css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
My brother bought a 98 KDX 200 and there is a knocking sound comeing from the engine right below the KIPS. It's a little bit more pronounce than the usual knocking comeing from the kips, any ideas on what it might be. I think I might even fell it in the handel bars.

ELF

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
Ok no tips. How about this. Is there a gasket on the kips cover? This way I can take it off and look for......................................? I dont know what. Can I get my fingers in there to see if anything has worked lose? Or does anyone have any tips on what to look for to see if its the KIPS knocking?

Thanks,
ELF

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
More details please. What do you mean by right below the KIPS? What area of the power valve system are you talking about here?

Have you checked out the JustKDX web page and read the KIPS articles there? There might be something there that would help you in your quest.

David

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
Sure it ain't the tranny? They are pretty noisy with less than a quart of oil in them. The KDX motor is pretty noisy in and of itself also. Is it a new noise, or has it always been there?

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
It's been there since we got the bike. We just changed all the oil and fluids in the bike and it's still there. I'm just not sure if its comeing from the kips section or below that in the motor itself. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the same knocking sound and what it was.

ELF

Jun 1, 2004
Mine has the same problem, i cant tell exactly where it originates but its pretty loud. Please post the things you did to fix the problem (if you fix the problem) in detail so that i too may try them.

Thx,
vortex

rlbranson

Dec 24, 2003
There is the possibility that a bearing or bearings in the motor is bad. Remove the flywheel cover and try to move the flywheel up and down and back and fourth. There should be no movement. Also turn the flywheel back and fourth and feel for some looseness before it encounters resistance. Do this with the flywheel turned to different positions. Good luck.

Bob

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
To answer a couple of your questions:

1. There is a gasket under the KIPS cover.

2. Not much else, though. It's a resonator (Helmholz resonator, even)...an empty space. Probably nothing there but spooge. It should be clean. Spooge doesn't make much noise, though.

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
We use at least 92-93 oct. I think hes just gonna put it in the shop and let them do a once over on it. I'll let ya's know what they say it is.

ELF

Jun 1, 2004
Allright
I am tryin to sell my bike and they love it till i start her up. That noise is a real buzzkill.

My mechanic recently cleaned mine out so I dont think it would be and problems with goo, but as you said, it wouldnt be making that noise anyway.

Thx,
vortex

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
The knocking in no way effects performance as of yet. We run together and the 98 200 is just as fast as my 05 220. Its just a hell of alot loader than the usuall knocking.

ELF

Top Bottom