jonesbroker

Sep 17, 2005
Need help. Just changed oil in 03 KLX400 and threads say 1.7-1.8L is the capacity when changing both oil/filter. Started adding oil and before first litre is empty, it starts overflowing. Turned the engine over thinking that it might need to circulate some oil, then shut the engine off. Started to add rest of first litre and it overflowed again. Checked the level by dipstick and it shows over full. What am I doing wrong? Thanks, Gene.

jonesbroker

Sep 17, 2005
dry sump

I am not sure, but I think it may be a dry sump motor. Have misplaced my owners manual so I am just changing it the way I have always changed my oil. Drain the oil, replace the filter, install the drain plug, and fill with oil. the thing that makes me think that is the oil goes in the frame up by the steering head. I will take another look tomorrow to see if there might be a drain on the frame somewhere.

B

biglou

There will be a drain bolt on the frame just behind and below the bottom of the front fender. Generic procedure is to warm up the bike for about 60 seconds, then drain both the case and the frame. I've always gotten as much or more oil out of the frame when changing four-strokes. I bet that's why you are over filling.

Top Bottom