raider

May 31, 2001
I'm coming off of a fractured tibia in a couple of weeks that was caused when my leg got caught in the ground and twisted while taking a corner. Before coming back, I plan to get a good set of knee braces to both support the leg that was injured as well as to possibly prevent this from happening again. I would appreciate any insight from everyone as to the pros and cons of the various braces out there (i.e. asterisk, EVS, CTI, etc.)

Thanks.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I have one EVS--and it has made a difference--but everyone here will tell you the Asterisk are better. My only complaint about the EVS is the straps that pinch your leg.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Originally posted by firecracker22
--but everyone here will tell you the Asterisk are better
That is because they are, but the XO-Skeleton, DIL and CTi are too... the EVS is the bottom feeder of the knee brace world. Nothing against anyones decision to get them but I would guess the people that are wearing them buy them because they are cheap not because they want to protect their knees.

Advice:
Spend the extra money on a good set of braces, today is my 8 month post op ACL reconstruction anniversary. I wish I had spent the money.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Trust me, they're next on my list. my recent knee injury is due to the fact I wasn't wearing any brace, bottom feeder or not, on that side. Silly I know but financial constraints dictated I buy support of some type for the injured knee first, then worry about the "good" one. Now I have 2 bad ones. :( So buy braces of some type. I am trying to convince Billywho to make Asterisk in purple first, then I'll buy a set. :confused:

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
I have an EVS too . . .

so I guess I will join the catfish club. I use that on my non-acl leg, and just a good knee/shin guard on the other. I suppose the fit might be better on an asterisk or a cti, but I still think EVS is a high quality brace. It is nice to see a manufacturer not double the price of materials simply because it is related to the medical field.

Mi otho Dr. does not even recommend a brace in the first place - so I feel I am going a bit conservative. And although it feels better to wear it, I am sure a hard enough crash or knee twist will damage, brace or no-brace. . I ride pretty safe , tho and the my lack of an acl was not typical in that I broke the condial off the femur from a front impact. Before that I have never ( I know - never say never!) planted my foot to inflict injury in 6 years of riding.

Well, to each his own, I would say. Talk to your doctor? Buy a less expensive EVS and see if you feel good with it, or feel that it does what it is supposed to. Then if you don't feel they are necessary you have not thrown away too much $. From my observation ( where I am from ) it seems that only 1 out of 7-8 riders actually use one, and maybe 1 in 20 use two? Some people are just more prone to knee injuries due to their knees and riding style.:)

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Buy a less expensive EVS and see if you feel good with it, or feel that it does what it is supposed to.
And how is it you "feel that it does what it's supposed to do"? Unfortunately, most of us aren’t Ortho's and the only way you'll know is when you blow-up your knee ... or not. A chance I'm not willing to take...again. Been there done that.

Buy a "less expensive helmet", see if you think that does what it's supposed to. How are you going to know?
It is nice to see a manufacturer not double the price of materials simply because it is related to the medical field.
The Asterisk is NOT related to the medical field, it can't be prescribed. And I assure you, there are a lot of reasons medical grade products cost what they do. Thank the sue-happy world for a good part of that high price. Product designers are forced to go way beyond what's necessary to make the grade a lot like the old "Mil Spec" days.

You get one of each, side by side and look them over, try them on, ride a day in them. Then come back and see if you’d like to update your post. There is a MAJOR difference.

Yes, those of us that have them, preach the Cell brace. It's the first one that is of high-end R&D, Materials, Fit and function to come along with an affordable price tag. I may go a little over-board at times about them, but with all the knees and concussions going on, there is no way I won't speak up when it's implied that something is "good enough". Is a $50 helmet good enough? Yes, as long as you don't crash. The RS-6 fits into the same category.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I have to to again disagree with you guys. I know you are giving your best opinion. I also know that you have done alot of adhoc research to come by these conclusions which is more than most anyone else does. BUT...you guys keep talking about these RS6's like they are the scurge of the earth. Man, they must have really pissed y'all off.
First....these accidents that you talk about, did you have on RS6's when they occured? If not, then you can't really be making the been there, done that statement in the same breath with the EVS braces. Perhaps you should say I've been injured wearing no braces at all, and stick to that one.
Guys, the EVS brace is a good piece of safety equipment. It gives a rider a great sense of safety, even though it may not be as great mechanically as your choice is. BUT, when someone reads y'alls statements, it implys that you were wearing these braces when you had this knee damage. If not, then you are way not fair to EVS, or the consumer who may have choosen this product. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, it way smells of mag tactics.
Beside the fact that you may even screw with a kids phsycological edge he may have gained when he plopped down his hard earned money for the EVS.

