car.crash

Nov 5, 2006
hi i have just got a ktm 125 sx with v force reeds and a dep exhaust and possibly some other tuning mods. the problem is when the power band kicks in its so hard to control. my mate has a 2001 yz 125 and the power comes in smooth all the way as opposed to no bottom end power then full on power band. is it possible to spread the power out a bit more?

car.crash

Nov 5, 2006
i have heard the power valve can be adjusted to the riders taste is this true? as i would like mor low down power rather than full on power at the top of the revs

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
Hard hitting powerbands are the best. It depends on what you do though. Hard hitting powerbands are great for racing but are horrible for the trails. My bikes the same way nothing then BAM powerband. But it makes the ride interesting.

car.crash

Nov 5, 2006
it certainly makes it interesting but its so fierce. i prefer the smoothness of the yz. so ideally i want to even the band out a little. also the shocks are so hard i need to soften them up too but thats no big deal.

BonChance13

May 7, 2002
it might be the nature of the mods on your bike...otherwise,a small flywheel weight and/or a couple of teeth less on the rear sprocket-example,if you have a 51,go to a 49.Either or both of these "solutions" may work but might make the bike less fun.I think more practise/seat time will be the best thing for you.You'll get used to it and maybe even use it to your advantage.good luck.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
You can adjust the timing of the hit by adjusting the powervalve.

ComradeMikhail

Mi. Trail Riders
May 2, 2005
I don't have a picture, nor do I know if it's the same on your bike, but on mine, there's a screw that sticks out (it's a flat head). You can use this to adjust the power band spring tension. The best way I was told to do it was to adjust it to one extreme, and then adjust it from there. If you bike has it, try it out.

ktmrider

Jun 20, 2000
Another Posibility

One other possibility to consider is the Dep pipe. I seem to remember hearing that it makes great HP at higher RPM but over a narrow spread.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN

car.crash

Nov 5, 2006
thanks for the help guys. i tried today but cant get the timing marks to lift up. i think the arm is worn so will have to strip it down like the diagram shows. thanks for the help once again

Top Bottom