Mark16q

Apr 20, 2001
Just took off the airbox lid, did the breather vent trick, and had already removed butt plug. Pilot at 2 1/2 out, needle in the middle. Jetting seemed fine with airbox lid on, but bike now seems to stumble a little off idle. Low end ok, and wfo fine. Just hesitates in the middle. Any ideas. Also, stock main jet, CA spec bike.

KLX Spode

Feb 29, 2000
Go to your Kawi dealer and get the "49-State" needle. THe stock needle assembly is not adjustable and WAY too lean. It makes a Huge difference. I can't remember the part number, bu the dealer should be able to find it because it will be the adjustable needle, not the fixed as the CA only one.
You said you put the needle in the middle? If it's a CA bike, the needle is adjustable and only has one possition. At least I know they are that way after the 99 model. Hope that helps.

Mark16q

Apr 20, 2001
The dealer had installed the 49 state needle. They told me it is in the "middle position". Is that the right one for 49 state needle and air box mods?

Mark

sparkymarky

Feb 21, 2001
hmm. sounds like you should be pretty close. i have the needle in the middle position, pilot screw about 2 turns out, and airbox lid removed and exhaust plug removed, and my bike runs pretty much great everywhere. i would double-check the needle, just to be sure. it's really easy to get to. just pop off the seat, shrouds and tank, and you can unscrew the top of the carb. pull out the slide and diaphragm assembly, and the needle comes with it. verify that it really is the 49-state needle, and it really is in the middle setting. when reassembling, be sure the diaphragm is seated right around the lip.
mw

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
put the needle in the groove 1 up from the bottom. That is the way I set all 3 of my KLX's after uncorking it. You should not need to make any other adjustments except maybe the air screw. I rare cases you might need to go up 1 on the main jet, but it is rare.

Mark16q

Apr 20, 2001
Sounds like I need to pull out the needle and make sure it is where they said it is (and that it is in fact the 49 state needle).

Related ?....I heard that Ca spec vin's end with an L. Mine doesn't? The Kawi website says my warranty card should also show model # ending in L, but it doesn't either. Hmmm. Maybe they sold me a 49 state bike. Funny thing is, when I bought the bike, it was $20 less than original quote (which included the needle). Maybe that's why $20 less. Didn't need it and he was honest about it.

Thanks for the tips. Can't wait to go home and check it out.

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
the 49 state needle has more than one groove in it the CA spec needle has only one, they are the only needles available from Kawasaki for the KLX.

KLX Spode

Feb 29, 2000
Actually, the CA needle has NO groove, it just has what would be the clip molded into the top and only drops into the slide. I guess they figure nobody can tinker with it that way!

Top Bottom