I happen to own both brand braces and I think that the quality and fit of the Asterisk braces are without comparison, for the money. They are a very well made, thought out product. I am very pleased with them.

Yes, I do feel a bit more comfort now that I have a better quality brace. And I feel good about the value of the Asterisk's. But I will never tell anyone that the RS6's are complete bottom feeding trash, it's just not correct. I've crashed with my RS6's on several occasions that I bet I would have ended up on crutches without them. For that alone, it's worth mucho.

You guys have to realise that you aren't only replying to a potential brace buyer, but also folks who have already choosen a product and have to use it. Maybe a degree from MIT or Rose Hullman might make me set up and take notice, but you guys are no different than any other consumer. Ease a bit.:)

( I know this topic gets under yer skin, but hey...we are big boys :) )

Jay D

May 22, 2001
forget XO Skeleton

I have been trying for over four weeks to purchase a brace from them. I told them I wanted to purchase through a local dealer but they didn't have one. They recc. another dealer and I tried to order. I never Rec'd my braces nor can I get Marshal at XO to return my calls. If this is how they treat me while I'm trying to purchase their product I can only imagine how bad I would be treated if I needed service. Goodbye XO--I'm ordering Asterisk tommorow.:(

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Originally posted by Jaybird
Man, they must have really pissed y'all off.
Yes they did... they make a POS product and lable it a knee brace. Other manufacturers that make similar products for the cost of $100-150 call it knee support because they know it is not a true brace. EVS is the classic "spend mone on advertising and snow the public" company and many of us know it and it really gets under my skin.

Originally posted by Jaybird Guys, the EVS brace is a good piece of safety equipment. It gives a rider a great sense of safety, even though it may not be as great mechanically as your choice is. [/B]
Yes it is a good piece of safety equiptment for banging your knee but it is garbage when compared to "real" knee braces for knee joint protection.

Originally posted by Jaybird If not, then you are way not fair to EVS, or the consumer who may have choosen this product. [/B]
FAIR! Fair like EVS is being to consumer by marketing a product that cost them $40 to produce then sells it for $370?

Originally posted by Jaybird I've said it before, and I'll say it again, it way smells of mag tactics. [/B]
Magazine tactics would be praising the RS6 because they dish out a lot of advertising coin. We tell the honest truth.

Originally posted by Jaybird Beside the fact that you may even screw with a kids phsycological edge he may have gained when he plopped down his hard earned money for the EVS. [/B]
Psychology plays no part in the tearing of ligiments and tendons physiology does. What might happen is that someone like yourself goes out and buys a good set of braces to better protect him/herself even though you already wasted money on the EVS. Or better yet it may help someone wait a few weeks to save the money for a good set rather than buying crap.

Originally posted by Jaybird But I will never tell anyone that the RS6's are complete bottom feeding trash, it's just not correct. [/B]
So are you telling me that you would recommend the RS6 to someone when lightyears better protection is available for $180 more? If so you are not someone to take advice from.

Originally posted by Jaybird You guys have to realise that you aren't only replying to a potential brace buyer, but also folks who have already choosen a product and have to use it. [/B]
Well maybe the people that have already choosen it will wake up and smell the roses... they have been robbed. If someone stole your wallet would you want someone else to tell you who did it? I would.

Originally posted by Jaybird Maybe a degree from MIT or Rose Hullman might make me set up and take notice, but you guys are no different than any other consumer. Ease a bit.:) [/B]
How about common sense? I would not wear a helmet made of a thin flexible plastic that conformed to my head no matter how well it was marketed, would you? There is an old saying that is perfect for this thread... "Better to be safe than sorry"

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Hey, calm down! We've already had this discussion! I have an RS6 and it has saved me from what could have been some minor hyperextension and twisting injuries. I have also tweaked it (minor, thank goodness--sore for a day) while wearing the brace. They offer some support and protection. The Asterisk is much better, for a little more money. The EVS works to some extent--the Asterisk works to a better degree--the custom Cti braces are top of the line. Pretty basic. The EVS is certainly better than nothing, you have to admit that.

We already agree on this, can we simply drop the "how much does the RS6 suck" argument?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Jaybird,
sorry man, your arguement carries little logic. It's kind of obvious that ANYTHING on your knee is better than nothing. Wrap it with an ace bandage, it's better than nothing.

