HOYDAJJ

Sep 11, 2000
I'm going to change the shift star on my 2001 KLX 300, I am simply wondering what is involved with changing this piece? What needs to be taken out before I can get to where I can change the star? Finally, about how long does it take?

captdirt

Apr 24, 2001
It's a piece of cake. There was a great set of instructions at Planet KDX but the site is down. Maybe somebody here can help with finding it. I moditied the star myself using a fine wheel and keeping it cool so I didn't lose the temper in the metal and used a piece of delrin instead of aluminum for the spring preload. Works dandy and well worth the hour it took to do it. Good luck,

Marklx

May 24, 2001
There's a decent picture of the modified shift star on the Stroker site. The planetklx site was perfect for this, but from memory, it is a pretty straightforward deal once the side case is off. I don't think you even have to drain the oil with the bike on its side.

Captdirt,

Did you copy the stroker mods exactly, and how does it work. My '01 is missing more shifts by the day, and it couldn't be me, right? Where'd you pick up the delrin spacer, and do you remember the size?

Thanks,

Mark G.

sparkymarky

Feb 21, 2001
i had excellent results by saving the money and doing the following:
1) move shifter 1 spline lower, so it's easier to make a positive and complete shift upwards.

2) put on a 13t sprocket, so i rarely have to use 1st gear. i have only ever had problems when i'm lazy shifting from 1st to 2nd.

-mw

captdirt

Apr 24, 2001
I just matched my gear to the pictures and smoothed everything with fine emery cloth when done. The delrin was just a scrap from a door slide. Tough and east to work with. I agree with the previous post on lazy shifting. Rode Hollister Monday and the only shift problems were when I got lazy, contrary to previous ride (I just bought the bike) when it jumped out of second several times. BTW, just did the Stroker idle gear change last night and until you feel how poorly the stock gear fits you won't believe it! Should be the first thing anybody does to their KLX. Hot start kit also worked wonders.

Marklx

May 24, 2001
Captdirt,

Did you happen to save those pictures, or know where they can be found. I knew I should've saved those planetklx web pages.

Mark

Top Bottom