KTM 125 SX... good beginner bike?

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Congrats on the new bike, even if you did not get a "real" bike. Like an orange one. :confused: Just joking! I'm glad that you were able to make a decision based on logic rather than what looks cool. Although looking cool is important too!

If you had had the chance to ride the 200, though, you would be hooked. The KDX will be good for a while, then you will appreciate the better feel and response of the KTM.

But getting ANY new bike is exciting. Have fun!

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
Welcome to the world of riding, great isn't it. I've been riding for quite a while and I bought a new KTM 250 exc last spring. On my first real good ride with it I opened it up in 4th gear while a buddy of mine was a ways in front of me. I ate up his lead instantly, flew by, and couldn't beleive how awesoem the bike was. I figure you've got it pretty good. You have your KDX to ride and when you get some more time on your belt, you can always hop on Dad's KTM and roost on.

NukEmAll

Mar 11, 2001
Hi all, I just got back from my first real trail ride. It was awesome! I fell a few times and I probably would have broken my leg if I did not have my boots on. But, I am ok and I will be heading out in about 30 minutes or so to go back. Thanks for all the advice on what bike to get, I think I would have been unhappy with the 125SX.

WideOpen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 21, 2000
u might need to change the bars on a kdx and do u have a chest protector yet?? if you don't go get the moose one..it's the best for your buck :)

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Congrats on the KDX. It's not just a beginner bike!!!. If you aren't outrunning your dad in the tight stuff in a couple of years, you haven't begun to explore its power....

In a couple of months, look in to removing the airbox cover, and rejetting. In a half year or so, look in to a FMF or PC expansion chamber.

Oh ya, eventually, you will get tired of the bendomatic steel bars and will want aluminum.

Get your dad and you to go ride the beginner class in one of these enduros. You will find out how fast a KDX goes.

http://www.tscec.org/schedule.htm

PS. I overalled the C class in some of these enduro's back in the late 80's and got bumped to the B class all on a ..... yep, you guessed, a KDX!

Have fun, keep fresh 32:1 high quality premix in it, warm it up slowly, and keep the airfilter (buy an extra) clean, and fresh oil in the tranny. Diesel 15W-40 oil will be fine in the tranny, change it frequently.....

Nverfastenuf

May 4, 2001
Cograts on the NEW bike!!! As for the KDX, it may be smaller, but once you get acclimated to the bike you'll roost. In the tight stuff Ive seen guys go real fast on them(Kelby Pepper, Jeff Fredette). Remember, "Dress for the crash, not the ride".:cool: :cool:

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
So you rode the GG? How far from the ground were your feet? You must have looked like a true squid on that thing:) Can't wait to ride with you when you get the Super TTR back together.

Brian

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
The KDX having a smooth powerband is a misnomer. On the contrary, it makes decent horsepower over a small RPM range stock. The thing the KDX does do that the 125 does not is produce some decent torque at lower RPMs (3500 to 6000 RPM range). Turn your ears off to the screaming, and a 125 makes decent HP (20+) over a wider RPM range than the KDX200.

All this said, the KDX was probably the better choice for you to start on for the use you have in mind.

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
". On the contrary, it makes decent horsepower over a small RPM range stock...."

Although this may be literally true it's pretty misleading. When most people ride a bike (especially a beginner) and feel the power of a bike in a trail situation they're feeling the torque. The KDX has a smooth torque curve therefore having the characteristic of smooth power over a broad range. Making this statement to someone who has never ridden a KDX or any 125 MX bike may mislead them into thinking the 125 would be better since they desire smooth power over a broad range. Everyone knows you have to rev the snot out of a MX bike to get it into it's power (both torque/ and hp) while a KDX can run a higher gear longer (not have to downshift) and it doesn't have the sudden "hit" of a 125, therefore producing people to say it has a smooth "powerband."

:confused:

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Bill -

I agree with your point totally. I'm merely pointing out the fact that a modern 125 has a remarkably broad spread of usable horsepower, contrary to what some might say here on DRN. Is an MX 125 the best way for a newbe to tackle the woods? Probably not, that's what God made the KDX for. BUT, the 125 deserves more credit in comparison than it was getting here.

In a conversation I had with Rick Petersen of Rick Petersen Motorsports (RPM), he took me thru the stock 125/144/167 power comparisions. When doing so, the KDX has to be included as well because of its closeness to the 125. That is when the big surprise comes - that the KDX has a relatively PEAKY horsepower delivery compared to say a stock YZ125, when you disregard the start and end RPMs on both bikes. The 144s with some porting work I guess are a real neat motor and the 167s are killer when tuned for the woods from feedback I've had on both from other sources.

The point being, if you were deaf and only rode by feel, the 125 would deliver pretty darned good power up on the pipe. My point being II, if you spend any time on the KTM 200 you'll see that yes it does not fall all over itself down low and the grunt is nice on flat snot, but IT TOO has to be ridden on the pipe if you want to get anywhere in a hurry.

So, if you wanna get there in a hurry and have to ride the KDX200, the KTM200, and the 125 up on the pipe, who cares if the 125 has to spin a few K more RPM?

I rode a '97 RM125 in the woods the other day and the thing blew me away with how well the motor worked. My next woods bike will be a 125 run out to 139, 144, or 150, depending on the brand and what Erik thinks is the right way to go.

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
Whoa, those 150's, etc. sound really cool. A rippen 125 with some low end grunt, Now you're talking. ;)

It's true though, the guys that go really fast on the KDX's are riding them just like you would a 125. Point and shoot.

bud

Jun 29, 1999
Leo, interesting you say that. I rode a 125 mxer in the woods a couple days ago as well, a 01 yz, bone stock. I was also surprised at how well it worked, and how EASY it was to ride at speed. Suspension, ergos and handling were all fantastic. As was the power, once I got the hang of picking the right gear at the right time. Which took about 2 mins. I would personally rather be on that bike than a kdx.

Coincidentally, I also rode 01 cr and yz 250's, and found them harder to ride than the 125, as the slightest touch on the throttle tended to make them break traction or yank my arms out. The absense of flywheel weight was a lot more noticable on the 250's than on the 125. Jm2c.

erik_mt

Nov 6, 2000
I've got a '96 YZ 125 that I purchased last summer. This winter I sent it off to Eric and got his 144 kit with porting for woods riding. The 144 kit made a huge difference in ridability. It has enough power that you can ride it off the pipe easily and it still has a pretty big hit. At my level (intermediate) it is still a point and shoot type ride though. I'm pretty sure I'd be faster (out of corners anyway) on a bike that had a smoother power delivery so you could roll on the throttle out of corners instead of the point and shoot method. I've ordered a 9 oz. flywheel weight that hopefully will arrive this week. I'm hoping to smooth the hit out some, as it can become tiring by the end of the day.

I think my next bike will be a KTM 200 exc though...

-Erik

guru15

May 9, 2006
i started on a ktm sx125 and it was the PERFECT bike to start on, its powerful but if you have had expericance on other bikes you should be fine, in my opinion its better than the bike i have now, hope that has helped a bit lol

Top Bottom