The issue is, product/price-point. I am truely sorry you bought RS6's, but getting upset about someone trashing it won't get your money back. :p It's true, the RS6 is far better than nothing. Happy?

You state "I happen to own both brand braces and I think that the quality and fit of the Asterisk braces are without comparison, for the money. "

If you are satisfied with the $360 you spent on the RS6, why did you spend another $540 on the Cells? Be honest. Which will you wear now? Wouldn't you rather have saved your $360? Did you buy the Cells before or after the review on DRN? I think you reinforced our point nicely.

I don't get "pissed" about topic, I do get pissed of being accused of being a Mag-like sell-out. I present opinions on this board as if it's read by my friends. I couldn't care less what the manufacturers think.

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
I have a pair XOskeltons and they are really good braces, I got them for the same price as the Asterisk braces from my local dealer and I was able to try them on before purchasing. I think the Asterisk might be a little better, but these Xoskeltons are not too far behind, and they fit inside my boots with my fat calves :) I also have an RS6 that I purchased when I first hurt my knee. It is not as good as the Xoskeletons, but it is way better than nothing

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
Exactly! Well said.

Originally posted by firecracker22
They offer some support and protection. The Asterisk is much better, for a little more money. The EVS works to some extent--the Asterisk works to a better degree--the custom Cti braces are top of the line. Pretty basic. The EVS is certainly better than nothing, you have to admit that.

We already agree on this, can we simply drop the "how much does the RS6 suck" argument?

And if it was not for breaking the condials of my femur last year, I would not even be wearing a brace. A brace would not have helped me at all last july 2nd. The object I hit even sliced though a fox shin guard . If you really analyzed the most sensitive bone in your body ( the spine and neck ) they don't even make a brace for that. You can't protect everything and no brace completely protects the knee joint. You just have to decide how much knee protection you want, and how much you are willing to spend for it. CTI's are about twice as much as asterisk braces, but are they twice as good? Are X-o
skeletons twice as good as the RS6? Probably not. Is an AXO carbon fiber helmet 3 times better than a basic Arai helmet for protection. Probably not. Is it better, lighter , and more comfortable - absolutely. :)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Thump, It seems you are not one to argue with on this subject. You seem to be convinced on the construction issue. Do you realise how lame it sounds to shout out such stuff with no backing? I mean, were is the scientific proof that the RS6 is constructed bad? How do stess tests compare between the two braces? Cut-n-paste all my comments you want, I still won't be satisfied that you have any idea on the construction quality of the RS6. Have you even seen one of the hinges on an RS6? I asked you before to explain to me why the plastic was a bad material to use. You seem to think that the fact it's plastic make the diffence. I'm a little like Rich, explain that to me...and don't hold back on the engineering talk. Now if you want to sound like a fella who advocates bikes because of their color, then go ahead. Do you have some sort of study, or at least an intelligent paragraph explaining to folks why the braces are poorly constructed? Actually, being a person who has many rides on both braces, I see no real advantage to the Asterisks over the RS6's on patella protection. If there is an edge it would be to the Asterisk for its ingenious flexing patella guard. But to say the RS6 has no real protection, wheres your study? You seriously feel that one should not buy any protection until they can afford the Asterisk? THump, if you ARE someone to take advise from, lets see your reasons why the RS6 is trash. No opinions now...just hard data. I don't think your reasoning on who should be one to take advise from holds water without some sort of backing. Where is your backing? Simply your opinion is enough? BTW....you think that the price of raw materials and construction should dictate how much a product sells for?
I sure hope you haven't bought any billet aluminum products lately, or graphics, or stickers...or.......

Okie, trashing something without basis is not logical, especially here. Common sense tells me that there are many things that may not have the same feel or made of as tough of material and still be an adequate product. I just want a bit more meat than the "It's trash, don't buy it" mentality....tell me why. Are you or Thump qualified to explain the charictoristics of the braces in relationship to the physiological (theres your word,Thump) makeup of the knee joint? Can you tell me in technical terms whats going on in the brace world? And, I've not gotten upset about my purchase of the RS6's, not once. That's another assumption that has been made. To be honest as to why I bought Asterisks after owning RS6's,simply because I can. My decision to purchase the Asterisk brace was pretty much confimed prior to your review of braces. The only thing I got from the review that I didn't have before, was the fact that you guys were hard as hell on the RS6, with no data to back it up.
That's where I get the "dirt mag" thing....they do it all the time, and this seems to be alot like that. Like I've stated, I've had several crashes with my RS6's and not once have I had to go to the doctor...that's not saying I would have had to without them, but from my years of experience, I'm pretty sure they saved me on each occasion.
You shouldn't care what the MFG's think and I commend you for that, but when folks see something posted here about a bike or its engine or any component of it, we want to hear reasons, not opinions. Should it not be the same with braces? Lets be honest here. Give me some technical information that supports your hard thrash, and I'll back off.

