mitchw

Jan 19, 2003
I was talking with an orthopedic surgeon regarding the use of knee braces as a preventative measure when riding--I currently wear Asterisk braces and have healthy knees, for a 46 year old. Anyway, his recommendation was to ditch the braces and replace them with a knee guard (some type of neoprene wrap with a knee cup).

His reasoning was that knee braces won't protect against the common riding injuries (torn ACL, MCL, etc.), just ask RC he tore is while wearing a custom CTi, my Doc said. And, from a surgery point of view, a knee is easier to repair with potentially less rehab time (he stressed potentially). He noted when the flexibility of the knee joint is taken out of the equation, the stressed points become the upper (femur) and lower (tibia/fibia) leg bones. In his opinion, a broken femur is much more dangerous requiring surgery to repair and up to a year or more to rehab--not to mention potentially lethal :ohmy: due to the close proximity of the femoral artery (I think, going from memory here). He also noted that a tib/fib break, though not potentially lethal, can take 20 or more weeks for rehab.

I have heard this argument brought up before and thought I would ask for insight from members of this forum.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
I have heard or read this argument many times. At the end of the day, I'll take a broken femer and Tib/Fib over a torn ACL,MCL,etc. Seems an though there is a 50/50 split among Docs as to weather they work or not.

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
Some of that does sound like it might be true. But if I were a doctor I also would not recommend them . Just call him when your knee blows out I’m sure that operation would help put his kid through collage. I will not race with out my helmet no matter what a doctor says about that.

motodr9

Sep 1, 2003
I have had both knees ACL Patellar tendon graft repaired (one MX, one skiing). Both prior to using CTi2, oops. I would take a broken leg (without complications like open fracture, or serious soft tissue damage) over a blown knee any day! A choice between bad, and worse is not good. I'm getting a headache just thinking about this.

mitchw

Jan 19, 2003
Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure I'm ready to put aside my carbon fiber beauties for neoprene and plastic. I'm aware this is one doctor's opinion and likely many on the other side of the argument.

Anyone out there broken a leg while wearing a knee brace, with the brace being a contributing factor?

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I injured my knees before ACL repairs were commonplace, and therefore have had to deal with unstable knees for over 25 years. That being said, I seriously doubt I would still be having bone-break related problems to the extent I have today with my knees. Keep wearing the braces, as they are excellent. I simply will not ride without them. Maybe take a set of knee guards and smack the Orthopedic Surgeon across the knees. Then he might understand. :laugh: Doubt it.
Thanks, my knees hurt even more now from reading this thread!

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
If you have a crash thats hard enough to have your knee braces break your femur what do you think your knees would look like if you didn't have your braces on?

Anyone know the kind of forces required to break a femur? Now imagine that kind of force on your knee, doesn't take much force to damage those muscles.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
I went searching and found that an average male femur will take 5x10^4 Newtons before it will break under compression. This is assuming a perfectly healthy bone. This is equivilent to about 10800Lbs of force. That is almost unimaginable to me that the feumer can withstand 5 TONS of force. This is about equivalent to 175Lbs falling from 10.5ft high. Add some forward motion into the equation and it wouldnt take much more than a direct hit to snap that bone like a twig. Not so impressive for the strongest bone in your body is it. Now just imagine how much easier it is to tear something as weak, at least in comparison to the feumer, as an ACL.

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
I did some quick internet research awhile ago on this because I was debating on wether to get knee braces or just knee guards and what I came up with was that the info was split 50/50, especially if you already have healthy knee's. I decided to get the Thor Force knee guards instead of braces. With the split info I couldn't justify in my head spending over half a thousand dollars. I also don't push very hard when I ride and I don't get to ride 2 or 3 times a week so that was a factor for me also. Not much help but this one seems to be a toss up with the info I have found.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I've had both knees repaired and one broken bone and let me tell you that unless it is a spiral break, compounded or in some other way MAJORLY screwed up, I'd take 10 broken bones over one torn ligament requiring surgery. Simple breaks heal more quickly and with far fewer longterm complications than soft tissue does. My doc told me I could go without or use braces, as I chose, but that my braces were a quality piece of protective equipment.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
tyesai, the cost of knee braces is always hard to justify for someone with healthy knees. I have actually injured a knee without even falling off of the bike. I was in the middle of a corner when my outstretched leg boot caught a rock and twisted my knee. It doesn't always take a crash. I only ride about twice a month now, and still have no trouble paying the price for Asterisks. I am on my second set. Very cheap insurance. Check the price on knee surgery, or even missing work for a month or two while waiting for your knee to heal enough just to walk. Also, knee pain can be excruciating, and long term. Just a few thoughts.

Top Bottom