kevkon

Sponsoring Member
Feb 20, 2001
If you are refering to the YZF or WRF, the Yamaha would come out on top. I would not really see the point to such a comparison, especially knowing the criteria the magazine writers employ. I don't think anyone could argue that from a pure absolute performance point of view the Yamaha is superior. That should be no surprise to anyone as the Yamahas are newer in design and more narrowly defined. The Klx is more broadly designed as well as being older. For most riders who don't race and ride in a variety of conditions, the Klx is ,I think, the better choice. With modifications and a good rider the Klx can hold its own against most 4-strokes.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
BruceKLX, I agree that a $1000 gets you some good stuff on a KLX. You also have to give Yamaha the credit they deserve for pushing the 4 stroke limit and getting some competition going to improve the lot. This alone gives them plenty of ink in mags -- they're pushing it pretty hard, down to the 80cc 2 stroke class with the YZ-125F now.

Like many KLX riders, I just wish Kawi would get off the sidelines so it wasn't just a Yamaha-Honda shootout. They've always been known for great engines -- both on and offroad. I just don't think they're focused on it the way Yamaha and now Honda are. Perhaps JetSki business has been too brisk...

BruceKLX

May 20, 2000
Unfortunately for all of us who like the green bikes, it is only a tiny part of Kawasaki. When I say tiny, I mean such a small part of their income they could do away with motorcycles completely and not be harmed at all. They are ship builders first and foremost and heavy Equipment builders second. Not to mention some of the other BIG ventures they have their hands in. In the price range they are selling the KLX/KDX you will not find the same technology. No other manufacturer sells perimeter framed, liquid cooled, upside down forks, lightweight bikes for the price you can buy these machines. I don't necesarrily believe the WRF would come out on top, maybe in the magazines it would but not in the real world. The only advantage it has is suspension. The KLX has everything the blue bike does plus a few more cubic centimeters. Everything they are saying about the Yamaha was said about the KLX. I remember when it came out, it was claimed to handle and feel like a 125 by the magazines. As a matter of fact check the geometry numbers they are the same as previous KX 125's;) No doubt the Yamaha is an outstanding machine, but I asure you it is as overated as the KLX is underated.

Sierra Flash

Dec 29, 2000
I don't necesarrily believe the WRF would come out on top, maybe in the magazines it would but not in the real world. The only advantage it has is suspension.

I had a KLX300 then bought the WR250 and believe me there is no comparsion, the WR will just kill the KLX. The way you can rev the WR
in gears is beyond comprehension plus you can ride it forever it seems
without getting tired. The suspension is worlds apart and it shifts and stops without thinking, everyone I know who hitches a ride on one is ready to
buy. With the WR you are going to get faster and stay healthier in the process. To my surprise the WR is a great motocross bike as well just use
2nd and 3rd and don't let off. Hey I did not believe the hype until I rode one
and then I went searching immediately and was lucky enough to find one.

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
The YZF/WR are fine bikes, but "kill the KLX"? Maybe in wide open conditions but not in the woods. Being able to rev to the moon is not always a good thing, the KLX will rev to 11k, thats winding pretty tight. Ride the 2 bikes all day in tight woods and the tables are turned. It all comes down to rider skill anway. Of course if I had just plunked down nearly 6 grand for a bike, I would not want to even think that a $4200 trailbike would even be able to smell my exhaust:p

kevkon

Sponsoring Member
Feb 20, 2001
That was my point , that "absolute" performance does not always mean much in the real world. These magazine comparisons or "shootouts" are flawed in the sense that they tend to focus on only certain riding conditions that may not actually matter to the average rider.In the same way many people look soley at maximum horsepower or minimum weight as opposed to usable power and weight distribution. Not to mention reliability ,ergonomics, and other more mundane factors.

BruceKLX

May 20, 2000
Originally posted by penguin
The YZF/WR are fine bikes, but "kill the KLX"? Maybe in wide open conditions but not in the woods. Being able to rev to the moon is not always a good thing, the KLX will rev to 11k, thats winding pretty tight. Ride the 2 bikes all day in tight woods and the tables are turned. It all comes down to rider skill anway. Of course if I had just plunked down nearly 6 grand for a bike, I would not want to even think that a $4200 trailbike would even be able to smell my exhaust:p

I will line up with a WR250f any day of the week in wide open conditions, trals or anything else for that matter. Last time I lined up for a dead engine start, I beat a few 426's to the first turn and beat them to the finish line with a couple minutes to spare. So I don't think the 250 would concern me too much.:eek:

kevkon

Sponsoring Member
Feb 20, 2001
I think the only real downside to the KLXs lack of popularity is that there isn't as much available in the aftermarket parts market. Also , as much as Stroker has done in terms of increased performance for the KLX , I can only imagine how much more could be available if there was some more competition.

Sierra Flash

Dec 29, 2000
The YZF/WR are fine bikes, but "kill the KLX"? Maybe in wide open conditions but not in the woods. Being able to rev to the moon is not always a good thing, the KLX will rev to 11k, thats winding pretty tight. Ride the 2 bikes all day in tight woods and the tables are turned. It all comes down to rider skill anway. Of course if I had just plunked down nearly 6 grand for a bike, I would not want to even think that a $4200 trailbike would even be able to smell my exhaust --

All the people I know who have tried to race KLX's have some major injuries
for pushing that trail bike too hard. 6K is cheap considering you could not
make a KLX as good investing 7K, I have yet to see any top riders on the
KLX in national enduros but have seen Hawkins on the WR250 right up in
the top rung, and Davis at the worlds getting a 4th. If you are going to go
fast and want to stay healthy get a race bike to race and a trail bike to
trail. Hope you keep the green right side up with no down time healing.

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
get a race bike to race and a trail bike to trail

people keep telling me that and I keep coming out ahead of those same people at the end of the ride or race. Blue, green or red, yellow ,orange, they are all dirtbikes and we like em all regardless.:cool:

Last edited:

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
what?

Originally posted by Sierra Flash but have seen Hawkins on the WR250 right up in the top rung, and Davis at the worlds getting a 4th. If you are going to go fast and want to stay healthy get a race bike to race and a trail bike to
trail.[/B]

If Hawkins was on a KLX he'd win, I don't think the results of a rider of Hawkins caliber depends on the bike, he's going to come out on top no matter what color the bike is.

BruceKLX

May 20, 2000
Originally posted by Sierra Flash

If you are going to go fast and want to stay healthy get a race bike to race and a trail bike to
trail. Hope you keep the green right side up with no down time healing.

Thats a ridiculas statement. Tell Jeff Fredette you can't win on a trail bike(KDX). Tell Scott Summers you can't win on a trail bike(XR). Tell Johnny Cambell he can't win on a trail bike(XR). Tell Mike Kiedrowski you can't win on a trail bike(DRZ). And of course you could "try" to tell Larry Roeseller he can't win on a trail bike(KLX) or anything else he swings a leg over. Ty Davis raced a KLX in the fourstroke Nationalals, and did very well. Tell the hoards of guys who show up at Enduro's and Harescrambles that they can't possibly race their trail bikes.

Don't underestimate the potential of any motorcycle based on your own inabilities.

kevkon

Sponsoring Member
Feb 20, 2001
Getting back to the origional thread, the KLX is a great bike for the money. I think for the majority of off-road bikers it would be hard to find another bike which has so many good attributes and which is as versitile.
If you choose to race it or limit the type of riding you do, then the bike is a very good foundation for modifications.

Mark16q

Apr 20, 2001
Bought my klx300 about a month, the check has just cleared, and all this is making me feel great about the purchase. If I didn't own one, I'd say you guys work for Kawasaki. But it really is a great bike for the $. I'll probably put a couple hundred max into dialing the suspension, and that's it. The bike is fun, quick, and has potential to do lots more if I ever remember how to turn my right wrist further.

Mark

tlm

Feb 20, 2001
I feel the love!

I have had my KLX for three months and have done the free mods, a Baja kit and Stroker head pipe and FMF Power Core IV on and I can ride anywhere in California, anytime. I have invested $800 and am still under the price of a lovely Blue bike. I will do the suspension next and come in aorund the price of the baby blue. Big diference is my bike is tailored to my needs when I am done.

I have ridden the YZ 426 and WR 250 and they certainly have their strengths but I am in my 40's, not as fast as I used to be. the fun is in the riding and no matter what you ride, you will get dirty and have fun. The KLX fits my need and every time I think blue thoughts I ride Big Green and GRIN.

Tim

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
Amen to that. I am way closer to 50 than 40 myself and my little gree monster suits me just fine. Let the young heroes have their fun on thos high strung race bikes and we can come along later and pick theri broken butts up off the ground :p

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
Amen to that. I am way closer to 50 than 40 myself and my little green monster suits me just fine. Let the young heroes have their fun on those high strung race bikes and we can come along later and pick their broken butts up off the ground :p

One Dollar

Mar 15, 2001
41 yr. old KLX lover here too :) I was lucky to find a KLX that had alot of mods already (header, pumper, hot start, idle gear fix). I have not gotten to the point yet where my riding has surpassed the suspension so clicking the stock has been fine for me for now. A damper and muffler will be next with suspension coming later as I ride faster.

Even after all the additions I want to add plus what I got it for used I'll still be about $1500 less than a stock blue bike :D

kevkon

Sponsoring Member
Feb 20, 2001
Looks like Kawasaki has found its target market:D Do you think they will be coming out with an off-road wheelchair soon:p

Sierra Flash

Dec 29, 2000
Looks like Kawasaki has found its target market Do you think they will be coming out with an off-road wheelchair soon-----

LMAO That was funny, in earlier posts I thought these guys were blazing
fast beating all those racing bikes in Cross Country races. Now I find
they count all the broken bikes and sticks they pass.

tlm

Feb 20, 2001
And KLX user's have no self esteem issues. Just a very finely developed sense of humor. Green does not equal envy.

I do love this place, I just laughed my a.. off with the last coments, Penguin get that knee healed up so you can get back in the dirt.

Tim

One Dollar

Mar 15, 2001
...at least we're not riding quads.. :) I'm not that slow yet :D

These youngins think that it's all about having a faster, tricker bike, they'll learn soon enough that the joy of riding comes from looking within, not looking around (or ahead or behind :) )

Last edited:

Marklx

May 24, 2001
And we're riding! All summer long.

I'm getting lots of flack from friends for getting an "outdated" 4 stroker. All the age and slow jokes you can think of. Funny part is, they are all riding this weekend and then calling it quits for a while, 'cuz they are red sticker. Just got my green sticker yesterday, and will wave it proudly.

Enjoy the long weekend!

Mark

sparkymarky

Feb 21, 2001
haha. luckily, in much of norcal, the sticker color is not an issue (except shasta and foresthill that i know of).

much is made of how fast a bike is, but a bike is definitely only as fast as its rider can ride it. a good rider on an xr200 would wipe up any enduro course with me and my klx or me and any other bike you could name. klx's are inexpensive bikes that are not finicky and can be made to go fast if you want, plus they're eligible for license plates in california. what more could i want (except skills).
mw

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom