Dewster

Feb 4, 2002
I'm 31 years old and have been riding since I was a kid. Oh wait, I'm still a kid. Anyway, I've been through several bikes within the past few years. PE400, RM125, XR250, KX125. I'm currently looking at Kawasaki's KLX 300. Looks like a pretty good bike. I'm 5'9" 150lbs so it should be more than enough power for me. What has drawn my attention to it is the water cooled 292cc engine and the dry weight of only 230lbs. My XR was 240lbs and 43cc's less. My question is this, they've only been making the KLX300 since 97. Can anyone share any insight on the reliablity/durablity of these bikes? I do mostly trail riding, and yes, I've looked at all of the blue bikes. Sorry, but this KLX has my undivided attention right now.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
The KLX is a good trail bike and fairly reliable. I have heard of some starting issues but nothing major. There are some really good hop ups for the KLX but it gets expensive.

The weight is more than I like and the suspension is a little too plush but at your weight it should be ok. Just make sure you can lift it if you drop it.

Ivan

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
dude i have a 99 300 in stock form it's a bit slugish ,not that it's going to be a power house but there is more hiding there .go to www.planetklx.com more info than i can give here.2 things...the idler gear is a weak link and a slip back in neutral issue goin for 2nd gear otherwise very tough.both easily fixed.knock wood mine has been awesome re: reliability/durability,great handler,i've had an absolute blast with mine.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Agree with DC -- it's a good bike that can be amped up even further. It's kind of like a better XR250 in every way, just like you noticed. Starting is standard 4 stroke stuff -- has autodecompression even (just like the new CRF). The KLX isn't as much of an animal as say a YZF, but then it wasn't built as a race bike either. The only bike I'd sell mine for is a KTM thumper with e-start, which is saying a lot.

velosapiens

Mar 18, 2002
the klx is a great trail bike. even at your weight, you'll want stiffer springs in front. i've put around 2500 hard trail miles on my '01 klx, and the only thing it really needs now is to get the suspension revalved. it's my first kick start bike, and i've only had trouble starting it twice (more than 5-6 kicks). usually it fires up first 3 kicks when ice cold, and first kick when warm. even when i crash and flood it, it takes 4-5 kicks with the gas off, then turn it back on and fire away.

here is what i've done to mine (gradually, over 18 months):
1. .42 springs (stock is around .38) i weigh 165 lbs
2. taller seat and taller bars with way less sweep (i'm 6'2")
3. stroker header pipe and mikuni 33mm pumper carb (much better low end and acceleration)
4. stroker idler gear (the stock ones sometimes break teeth)
5 ride the crap out of it.

i think #5 is the most important.
-mark weaver

p.s. it's a great trail bike, but not a great race bike. rather than get crazy trying to make it faster, i'm just going to keep it for trail-riding and dualsport and buy a ktm to race.

Last edited:

Top Bottom