klx after market muffler combinations

KLXoldguy

Apr 2, 2001
What would be a good aftermarket muffler for my klx300. I am using the stock head pipe and the stock carb. What I am looking for is light wieght and low noise. I am not looking for more horsepower. If I can remove a few lbs. that's just like adding more power. less sound=more ground Thanx KLXoldguy

------------------

KLeeneX300

Dec 4, 1999
I would change your head pipe first. The stock one is not very good. The cost of a oversize header is around $150 vs. $200 to $300 for the muffler.

------------------
KLeeneX300
   -To spodely go where no spode has gone before

Boit

Sponsoring Member
Sep 5, 2000
Have you ever looked inside the head flange where it mates o the exhaust port? Kawasaki didn't do a very good job on the weld. Mine had an enormous bead just inside the head pipe where the flange is welded on. Using a Dremel tool and grinding wheel, I worked on that weld until I had it nicely chamfored so that it didn't restrict the exhaust flow....well, not as bad as before. That made a huge difference in how the engine ran. After riding the bike for a while, I decdied I needed more ooomph...so I sent the engine to Stroker Speed Equipment for a 338cc kit. (My bike is a '94 KLX250). The stock exhaust just wouldn't do for my new motor so I went with a Stroker ceramic coated oversized pipe mated to an "S" bend Supertrapp silencer with the Snuff 'r not end cap. It's a bit loud but the overall power increase if phenomenal, plus it shaves off a few pounds. Big Gun makes a pretty nice system that has a tapered header mated to their silencer. It's also somewhat lighter. The stock silencer is a ship anchor.

------------------

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
changing te headpipe will save you about a pound. Kleenex is right though the aftermarket silencer is wasted without the headpipe change. The aftermarket silencer will save you 2-3 pounds. I would go with either the Stroker SX-1 or the FMF Powercore IV2. Any of the aftermarket silencers are going to be louder than stock. The 2 I mentioned are less annoying soundwise and are the most reasonably priced of the bunch. This is from someone who has owned 3 KLX's and I have tried many different combos of carbs, pipes and silencers( and I am still experimenting :).

------------------
You weren't born knowing this stuff.

mike s

Apr 29, 2000
My son has a 00 KLX with the Stroker SX1 and head pipe,35mm pumper carb, breather kit, unifilter,shift kit. THIS BIKE ROCKS!!!!! The power is smooth and easy to ride,can climb anything and just fun to ride.( sometimes i will have to start it for him and he wont get it back untill i have had my fun on it) I have a wr and the klx is un beatable in the tight stuff. After all your motor work be prepared to work on the suspension.

------------------

Top Bottom