KLX Spode

Feb 29, 2000
Right now I have the Stroker headpipe and a FMF Megamax w/spark arestor silencer. I really am not happy with the FMF silencer, sound, wieght or loss of low end.What muffler are you other KLXr's running? A friend has the Stroker muffler but it is just so LONG! Any help is appreciated!

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
the megamax is the one with the discs isn't it? that is the problem with the tuneable disc type silencers. you have to experiment with different numbers of discs to bring back the missimng bottom power. I am running the FMF power core IV2 and it rips! I used to have a procircuit platinum pipe (It is a disc type) on one of my KLX's and it took one whole afternoon adding and removing discs and testing before I got the power where I wanted it, then i never had to mess with it again

tlm

Feb 20, 2001
I have to agree with Penguin, which makes me think of my days in Catholic school. I have the Stroker head pipe and FMF Power Core IV-2 and it delivers across the band with authority. I had the Power Core with the stock head pipe and it was certainly better than just pulling the butt plug. But the Stroker Head pipe gave just a bit more down low in the power and I do love the sound. Not as quiet as I might like but it makes me sing when I ride. Thank god it is louder than my singing or nobody would ride with me. FMF claims 3.5 lbs. less than stock which is a plus. Broke even when I added the Baja kit in the weight.

Tim

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I've just recently picked my bike up about 6 weeks ago. So far I've just done all the free mods to open it up. After reading the exhaust comparison on the Hop-ups section of PlanetKLX, I've decided for now just to keep mine stock, so I added the Stroker turn-down tip to the stock muffler.

I'm sure I could add a few HP with an aftermarket one but none impressed me enough for the price. The pumper carb sounds like money better spent, but Stroker wants $500 for that Keihin FCR!!! $325 was making me gulp but I was still going to do it, $500 is hard to justify.

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
Strokers prices are hard to justify. I love Stroker's stuff as much as the next KLX owner, and I have lots, but it's like buying snap on tools and feeling like you got a deal...not

matt

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
amen to that, I search the internet ferociously trying to find alternate sources for KLX parts. I have even been known to use oem Kawasaki parts if the price was right;)

One Dollar

Mar 15, 2001
I agree with DougRoost, I can't justify the price of the muffler with what I'll get in performance. I already have a 33 pumper and Stroker header with all the other free mods. The weight saving would be the sole reason for me purchasing a muffler. But for a little more cash I can get a steering dampner which is the way I'm going for my next mod.

KLX Spode

Feb 29, 2000
Thanks for the help! I have a 33mm pumper from stroker and several other mods. I tried the stock muffler for a while, but the difference is substantial, especially on the top-end, with the FMF along with the difference in weight. I have bought several items from Stroker and never thought their prices were very far out of line. I have bought the 33 Mikuni, hot start, manual decompression, MX-style rear fender, and had them do my suspenssion re-work and I have always gotten exceptional help from them. I cannot recommend a company more highly than Larry's! I am probably leaning towards the FMF PC IV2, but also wanted to know if anybody has used the Pro Circuit, too.
BTW, unless you have done EXTENSIVE mods, Stroker does not recommend the FCR. Lsrry's comments were that the Mikuni is much easier to tune for someone with average mechanical skills and the added performance would not be noticed without a bored and stroked motor.

Last edited:

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Funny, when I called out there a week or so ago they told me they no longer recommend the Mikuni, especially the 36mm which they say they had a lot of problems with. For my essentially stock KLX300 they told me the only carb they would recommend was the FCR 35mm. I even gave them the chance to sell me, saying I had finally rationalized $325 but couldn't justify $500 for the FCR, even if it did fit better and all. Perhaps Larry needs to talk to his people to better educate them or get them aligned.

As for weight savings, I figure I can knock 3 pounds off ME by just cutting back a little on beer. Plus, it will save money rather than cost me $200+ for a new muffler! Now if there were real power there plus a way better sound, then I'm all over it. But that's just not what I'm hearing.:D

One Dollar

Mar 15, 2001
Originally posted by DougRoost
...As for weight savings, I figure I can knock 3 pounds off ME by just cutting back a little on beer...

That's what I thought...but at 41 I'm finding out that weight doesn't want to go away that easily and I will NOT cut back on beer :).

WR250Z

Sep 21, 1999
The 33mm Mik is a decent carb but the 36 is very finicky. I literally had to adjust it each time I rode. But I think it's the most effective carb for all out speed..it makes mine a bit nasty. The FCR is a friendly carb...it's not real finicky and it's an easy fit. The 33mm is good for lowend but the 36mm made my 331 a monster...I just wish it was more reliable.
BTW, I think it's easier to buy the exhaust than to cut back on beer.

