BruceKLX

May 20, 2000
Originally posted by DougRoost
Good input, WR250Z. Yet it seems to disagree wtih KLX Spode's post that Stroker said not to use the 35mm FCR unless the bike is highly modified. Also, does your signature mean you now have a blue bike?:eek:

Bigger question. I love PlanetKLX and think it's an awesome resource for this somewhat obscure but cool bike. Yet it doesn't appear it's been updated since last year. Is it still "the premier thumper planet on the world wide web" or has it fallen victim of neglect? Did SpodeKill just stop posting his excellent info there and that killed it? Case in point, the exhaust info there is apparently covering some mufflers that are no longer made. Nor is there coverage of the 35mm FCR carb, just the Mikunis.

Problem one is, it is hard to update things about a bike that hasn't changed in five years. Problem two is unless people submit information to the site about the mufflers and carburators you wish to learn about then there is nothing to update. Buy a few FCR's and a couple Mikuni's, do a write up about it and submit it to Kirk. Then buy the latest crop of muflers and do the same. We would all like to read about them. Kirk agreed to take over the site when Spodekill didn't have the time. He makes no money from it, and does what he can. I am sure he has more pressing things in his life. He has asked in the past if any of the members of the list would be willing to take it over, no one was willing. He also asked if any of the list members thought the mailing list should be moved to a different server. No one really gave him any suggestions. Maybe you should offer to help him out. I'm sure he would welcome the help.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I'd love to be able to "Buy a few FCR's and a couple Mikuni's, do a write up about it and submit it to Kirk. Then buy the latest crop of muflers and do the same." However, I'm the one balking at paying $500 for the FCR and $200 for a muffler in the first place!

I know maintaining the site is a personal time commitment and that Kirk is dependent on owners submitting info. I also know that many of the people who did the original submission on the Mikuni carbs now run FCRs, so it would be nice if they could share their experience and why they switched to freshen up this great resource for KLXs. Likewise for exhaust systems -- if there's new info out there let's get it to Kirk.

Also, I really wouldn't give up beer to save 3lbs. Maybe quitting the clean plate club or switching to lite beer is more accurate. But you get the idea: weight savings alone does not justify a muffler that is really no better than the stocker (and may not even last as long). At this point the headpipe I see, the muffler I don't. I'd love to hear there's a compelling system out there that adds performance without being obnoxiously loud and/or makes the bike sound significantly better.

WR250Z

Sep 21, 1999
Many of your questions can be answered thru a search in the List and it's archives....that is if\when it's working. I know with the BG exhaust, I went thru some 6 months to get it quieter without a power loss....then I needed it spark arrested. I had gone thru some trials and tribulations with the 36mm mik(along with others) and the FCR, some or most of that is in the list archives. It'd be great if someone compiled it all but the list works fine too. Kirk has done a great job with the site and maybe I'm an exception but I can't complain about the thing at all.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
WR250Z, you're correct, it's in the list archives as I'd found some nuggets in there several weeks ago. I even emailed the list manager that it would be great if he had a way to contact the contributors and ask them to update articles so the lower tech and newer people would get the up-to-date info. After I sent that I recall digging further back and seeing SpodeKill remark in one of his older emails (had to be since his KLX was stolen last December) that it was time to post his latest findings on PlanetKLX for all to see. Now that the email server is down it would be even nicer. But we all only have so much time.

Top Bottom