Okie, before(weeks ago) you had mentioned that the RS6 was produced to enhance the EVS line of protection products. That in itself showed me you were going on opinion not fact. Either that or you were misinformed. EVS' first product produced was a brace(still sold today) all of the products that followed were to enhance the brace line, not the other way around.
I hate pissing matches, but I can't stand a thrashing of a product that I KNOW to be of good use. Yes, I feel that the Asterisk is a better product.
Lightyears better?, Maybe
Is the RS6 trash?, no way.
Will the RS6 protect you, yes...I have the experience to back that one.

The fella who posted this thread is concerned about his tibia....maybe we can explain why the Asterisk is better protection for the tibia than any flexible brace.... :think Hmmmmm....better think good on that one fellas.

Maybe you should do a poll of all the EVS wearers and see if you find any injuries while wearing it. Testimonials are much better than opinionated drivel.

Fellas, don't get mad ( it's obvious you are).....take it out on me at DW, roost me if you can!:)

Last edited:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Jay... fine dude... no problems!

No, we aren't scientists, we don't have a lab to stress test product, we only wear the stuff. Simple consumers. I guess we should not form any more opinions on product because we have no scientic data to back up our opinions.

So until someone with a degree from MIT posts a REAL product test... everything ever made is just peachy. It's all good.

A poll? What scientific evidence will we have that the brace itself saved an injury or allowed it to happen? Sorry man, but there are some things that we have to reply on common sense to determine, for lack of "hard data". If you believe the RS6 is equal to the Cell in contruction, materials and design, that's cool. It's your opinion.

I'm done. Wear what you like! As far as getting mad? Like I said, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and no, I don't require you to have an engineering degree to appreciate yours, the only thing in your arguments that "makes me mad" are things like "opinionated drivel". Leave comments like that out and we can debate like grown-ups. :) . What makes yours an opinion and mine drivel?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
When a claim of complete trash, POS, or bottom feeding junk is made, yes I think maybe at least a small bit of data to back that up would be proper.

I merely stated the poll thing because, whether you agree or not, a database of folks who wear ANY brace, and any injuries they may have aquired while wearing that brace would be a good thing, and easily obtainable.
Maybe you should do a poll of all the EVS wearers and see if you find any injuries while wearing it. Testimonials are much better than opinionated drivel.
Now, in the above quote I did not mention you in particular. Or maybe I'm missing something....man you gotta quit being so defensive. I include myself in the opinionated thing my friend. I simply think that testimonials would be far better than anyones simple opinion. BTW...I noticed last time we had this debate, you apparently thought I'd called you a moron...that was also a time that I did not aim that comment at anyone in particular yet you choose to give me a "Moron? KMA, K?" now....really....
Nothing makes your's drivel and mine opinon...that never was said, nor implied. I do however, feel that drivel starts when one makes a claim and can't explain at least a little bit of what they mean by the claim.

I will stop posting anything at all on braces, I'm obviously not a popular person for asking for anything more than what's posted. Also, seems like every question I pose, or anything I say is mis-understood, or mis-read.

Thump, no thanks....e-mail would waste just as much bandwidth. You obviously think your opinion has no rival. To take it back to e-mail would make this personal, and to me it's not. I simply think that your opinon on the RS6 is incorrect, and without any basis in fact. Besides, if you did explain what you meant by the brace being total junk, don't you think it best for it to be here?

desertman

Sep 23, 2000
critical review is good!

Thump & Okiewan,
Thanks for giving us your honest opinions. I appreciate your comments, both good and bad. Since I can't test all of the braces as you were able to, you are saving me from the potential loss of my cash for an inferior product. Please continue your product testing reviews.

What was your overall favorite brace that you tested (regardless of price)?
Which one would you choose to spend your own money on?

Thanks again!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Jaybird, dude you are full of contradictions. Until YOU put the braces in a lab and have them tested by a MIT grad, your opinion is as usless as ours. We do have the advantage of having our hands on all the braces, which I assume you have not. :D

I could easily quote you to show how silly I am for believing things are "said or implied", but really, it's no big deal. You obviously feel strongly about the issue, it's all good. "Defensive" is inaccurate in the way you use it here... when one makes a statement or forms an opinion that is questioned, one may want to defend said statement/opinion. It's called debate. The alternative is to ignore you?

I will quote this:
I simply think that your opinon on the RS6 is incorrect, and without any basis in fact.
Based on your logic during these discussions, you have no right to make that statement.

When you have all the braces in front of you, ride in them all, research the product development, converse with all of the manufacturers, compare build quality/material quality, fit, etc., you too will be able to form an "educated opinion". Until then, you really can't.

An "educated opinion" is all we claim put fourth. If it takes an engineering degree and a lab, in your mind, to come to an "educated opinion", then we fall short of your standard, plain and simple. I'd suggest you take the reviews with a grain of salt.

BTW, I enjoy a good discussion .

John.T

Aug 2, 2001
Okie, I have a question/comment and I really don't want you to be offended I just want A bit of info to "tell me the truth" now let me say I REALLY enjoy DRN but I have noticed something:eek:
It seems whenever something comes up about a product (if they sponswer DRN) THEY ARE number 1!!!
Now if someone needs ANY motor work all the sudden FMF, AND PC and all the others are crap and Eric gorr is the best( now this may be true, I will find out soon I hope!) But if PC was laying out the cash to you I have a feeling it would be
Send your motor to PC mitch does the best work blah blah
And the same goes with knee protection (everything is junk talk to billywho)
And with pipes ! Go see BBR PC pipes suck yadda yadda
Now am I wrong or is this Turning into MXA online:scream: Oh my god I am sorry okie I know you probably take that is the biggest insult in the world, I apoligize! If I come to a dirtweek you can send truespode after me:confused: But I am sure there is some good reason why all this happens DUH they are your sponswers they pay to get plugged and that's what you do!!!! But if mitch offered you the cash would you say, I am sorry but I don't like your motor work so I cannot accept and I would not reccomend it, Or the next day would you sig say, PCYZ250F it rips!!!! ?????Hey everyone is going blue is YAMAHA a secret sponswer now????? Sorry don't get mad or anything because I am not saying this is true, I just want to get this cleared out of the way, This kinda springs of thump not wanting to really answer the question he was asked

Oh sH#$ why are there 2 black helicopters circling my house right now, is this is consipircy:scream:

Joe Turner

Jan 1, 2001
WOW, you managed to figure Okie's master plan in only 22 days here on DRN.

Had you been here for longer than a cup of coffee you'd know that Okie has refused advertising from people who's products and policies he isn't comfortable with. You might also realize that lots of companies get recommended that have never even bothered to post. Do you always question the integrity of people who you've never met and know absolutely nothing about? It's a brilliant tact for making friends and influencing people. :silly:

FYI, PC's engine work is CRAP. Just ask any one of us who have had the unfortunate luck to believe otherwise.

Joe

Last edited:

John.T

Aug 2, 2001
Well mister litterate if you read my post you would understand I was simply asking IF he had denied people etc!!! READ THE POST BEFORE YOU REPLY!!!!!!!! I told Okie I meant NOTHING by it, and you are exactly the example I am talking about:D
also what exactly did you have done by pc that was so bad AND DON'T MAKE SOMETHING UP!

ps, Last time I checked your name wasn't okie

Last edited:

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Re: critical review is good!

Originally posted by desertman
What was your overall favorite brace that you tested (regardless of price)?
Which one would you choose to spend your own money on?
The DIL Defender is my favorite, Okie is currently testing it now.

For the money there is no comparision, the Asterisk is the the best and that is who get my $$$.

Glad you liked the review, it is nice to hear people say they got something out of it, that is why we do them because we are not getting paid to spend our nights and weekends writing. You're welcome.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Originally posted by John.T
...Sorry don't get mad or anything because I am not saying this is true, I just want to get this cleared out of the way, This kinda springs of thump not wanting to really answer the question he was asked
Actually I work for a living and am taking my lunch break reading DRN so I just got to it.

I am not responding to your drivel because you are not worth the time. But I would love to discuss my less than honorable integrity in person some time, perhaps at DW01?

Continue to be a jerk to good members like Joe and you will find yourself outside with out a view.

Top Bottom