BigSchafft

Apr 20, 2000
what do you wear the braces for (activities other than riding)?
what are you hoping to accomplish by wearing them?
which is better and why?

I am looking at these two products to help me with my partially torn ACL and lateral and medial meniscus tears. Any other info is much appreciated.

zero_it

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2000
I've got two CTi2 knee braces, one for the good knee and one for the bad knee. The bad knee went through a total rebuild in 1994 following blowing it in a hare scrambles. They replace the ACL and sewed up my medial meniscus. I wear them both when riding my dirt bike. I also wear one on the bad knee only for soccer, mountain biking, Jet Skiing, snowboarding, racquetball. I quickly adapted to wearing them riding and can run, etc. with the one on my left knee for other sports without a problem. The blown knee took me out of action for 6 months, the CTi braces are an effort to prevent that from happening again. This is a good product in that they are specifically molded for your leg so they are a great fit. The CTi2 is one of the better braces specifically for ACL problems, certainly better than the Don Joy for instance. The adjustable braces are a little too loose fitting in my opinion. In order for these devices to do their job they must be a good fit and be worn properly. Since your knee is already hosed, a brace won't necessarily keep the ACL from tearing all the way, but it may buy you some time until you can schedule surgery, get time off work, save some cash to pay for the operation (and beer & DVD's to keep you entertained for all the couch time!) or whatever. Good luck with it.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

BigSchafft

Apr 20, 2000
I appreciate the feedback zero it and okie that was the product comparison I was looking for, be sure and thank thump for the good info!!
I'm pretty much sold on the Cell's so I can get 2 quality braces for 550. one for the bad knee that I can wear snowboarding, wakeboarding, running, etc. and the other so I can protect both knees when riding.
This injury has definately been a complicated one, limiting my mobility, making kneeling very difficult etc. but I look forward to a few months from now when I can be running again, and not soon after riding my bike just like I used to every weekend.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I have a CTI2 for my left knee - ACL reconstruction in Nov '99 - that was prescribed by my ortho and a pair of Asterik's that I bought using my health care spending account. The CTI2 has more lateral stability (hinges) and the frame fits my leg better since it was custom molded to my leg. The Asterik's seem a bit loose in the hinges compared to the CTI2 and irritate the front of my shin a bit since they are an off the shelf item. The Asterik's stay in place much better because of the 'wide' straps as opposed to the 2 straps above/below the knee on the CTI2.

Bottom line? I wish my CTI2 had the same strap set-up that the Asterik's have.....

Brian

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The Cell has WAAAAAAAY better patela protection as well. Not really something ya' think about until you've busted yours a few times and had to deal with it. My ortho suggested I go with the Cells over the CTi's for that very reason even though he didn't make anything from me buying the Cells. Can't say that I've been sorry at all :thumb: :thumb:

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
I keep cracking my CTi2's, they seem to split near the hinges, like cracks in the molding/composite. BUT the CTi's have lifetime warranty/repair on the actual braces for as long as you have them. I dont know if the other makes offer that or not, maybe CTis are because they are custom. You just send them back to them, they strip them down and recast and repaint them and send them back to you. I am currently on my 3rd Right and 2nd Left... But I noticed small cracks again near the hinges the other day when I was installing new patella cups. Maybe I will send them back out again this winter.

Top Bottom