scott76

Nov 7, 2007
I know this will sound like a weird choice, but bear with me. I have been riding street bikes for over a decade, and roadracing for 4 years. I have very little dirtbike and NO mx experience, but would like to get into it to take advantage of a local indoor MX track to train for the roadrace season. I have no desire to learn to clear a huge double or anything like that, but I would like to get better, and stay in shape in the off-season. I just picked up a used 1998 KLX300r and got it running. It's nice, but feels very tall, heavy and slow. Since I also race a 2005 cr85 on 17" wheels and tires, shod with slicks and lowered, in a mini roadrace club, I was thinking that maybe a rm100 or a kx100 would be a better choice for me to learn on? I like the much lower weight and slightly lower seat height, plus I'm familiar with the power delivery of a small-bore 2-s. I know this is an odd choice, especialy since I'm 31, but I like the feel of the smaller bikes. I would also trail ride this bike very occasionally.

Should I consider selling the KLX to get a 100 two-stroke?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Why not just get an extra set of wheels for your CR85?

scott76

Nov 7, 2007
Because the suspension is lowered 2 inches and set up for roadracing. It's re-sprung and has completely different valving then it had when it was a motocross bike. It will not absorb any type jump well, and probably will offer very little traction on dirt. I also run clip ons instead of a handle bar, and the handle bar mounts were removed from the triple clamp I'm running.

If it had stock suspension I would've done that for sure.

scott76

Nov 7, 2007
That's what I'm gonna do if the 100 thing doesn't end up working out. I'm sort of a start small and work my way up guy, so I figured a 100 might be better for me to learn basic MX skills on than a 125, but there are sooo many reasonably priced 125s out there I might have to go that route.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
It will be easier to ride dirt on a bike that fits you. Are you super short or something?

scott76

Nov 7, 2007
No, actually I'm 6'1"

I know it sounds silly for a guy my height to be looking to get on a small bike, but with my street only experience the tall seat height of MX bikes really freaks me out at times, escpecially when cornering or trying to negotiate a small jump. I really am a super-noob when it comes to MX.

bmcd308

Feb 9, 2007
The engine on a 125 is not all that much more powerful than the engine on a 100, but the suspension will be way better. That said, if you want a seat height a few inches lower and you don't mind losing the 25cc, it sure is cheaper to buy 100 and pocket the difference than it is to buy a 125 and pay for suspension mods.

Riding a mini is tremendous fun, so I say go for the 100. Just keep in mind that a used 125 2T will probably be a better "deal," since lots of folks buy a 125 mx bike then resell it pretty soon. There just are not as many 100s out there, so they tend to hold their value better than the 125s. Looking at two or three year old bikes on the big auction site, it looks like 100s and 125s go for about the same price, despite the fact that the bigger bikes have better suspension. If you really want the lightswitch 2T power, get a 65. It's no wonder those kids crash all the time; their bikes need traction control more than Valentino Rossi's does.

Top Bottom