ktm 125 stroker ?

k-ryder

Feb 10, 2004
heard that eric has a stroker kit....but not posted on his site ?

anyone know anything.....how much $$ & how many cc ?

thanks

dirtbikr99

Nov 21, 2002
stroker

I would also like more info on stroker motors eric offers, i ready a mag test a while back on a cr 144 it said it wasent worth it....but i already have a 134 2mm over bore so why not stroke the crank to get it to 144. I have an extra crank laying around i was wondering if there was a web site that had the specifications on how for to offset the crank, also power valve modifications to make it fit with a spacer plate

Eric Gorr

Engine Builder
Jun 29, 1999
dirtbikr99,
I've done 3 of the bore/stroke conversions on 2000-03 CR125s using the 56mm bore with a 58.4mm stroke. Its a really strong engine, better than say an RM bored to 144. My UPS driver races one in southern Wisconsin dirt track and mx. Its holding up fine with no reliability problems. I have a stroked CR crank in stock for trade-up and the other mods needed to the engine are machining to the head and crankcases. We also have spacer plates if your cylinder base has been machined as part of the previous 2mm conversion.
I read the article in MXA too, they liked the power but they didn't think is was worth the price tag of $2,800 You have to understand TMR doesn't have machine tools and do the work in-house. They're engine assemblers, sub-contracting the individual component mods. The sub-contracters that they use are premium priced mainly because of their geographical location and the scale of their businesses.
And quite frankly when a company like TMR gets the excellent magazine coverage like they have consistently for 5 years running, they can charge a lot more for their work to off-set the demand from consumers.

k-ryder

Feb 10, 2004
elf said:
Ryder check out jmans post in the forward motion forum.

ELF.....i must be missing something ? what i'd like to find out is.....is it a 134 or 139cc stroker kit or is it a big bore with a stroker kit ? i heard it was $800.00 but have no clue whats involved ?

i'm in so cal and work monday-friday with some saturdays so he's tough to reach.

Eric Gorr

Engine Builder
Jun 29, 1999
When you want to change the stroke on a crank there are some general things that must be done, first the engine must be disassembled and basically rebuilt. So you need new bearings, seals, gaskets, and a rod kit. Then the crank is sent to TNR Machine for stroking which involves boring the crank pin hole, sweating in a slug and boring a new pin hole farther from the center of the crank journal. Then the cases may need to be bored to accomodate the off-set connecting rod, and of course the head must be recessed for the greater piston travel. The port heights and ignition timing may also need to be altered depending on the stroke change. Its quite an undertaking and the variable in the cost are things like tranny bearings and parts, clutch plates, or anything else worn in the bottom end. Generally speaking its cheaper and more effective to big bore the top end then to increase the displacement with crank stroking.

k-ryder

Feb 10, 2004
ERIC.......what are my options ??? 134cc, 139cc, bigger ? basicly how many cc's.
one of the guy's on ktm-talk mentioned you where doing strokers but he was'nt sure either.

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Ryder I think the 4mm stroke as mentioned in the forward motion post would make a standerd bore into a 134cc. Why are you so interested in a stroker? The big bore works good and is much simpler. I know you mentioned you had a vhm head? I would think it could be cut to fit the bigger piston.If not you could use your stock head and sell the vhm? I am not trying to talk you out of stroking it, but it just seems like a lot of work and money. The 144 runs really strong and all your other mods like pipe reeds carb should work good with the 144.

k-ryder

Feb 10, 2004
thanks elf.....i've always heard better things from strokers than big bores.

now its got me thinkin about both !

there's a guy workin on a 200 cyl/crank mod for the 125 but he's having issues with the piston heighth. its 170cc

there's also a complete 200 conversion (big money !)

just trying to figure the best way to go

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Nice to know there is a lot of options with the ktm. But it just makes it harder to choose. :think:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…