ThumperPower

May 12, 2001
I just bought, and installed a stroker head pipe on my 97 KLX, i think the jetting is still pretty good, but seeing as how i have increased the headpipe diameter another 3/8's of an inch, i imagine a little jetting tweak is in order. Like i have said in past threads, i am horrible at jetting stuff. Is there a link that shows me a ruff starting point as to where i should be, my bike was previously jetted for an open airbox, an uncorked stock exhaust, and a stroker turn down tip. all i did was replace stock headpipe with strokers. Any help would be wonderful.

Scars are tatto's for the brave

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
you did not say what elevation you are at. No matter, there aren't any really tall mountains where you are are there? about the only thing you probably need to do is drop the clip on the needle one groove and adjust the fuel screw (under the front of the carb). that is all I did with my stock carb when I put the header pipe on and uncapped the stock muffler

Last edited:

ThumperPower

May 12, 2001
Couple thousand feet or so, i think 2800

but i will play with it tonight sometime. It was allready jetted pretty well so as long as i don't really screw it up. Shouldn't i raise the needle up one clip, give it more fuel, and then try and balance it with air screw?

I appreciate your help.

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
lowering the clip raises the needle and uncovers the jet more allowing more fuel, sooner. then play with the screw to set the off idle response.

Marklx

May 24, 2001
Same as what Tom said. Lower the clip (raise the needle on groove) and a bit richer on pilot screw.

Has worked fine from sea level to over 4000 feet

Mark

ThumperPower

May 12, 2001
Will do, it is really hot here, not to mention i took a bit of a digger the other nite, but i haven't dove into my carb yet, i will dig out my manual to read up on it, but is there a good way to work on the carb?

i.e. strip the tank or remove it?
any tricks are always nice to know.

Top Bottom