Mark16q

Apr 20, 2001
Have just purchased an '01 klx300 and after my first long ride, have some questions on setup. Bike is plush on sharp hits and rocks, but very squirelly in sand. Most apparent, wallows REAL bad on whoops. Scared to fly thru 'em, as front end wants to dive. I weigh 160 lbs., compression set a click or two softer than stock.

Are there any guidelines for setting up sag/damping based on weight or terrain. The owners manual doesn't go much further than acknowledging that the bike has suspension:scream:

Willing to tinker, but feel like I'm not even close after a few close calls yesterday.

thanx,

Mark

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
Mark
The KLX's are very unbalanced in stock form. Stiff in the rear, soft in the frt. The best bet would be to replace the stock fork springs with some stiffer ones. This will hold the frt. end up better. If you don't want to spend the money on springs you can pre-load the springs just a little & maybe drop the forks in the clamps a little and this will take a little weight off the frt. end. Although this isn't the best fix it will be a "little" better.

doc

Mark16q

Apr 20, 2001
Shockdoc,

Your insight seems to be on the mark from what I've researched (and experienced). Seems like the $ for some springs would be a cheap investment to get the thing a bit more balanced. Anyone have some .42 springs for sale?

Thanks,

Mark

Top Bottom