KTMDan

Mar 23, 2001
I just replaced my stock springs front and rear with new ones. I put .42 in the front and went with 8.4 straight in the rear. I then set the compression and rebound according to KTM manual for normal setting. When I was trail riding the other day, I noticed that my tires kept bouncing and I had little traction climbing rocky or rooted hills. I am just wondering if that means that I am to stiff and should soften the compression. If so, how do I know that the front and rear are balanced if they should be? Also should I adjust the reboudn if I change the compression, if so how much?

CRGuy

Posts Too Much
Nov 14, 2000
Trial and error. Keep trying untill you get it right. There is no formula for changing one to match the adjustment on the other clicker/s. Trial and error

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
KTMDan
First off it seems that at a 8.4 rear & .42 frt.combo you are a bit unbalanced. What is your weight? Where is the sag set (rider & free sag). How far up are the forks in the clamps?

doc

KTMDan

Mar 23, 2001
Doc,

I weigh about 210 with all my rider gear. My free sag is 25mm and rider sage is 100mm. The reason I went with stiffer springs is so I could also motocross. With the stock setup on the stiffest settings, I was still bottoming hard on hard landings. I was hoping I could find some springs that could give me more stiffness on the track, yet let me soften it up for the trail.

When you say unbalanced, what do you mean?

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
KTM Dan,
I'd say your over damped in the forks from what your saying. Wit your weight a .44 might be a better choice. The 8.4 is fine, you could actualy go lighter or heavier with little problem. The KTM's don't fall into normal spring rate catagories. The diffrence in linkage makes standard incroments of change obsolete.

Regards,
Jer

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom