sodhead

Feb 13, 2001
One day while I was moping around the garage wishing for nice weather (much like I am today) I began looking at a KX80 rolling chassis and an old 1977 XL75 I had sitting around. I’ve read many times of people putting little four stroke engines in little MX bikes, so I decided to put the XL75 engine in the KX chassis.

After some frame cutting and welding, intake fabricating, exhaust routing, and of course a little cussing here and there, it’s turning out to be a pretty neat little project and is a ball to “thump” around on.

I was thinking it would be nice to hop up the engine to give it a little more squirt. I’ve seen big bore kits and hi-perf cams for little Honda engines such as the XR80’s and CT70’s, but I haven’t seen anything like that for the XL75.

Has anyone ever done anything with an XL75 motor (bigger bore, stroked, bumped compression up, etc.), or know of a company who sells any performance parts for them, or know if the XL75 engines are compatible with any other models of little Honda four strokes?

Thanks,
Bob

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
Cool! do you have any pictures?

I've been thinking of putting a 4-stroke engine into a cr125/250 chassi. I was thining XR or husaberg, dunno how much trouble it would be. Cant see much more than cutting and welding frame and tank, some extra problems with the husaberg when they have the chain on the other side. 4-strokes are expensive as hell here compared to the 2-strokes that are cheap as hell.

sodhead

Feb 13, 2001
I took this picture of it when I was first starting to fit the engine into the frame. I'll have to take some more pics of it now that the engine is mounted and the bike has been out for a few test rides.:)

KLX75 project

mxkid

Jun 6, 2000
Sodhead, I think the 1977/78 XL75 & XR75 used the same motor. Except for the ignition, the XL had a lighting coil to power the head/tail lights & directionals.

As for performance parts, Powroll http://www.powroll.com still makes performance parts for the 77/78 XR75 (cams,pistons,stroker cranks, hd valve & clutch springs & exaust pipes). Send them an email to find out if the XL75 can use their XR75 parts.

Hope this helps you out!

RJ

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
The XL75 is the same as a XR75 like mxkid said so there is a lot of go fast stuff out of there. Best set up would be a 95cc kit, hot cam (I would suggest a Web Cam as they have good choice and OK prices) bigger carb around a 24mm but the manifold will have to be custom to fit into the frame/airbox/ linkage area on the KX and freeflow exhaust. Machine down the flywheel for more zip and if it has points chase up a later model flywheel/cdi set up. You will have to drill and tap new holes in the flywheel side engine case for the cdi trigger.

A local boy has a stock XR80 in a 88 KX80 frame and it goes well.

Top Bottom