wgriffin

Sep 7, 2000
Just purchased an '04 KLX110 for my son, he's been riding an XR50 but outgrew it. Any time he stands up on the pegs his boot pushes the kickstarter back and you can hear the clicking noise like it's trying to engage. Also, after starting it seems that the return spring is weak or something because it won't return without helping it by hand. I called the dealer and they had not heard of it but said they would look at it. Just wondering if anyone else has seen or heard of this?

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
Haven't heard of that problem on the 110 although ours has had a bit of a hitch in it since the day we bought it. I'm waiting for it to break, but so far knock on wood...

Are you sure the kick starter isn't sticking between the foot peg and the frame? I'd check that first, if that's not the issue take it in for warranty service.

wgriffin

Sep 7, 2000
Thanks for replying. It's not hanging on the peg, frame or anything, just doesn't want to "snap" back up like it ought to. The dealer told me to ride it for now and they'll look at it at first service (4 tanks of gas).

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
Personally, I would not wait that long. That's a lot of miles on that gas miser. It seems like I top off our KLX about once a month.

jeddclampett

Oct 27, 2003
I was lurking on this board and upon coming cross your post, I wanted to respond to this.

When my son stands on the pegs and pushes the kicklever back, I can hear that ratchet sound coming on.

It seems like the return spring is not as stiff as it needs to be in order to keep the kick lever under tighter tension.

I'll be keeping tabs on this situation, and make a warranty claim if needed before my 6 mo warranty expires.

jcramin

~SPONSOR~
Aug 14, 2002
I have a 04 KLX110 for my son also, and we dont have that problem, our problem is the opposite, he is 8 years old and he cant kick it himself cause its too hard for him we had a PW80 before this and he had no problem kicking that.

A couple problems we do have is, it is VERY hard to start the first time, it takes 5 or 6 kicks just to get it to think about starting then usually 5 or 6 more to actually get it running the FIRST TIME that day. But once its started and warmed up it starts GREAT the rest of the day.

Another problem we have is if it falls over on the left side the oil we run out the crank case vent hose.

The first time we took it out, he washed out the front twice in turns and fell on the left side after 2 falls enough oil came out the vent hose that it was below the min oil level.

J

jski

Sponsoring Member
Apr 5, 2001
I don't want to take away from this topic by I am looking at getting a 110 for my 8 y/o that now has a PW 80 and was wondering if it is the right next bike?

jcramin

~SPONSOR~
Aug 14, 2002
Its the perfect next bike, thats why I took my 8 year old from a PW80 to the KLX110.

J

Top Bottom