Funny, when I called out there a week or so ago they told me they no longer recommend the Mikuni, especially the 36mm which they say they had a lot of problems with. For my essentially stock KLX300 they told me the only carb they would recommend was the FCR 35mm.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Good input, WR250Z. Yet it seems to disagree wtih KLX Spode's post that Stroker said not to use the 35mm FCR unless the bike is highly modified. Also, does your signature mean you now have a blue bike?:eek:

Bigger question. I love PlanetKLX and think it's an awesome resource for this somewhat obscure but cool bike. Yet it doesn't appear it's been updated since last year. Is it still "the premier thumper planet on the world wide web" or has it fallen victim of neglect? Did SpodeKill just stop posting his excellent info there and that killed it? Case in point, the exhaust info there is apparently covering some mufflers that are no longer made. Nor is there coverage of the 35mm FCR carb, just the Mikunis.

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
Planet KLX was started by Spodekill; I think he didn't have the time for it and offered the upkeep to another KLX list member. It needs some serious updating, but as far as I know it is still the best KLX specific web site.

matt in Clovis
97 KLX300

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
You're correct. After my previous post I decided to visit SpodeKill's ZeroGravity site and sent him some email. He replied that he did indeed turn it over to another guy awhile back, after his KLX365 was stolen last December. I felt just horrible for him since that bike was so unique and personalized. Anyway, he didn't want to go through it all again so he bought a KTM thumper (wanted a 400EXC but got a 520MXC since that's what he could find, and I'd have done the same thing in his shoes).

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
Just went to an enduro this weekend and saw a new KTM 400 and a 520 EXC. There was even a new 380 for crying out loud. Talk about a great economy, orange bikes are falling out of the sky in Central Cal.

I felt sick to my stomach when Scott's 365 was ripped off. He went through so much work on it, and even detailed a lot of steps on his web site, down to powder coating the frame. A true shame...

matt in Clovis
97 KLX3OO

KLX Spode

Feb 29, 2000
Wilson's M/C downtown here in Fresno sells a TON of KTM's! I actually entertained the thought of buying the 380 a couple of months back when they had an excellent deal on it. I am WAY too old and slow witted for that bike now, though.:) It is kinda sad that he KLX site has bone to heck lately. Nice info on the enduro you sent me , Matt. You time keep a little better than me!:scream:

Michael Coons

Apr 12, 2000
If you want more power from your FMF Megamax, it can be done, but it is at the cost of stealth. I have mine w/o quiet core and 22 disks. You will not recognize it, as the same pipe. Everyone talks about losing bottom end on this pipe and found I gained, on the bottom end and especially the mid range, it even has a hit the stocker, does not have. IMO the engineers
started with an open pipe and the spark arresting was an afterthought.

I do however have some complaints, you have to run 100x100 tires due to the clearance. I am planning installing rubber bushings to get the pipe away from tire, so I can run 100x110. Admittedly I lose on the top end and I have to give the nod to the stocker in this respect. Just a side note, I have the 33 mm Mikuni & the WB header.

Currently have bike down to bare frame, still WAITING to get 331 kit from Stroker, (been 3 weeks) and had suspenders done by Scotts Performance, so waiting to get bike back together to go riding. Riding the couch sucks !!!

If you want to ditch your FMF Megamax, send to me, I'll take it.

MC

WR250Z

Sep 21, 1999
Actually i just sold my blue bike...it was a '95 wr250 2 stroke(known as the yz4 killer). Anyway, I have a klx300 that's been bored to 331 and all the motor mods Stroker had to offer...stainless valves, cams,etc. To me, the FCR is nice...starts well and doesn't need alot of adjustment. I also have a BigGun header\SAmuffler exhaust that boosts power but isn't built too well. When I had the 36mm with the BG race core, it felt like a loud 2 stroke. It could zap and squirt between trees quickly but with the FCR and tamed exhaust, it feels more 4-stroke-ish.

Good input, WR250Z. Yet it seems to disagree wtih KLX Spode's post that Stroker said not to use the 35mm FCR unless the bike is highly modified. Also, does your signature mean you now have a blue bike?:eek:

One Dollar

Mar 15, 2001
What happened to the Planet KLX e-mail List? Can't seem to get on anymore :(

Sure wish there was a more modernized bike specific forum like ThumperTalk has for the DRZ, YZF/WR, XL, and KTM

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Agreed. Maybe I could get my headlight bulb question answered there! (see separate post if interested).:D

tlm

Feb 20, 2001
I sent an email to the list and it did notbounce or come back to me. It appears the list is down. When I went to Planet KLX the archieved messages are there but they are older posts, not recent ones. I am so very sad.:(

Who do we contact for support?

Tim

sparkymarky

Feb 21, 2001
As for weight savings, I figure I can knock 3 pounds off ME by just cutting back a little on beer. Plus, it will save money rather than cost me $200+ for a new muffler

umm, that's a really stupid idea. cut out food if you must, but be reasonable! i could also cut off a few pounds by carrying fewer tools, but that would be almost as stupid as cutting back on beer. not gonna happen.
mw

Last edited:
Top Bottom