jdukelow

Mar 19, 2001
Hello All,

I currently have a Kawasaki 2000 KLX 300, and I am seriously considering a KTM 200 or 300 MX/C. I want to switch because while the KLX is a great trails bike, once the speeds or bumps get too high or too big, I really start to see its limitations. Looks like I'd have to spend a couple grand to get it more motorcross/race worthy. What I would like to know is how th MX/C's compare to a full blown motorcross bike? I'm looking for something between a trail bike and a motorcross bike. I've riden a KX250, and the suspension is just too racey (stiff?), and the power comes on too hard and too non-linear(remember, I'm coming from a boring 4-stroke!). Also, what are the main differences between the 200 and 300? I am 5'8", 165 lbs., intermediate rider. What do you think I'd be more happy on?

Thank You,

Jamie

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
At your height and weight the 200 would be better initially, IMO. After you are back in the 2-stroke power groove, you can always sell (probably at little or no loss) and get a 300, if you want the extra 9 or 10 hp.

Differences over your KLX, 6 - 7 more hp, and 40 lbs lighter (?), 2-stroke power, and higher resale (less depreciation).

In response to the mx question; you will be out of class of either bike, unless you are a vet. The MXCs have the same close ratios as the SX versions (in those models where both are made). Because of heavier flywheels they are not quite as 'zippy' as the SX bikes. The power is a lot more friendly and linear on either of the two bikes than a 250 motocross bike.

------------------
Strick '99 KTM 300mxc, AMA & BRC member

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Strick,
I thought you would say go and get the 300.

Seriously. The 200 is a great bike and has more than enough power. Look at what Watts has done so far on the 200. The 300 may be better for the transistion,you can lug it and chug around . Blip the throttle on the 300 and expect instant response.

Either bike is a good choice, try to get out and test ride if possible you will be impressed.

Mike S 99 300MXC

jdukelow

Mar 19, 2001
As far as the suspension goes, what can I expect from that? Is it more for trails, or can it hold its own on a motorcross track? I don't race, but I like to have fun on the local track. I've been thinking of entering some enduros/hare scrambles, and I know it would do well there. I'm just concerned about what the suspension feels like compared to a typical trail bike (like the KLX) and a motorcross bike (like the KX or KTM SX's). Also, is the 300 that much more powerful than the 200? Seems like the 200 is a lot lighter so the power to weight ratio could be similar to the 300?

Regards,

Jamie

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
Duke
Ah ha! A fellow Hollisterite.
I own a 2000 Ktm200exc. 6' 175lbs just moved up to B class in hare scrambles. DON'T worry about the power. That thing is fast. There isn't much difference between the mxc and exc besides the tranny. My bike works way better than I expected on the mx tracks, the mxc should be even better. The 200 also has the 125 frame and feels way lighter than any 300 I've ridden. I came off a cr250, so I know about power. I can ride the 200 way longer without the beating the 250 gave me.
As for the Kawi 300, no contest. Those things are painfully slow, and have weak suspension. They aren't built for the same kind of riding at all. The Kawi is a *****cat the Ktm is a tiger. Get a 99 or newer if possible. I will be selling mine in one year and getting the exact same model.

Mar 13, 2001
If you are even considering riding MX think about the 250MXC. I've got a '99 and love it. It's got more boost out of the basement than the 200 and it doesn't knock you out of the quarter liter classes like the 300. My wife has a '00 200EXC, also a great bike, she can do things on the KTM with much less effort than with her old KDX 200. Bottom line; no matter which KTM you go with it will be a much better bike than the KLX 300.

Proud to be "Euro Trash"

I used degreaser on my bike, and now its gone.

jdukelow

Mar 19, 2001
Angry Jim,

You wouldn't by chance want to let a fellow Hollisterite try out your bike at HH sometime would you? I'd let you try my green Cadillac...I mean KLX. Maybe we could meet there sometime...

P.S. You know anyone in the market for an excellent trail bike it great shape?

Let me know,

Jamie
jnkr4@juno.com

Originally posted by angry jim:
Duke
Ah ha! A fellow Hollisterite.
I own a 2000 Ktm200exc. 6' 175lbs just moved up to B class in hare scrambles. DON'T worry about the power. That thing is fast. There isn't much difference between the mxc and exc besides the tranny. My bike works way better than I expected on the mx tracks, the mxc should be even better. The 200 also has the 125 frame and feels way lighter than any 300 I've ridden. I came off a cr250, so I know about power. I can ride the 200 way longer without the beating the 250 gave me.
As for the Kawi 300, no contest. Those things are painfully slow, and have weak suspension. They aren't built for the same kind of riding at all. The Kawi is a *****cat the Ktm is a tiger. Get a 99 or newer if possible. I will be selling mine in one year and getting the exact same model.

Bliz

Dec 25, 1999
I switched from a 97 KLX 300 to a 99 KTM 200 and can honestly say that the two bikes have nothing in common at all. I am 5ft 9in 175lbs B rider and love my KTM 200 but would not suggest it unless you are an aggressive rider, since it can be a tiring bike. But it does handle better, has better suspension, and is much lighter. I have no regrets on my purchase and would recommend this bike for anyone who enjoys serious trailriding.

NH KTM #313

Mar 11, 2001
i still wn my 2000 klx300 and i absoultly love it
but you cannot compare it to the ktm
the ktm is a tiger the klx a cat
i raced my klx last year for scrambles , enduros , arenacross and mx and i loved it
but i have been introduced to the world of
real bikes go for it
i actually got the 125 exc so i can race in the 125 b class not the 250 class with the 200 these bikes rock and are rock solid
follow these guys advice though and check every nut and bolt before you ride

the bike off the floor is only as good as the dealer who assembled it

i had to grease everything and locktight almost everything

the 200 power is awesum the 300 is like a rocket ........

the big 4 are taking notice........

------------------
01 ktm 125 exc #313
00 klx300 #313
son-6 year old --lem 50 and jr 50
wife- 00 yam blaster
honda odyssey 350
keep the rubber side down
KEEP THE KID IN YOU ALIVE

teton

Dec 13, 2000
Hey Bliz, could you elaborate a little why your 200 is a tiring bike ? Does it beat you up, or is the power delivery hard to control or keep the front wheel going straight.
Watts could win on a XR75, can the avrage rider enjoy the 200. I had a KDX200 and the motor was nice, the rest of the bike was hard to adjust to, going fast!

Mike-200

Aug 22, 2000
I would think that a 200 is harder on the body than a klx for two reasons. First, its a two stroke which has snapier power, and isn't as smooth as a klx. Second, with the ktm's race-bred suspension and ergos, you can go faster over the same terrain than you could on a klx. I would recomend a ktm 200 to anyone who likes to ride hard(but,like me, not neccesarily fast).

------------------
'98 ktm 200exc

RMDUSTER71

Mar 27, 2001
To make a short story shorter I moved from a KDX175 to 300EXC. I'm 5'9" and 160lbs, I went with the 300 because I didn't want to out grow the 200EXC. I'll tell you this, the 300 is a beast and I'm still getting the suspension and carb dialed in. I ride with some guys that have the 200's but they envy the 300. Both bikes are great but when I get the 300 dialed in look out. If you go with the 300 be ready to hang on and remember that which ever one you go with do it with a smile! Kaw to a KTM you can't go wrong. They claim if your going to be in tight stuff all the time the 200 may be the bike. You just need to learn to manage the power of the 300 in the tight stuff.

------------------
2000 300EXC

[This message has been edited by RMDUSTER71 (edited 04-03-2001).]

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom