Status
Not open for further replies.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Yet again, I have placed myself on the injured list, this time in no way connected with bikes. I was sitting on a tall gate when a drunk guy started swinging it back and forth. I hit the ground--and felt a familiar popping crunch in my FORMERLY good knee. A week later (even with constant ibuprofen and ice) the swelling is NOT going down, the pain is getting worse not better, and it's clear that I torqued some ligaments and tendons all up. Tuesday is the soonest I could see an orthopaedist so I won't know for another few days whether or not I will need surgery.

I can't believe I ruined the best part of the riding season! Cooler temps, a little more moisture (even if it's just dew at night) to keep the dust down, still nice enough to go out on the lake (on my new wakeboard), and the fire closures start opening back up. And I can't ride. I have races coming up, I just started riding my mountain bike a little more, plus snow season isn't far away. If I have surgery now I might be able to salvage the second half of the snowboard season. If this had happened in, say, June or July, it'd be a little easier to deal with; I don't like hot weather anyway, and there's not much riding when it's that hot out so I would have had time to get better.

Of course I may not need surgery, but even if I don't, it'll be a LONG recuperation. I definitely popped something important. If they don't cut me open, I will ride anyway, but will have to keep to the easy stuff.

The thing that fires me up . . . why are knees so dammed easy to hurt? I'm in decent physical shape, I ride bicycles and work out at the gym, and this last incident didn't even involve sports or anything! My mother, who has knee injuries also, firmly believes that there is something about our family that gives us weak knees--as in easily injured. Not too sure on that one but the evidence points that way.

I want to scream--I hate being hurt!!! Especially for such a stupid reason. Only my friends know the real story--anybody who asks what's wrong with my leg who I'm not likely to encounter ever again, I tell them I crashed my dirt bike. :laugh:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by firecracker22

The thing that fires me up . . . why are knees so dammed easy to hurt?

sorry to hear about your injury. i've broken eight bones (that i know of) riding motorcycles. i've never had a knee injury. :eek:

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
my biggest gruge w/ my body is my Right side!! My left is invensible, but not my right! Ive hurt my knee before doing squats the wrong way and it was sooo annoying! FC can you walk on it? what do you think you damaged? Also im confused about the tendons and ligaments. I know tendons are what is connected to the bone but what do ligaments do?

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by cr25096er
my biggest gruge w/ my body is my Right side!! My left is invensible, but not my right! Ive hurt my knee before doing squats the wrong way and it was sooo annoying! FC can you walk on it? what do you think you damaged? Also im confused about the tendons and ligaments. I know tendons are what is connected to the bone but what do ligaments do?

I can walk on it, but slowly. Stairs, standing up and sitting down, getting in and out of cars, etc. is kind of painful.

My own personal self-diagnosis says that it's the MCL, which will heal without surgery most of the time. I'm not taking chances though, not after last time.

Tendons connect muscles to bones; ligaments connect bones to bones. Ligaments are far more painful and difficult to heal due to less bloodflow (especially on commonly injured ones like the ACL) and the tissue is more dense and less resilient. (those in the health industry may correct me but that is what I have learned, after tearing my left ACL and MCL 2 years ago.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom