KLX cylinder hone or resleeve?

Pozi

Feb 5, 2002
I torn down my 95 KLX 250 engine last night and noticed that there are considerable amounts of scores down the cylinder wall.
I am new to motorcycle engines and my question is whether or not this can/should be honed or resleeved. And where do folks recommend places for this service?

I have already a OEM top end kit ready for a rebuild.

Thanks

Pozi

Dewster

Feb 4, 2002
The KLX's have a electrofusion bore which means that a new cylinder sleeve or replating is required for oversizes. My suggestion would be to have the cylinder mic'd (stock bore X stroke 72.0 x 61.2) 11.0:1 compression ratio. Those cylinders would need to have alot of wear to require this but it does happen. If so, I would suggest going with a big bore kit. The price difference is almost null if you decide to resleeve it and you could get almost another 100cc's out of it. Call Stroker or visit them at www.strokerspeedequipment.com. They know everything there is to know about KLX's.

But on the other hand, if the bike is not smoking and you haven't noticed a significant loss of power, then get a set of rings and slap that baby back togther :aj: . A light hone job should do the trick.

Top Bottom