Pitbull

Apr 10, 2001
Hey, today I rode a Kawie KLX. That is a really sweet bike. I was really impressed. My friends dad had just bought it. I REALLY like this bike, might consider buying one one day. The most comfortable bike I have ridden of the floor. Not gonna give up my KX just yet, but when I start looking for a good trail bike, I am looking at one of these first. Kinda heavy, but really friendly, and easy to ride. What does everyone think about his bike?

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
Heavy? I thought one of the KLX's strengths was it's lighter weight and the way people can throw them around in the woods or tight stuff. I havn't had many bikes so I guess I don't know, but while I can't beat my riding buddies in the straights of a desert, I can pull away from them when it turns tight.

I bought mine in 97, and just this year I'm realizing I need more power. I'm 200 pounds so you can't really blame me. I was thinking of a 400 thumper, mainly a E/XC, but low & behold I have the great privalge of living in the State of California, and they don't issue green stickers for any 400cc 4 strokes anymore except XR's & ATK's, so you get a red sticker. Just what I need, the government telling me when it's okay to ride and when I should just stay home. I seriously thought about just saying screw it, buy it, and ride in 'off times' if I want. I know where they'll check and where they won't. But, I want to be a good example of a responsible OHVer. Without a green sticker, a dirt bike might as well be a boat anchor in my garage, so I won't be buying a new bike. I guess my KLX it is then.

I think I'll stroke the thing out to 365cc, White Brothers E series exhaust (best for the KLX I hear), suspension redone by Stroker with the link kit, black plastic, and a black Stroker seat. Whoa wait, that might be as much as a new bike.

matt

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I like the KLX. In my opinion a good handling and reliable trail bike is what I'm looking for. My KDX is a great bike for trails, I'm in the process of making it less tractor like though :eek: but I think the next bike I buy will have valves and turn signals.

Boit

Sponsoring Member
Sep 5, 2000
I have a '94 KLX..was a 250...now it's a 338. Stroker did the engine and suspension work and made it into one fantastic bike. At the time I bought it, there was not much available in the way of good quality 4-stroke off road bikes. The XR's are good machines, but I wanted something with a bit more potential. It has been competitive in the 250 MX class for me...even getting a holeshot or two. The 6-speed transmission is not the best thing for MX work, but it sure hits the target on trails. With the much increased power, better suspension, and carefully jetted carb on C-12, the bike is by far the MOST fun machine I have ever ridden. With the Stroker suspension, I find it to be better than my YZ 426, and the engine has been perfectly reliable even after being bored and stroked. I don't see why Kawasaki doesn't use the KLX as a base for developing a full blown 4-stroke MX machine.

Pitbull

Apr 10, 2001
MX bike

I think Kawasaki should use the KLX motor in a 4 stroke MX bike. I have seen some modified KLX's out at the local MX track. They always run with the yz400's with no problem. They seem to be pretty versatile also, can be fast both in the woods and on the track. Really awesome bike in my mind.;)

Boit

Sponsoring Member
Sep 5, 2000
I have a '94 KLX..was a 250...now it's a 338. Stroker did the engine and suspension work and made it into one fantastic bike. At the time I bought it, there was not much available in the way of good quality 4-stroke off road bikes. The XR's are good machines, but I wanted something with a bit more potential. It has been competitive in the 250 MX class for me...even getting a holeshot or two. The 6-speed transmission is not the best thing for MX work, but it sure hits the target on trails. With the much increased power, better suspension, and carefully jetted carb on C-12, the bike is by far the MOST fun machine I have ever ridden. With the Stroker suspension, I find it to be better than my YZ 426, and the engine has been perfectly reliable even after being bored and stroked. I don't see why Kawasaki doesn't use the KLX as a base for developing a full blown 4-stroke MX machine.

kevkon

Sponsoring Member
Feb 20, 2001
I would think a KLX re-vamp is about due, I wonder if the MX 4-stroke bikes have caused Kawasaki to delay?

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
I agree Kevkon that Kawasaki is losing out on not updating this bike. I've heard rumors for the last several years about a 'KLX400', but every years it's been a disappointment. To add salt to the wound Kawasaki doesn't do any updates on this bike except BNG. Yamaha lead the way, then the DRZ, now Honda & it's new 450...come on Kawasaki, get with the program!

I don't know what I'm so excited about, even if a KLX400 was produced it probably wouldn't be granted the honor of a green sticker in the Republic of California. I gotta get outta this state!

matt

kevkon

Sponsoring Member
Feb 20, 2001
What exactly is req'd for a bike to recieve a green sticker,anyway? I thought most 4-strokes could qualify (we don't need stickers in NJ because there is no place to ride anymore!)

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
I thought most thumpers would be okay too, but sadly that's not the case. It was a rude awakening to read http://www.ama-d36.org/Lao/red_sticker_explanation.html and learn that dirk bikes in California are basicly being phased out by the excuse of emissions. To make it worse California has an 'Off Highway Motor Vechicle Recreation Division' http://www.calohv.ca.gov/html/ohvhome.htm that is stocked full of Davis' enviromental zealots (he get's to appoint three of the seven members) who'd like nothing better than to shut the OHV area's down, using any excuse they can. What'll likely happen is more restrictions to Red Sticker's from CARB http://www.arb.ca.gov/homepage.htm, but slowly...they don't want the outcry to be too loud.

I just learned most of this recently, after I'd wanted to by a 400 E/XC. I'm still disappointed :(

One Dollar

Mar 15, 2001
I can't say enough about how great this bike is. I've riden 2-smokes all my life but really love the woods and tight sandy trails here in Florida. The KLX is a dream to ride. Now my last "woods" bike was a '91 YZ250, yea not a good choice for that style of riding. As far as weight it is one of the lightest and easily handling bikes I've ever riden in the woods. Full of gas mine weighs 245 lbs., I weighed it on a scale at home one day.

Pitbull

Apr 10, 2001
weight

in my earlier post, I said it was kinda heavy, that was just a relative term, I am used to my kx125, and in my mind, it was alittle heavy. For a four stroke, it is a faily light weight bike. The more I think about it, the more I like it. ;)

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Yep, I'll echo the opinions here and say I really like mine. It's too bad it hasn't gotten the marketing and a few updates to take it out of obscurity. It was the first to have many of the goodies that the Yamaha's got, such as liquid cooling, DOHC, and inverted cartridge forks. And given that Larry has done so much R&D for them and winning with his 365, it's even more of a shame that Kawi didn't at least incorporate his fixes (shift star and idler gear).

Mine has been rebuilt since some total spode tried to ride it across the Rio Grande and hydro-locked it. The mechanic who rebuilt it built it using all stock components, putting nearly $1700 in parts in it. Too bad he didn't know about Larry and Stroker or it could have been so much nicer for the same money. Pretty soon I'm going to have to put in the shift star and idler gear I guess, but I'm having lots of fun with it. And PlanetKLX here in DRN is a great resource, even if it is a bit stale.

erac

Apr 9, 2001
Does anyone here wonder why DIRT BIKE did not include the KLX in their test of 250 4 stroke off-roaders. I know that the KLX is considered an open 4 stroke but I think this bike appeals to the same poeple that would look at an XR, DRZ or TT-R. I mean most people that are interested in those bikes do not necessarily intend to race it, so class distinction should not come into the picture. Just an observation.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I wondered about it and believe it gets back to the lack of marketing. Marketing 101: perception is reality. The perception is Kawi is not in this game. If pushed they'd probably rationalize it away as it's not a 250.

kevkon

Sponsoring Member
Feb 20, 2001
I wonder if there isn't more to it than Kawasakis marketing failure. Some of those mags are actually hostile towards the klx when they do condescend to mention its existence. Any way you look at it, you would have to go out of your way to avoid including the klx in some of their "shootouts" and yet they manage to do just that.

Fortunately, most of the mag articles are incredibly shallow and biased, so we are not missing much.

erac

Apr 9, 2001
Just makes you wonder how many people are missing out on a great bike because they read the mags and take it as gospel on which bike to buy.

BruceKLX

May 20, 2000
September 1999 Dirt Rider. which means they tested the 2000 models. They compared the XR, TTR, KLX all in completely stock condition. The KLX came out on top in all categories. Best suspension, best power, lightest weight, best frame, best handeling, and the easiest to go fast on and most potential for racing. The only thing they could find to complain about was the low footpegs.

kevkon

Sponsoring Member
Feb 20, 2001
Maybe Kawasaki didn't come thru with enough advertising dollars since that issue , since the KLX is ignored presently.
Of course it doesn't help that Kawasaki chose to avoid making any changes other than graphics on a bike with so much potential. When you consider the current popularity of off-road 4-strokes and the minor nature of some KLX "fixes" it is very puzzling that Kawasaki has not improved it.

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
The KLX is the most underrated dirtbike in history. In a different post on another forum I was told that I should never venture onto a MX track with my " casual trailbike" I guess I should apologize to all those guys i have beaten in cross-country races:p

BruceKLX

May 20, 2000
There are allot of bikes you don't hear much about. Most of the small fourstrokes or any bike that hasn't changed in a while. When the KLX was first being modified by Stroker, it seemed you couldn't pick up a magazine without reading about it. The same goes for the big KX's and CR's, or the KDX you just won't read about bikes that don't change. When they change you will read about them. I also agree with the Penguin, it is a very underated bike. My bike in it's current state, consistantly beats bigger and supposedly better bikes every time I line up with it. Although I have it set up for offroad, with very minor suspension tuning it is competant on a MotoX track.

erac

Apr 9, 2001
Hasn't the XR also gone mostly unchanged for a long period of time(about the same as the KLX)? The mags still seem to rave about it, according to BruceKLX's post the Kaw stomped a mud hole in the backs of both the TT-R(new then) and the XR. Then DB goes on to compare the XR to the WR and actually gives the nod to the XR in a few categories. I wonder how the KLX would compare to the new blue bike in a head to head battle.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I think the KLX is a better XR250. I couldn't believe that mag gave any nods to the XR over the WR since it really isn't close.

With mods I know guys with KLX365s can keep up or sometimes blast by WR400s, but it takes a lot of mods to both engine and suspension -- not to mention a good rider since rider is more important than the bike. The blue bikes are pretty nice out of the box, while the KTMs are IMO nicer still. But you also get what you pay for with each of them.

The KLX is a good value and has a lot of the right stuff, until you get pretty darned good and are ready to move up to either a bigger and better thumper or -- dare I say it -- perhaps even a big bore 2 smoke.:eek:

BruceKLX

May 20, 2000
Well if they give the XR the nod in a few catagories then the KLX would get a few more. They wouldn't want to throw a wrench at their new wonder bike now would they. After all Yamaha takes out five page adds, with pull out posters and all. The WR weighs no less than a KLX, has less low end and costs a thousand dollars more. For that thousand dollars you can do a lot of nice things to a KLX!!!!

Top Bottom