Oct 27, 2000
I'm getting a 2001 300MXC Saturday. I have always had clutch problems before. Always on RM's(save the jokes) and with Valvoline 10w40. What is the best oil to use?

BigStoppy

Mar 6, 2000
Anything works great if you change it after every race or 3 hrs of hard riding. Even name brand motor oil does a good job, even though it was not designed to run in a wet clutch type of environment. Brand name trans oil for bikes is considerably higher in price, available only at bike shops, and not all shops may carry the brand you want.

I like ELF moto T. All are good, just change the oil as often as your wallet can stand it.

Stop

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
I disagree that all motorcycle specific motor oils work great if changed frequently. I did my own test on this. I ran 10 different motor oils in my bike. I changed each after two rides. The performance difference, in regards to clutch performance and ease of shifting (lack of nothiness), was very noticeable from oil to oil.

Rich is better at this topic than I, but auto motor oils differ also. Mobil 1 15W- 50 is 2 stroke friendly.

You can find many great lubricants for two strokes, however they are not created equal!

BigStoppy

Mar 6, 2000
Strick,
I agree with you 100 percent. I dont run motor oil in my gearbox due to the fact that I believe transmission specific oils are better in a wet clutch application, but I will use them without worry for one ride only.

Gardener

Jul 28, 2000
Strick - are you running Mobile 1 in all seasons? I'm curious how it performs at lower temperatures. Is it necessary to flush out the gearbox when changing from a petroleum based oil to synthetic?

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
You don't have to flush the gear box when switching. The synthetic is compatible with standard oils. I use Moble 1 15-50wt in all my bikes and it has worked great for years. No problems with the clutch slipping and it works good when it's cold out. The 15-50wt does not have the additives that the other weights have. That's why it's good for bikes and doesn't effect the clutch.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Dan S. has said it all!:cool: Many of my friends have switched also, and everyone is satisfied with the performance, and availablity. You can buy it at K-Mart!

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
I switched to synthetic and you really can notice a difference in the shifting. I'm using Dumonde Tech www.hgnr.com . I've heard a lot of good things about Mobile-1 as well. It's more expensive but you don't have to change it as often. I've noticed smother, less "notchy" shifting and Excellent clutch feel.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Another vote for Mobil 1 15W50 and changing it often in a 2 stroke (or 4 stroke for that matter) dirt bike that sees extreme offroad use. I go 2-3 rides, depending on the distance and conditions. This works out to about 100 trail miles. For example, I did the enduro this weekend on fresh oil. I'll do 1 more ride on it of 25 to 50 miles, but would switch it to fresh if the next ride were an enduro since I ride the long course.

Another benefit to the 15w50 Mobil 1 is it works great in 4 strokes too. Just one oil is all you need hanging around for both bikes.

The workin' man's alternative to the Mobil 1 15W50, or for those who prefer to stay away from synthetics, is Castrol GTX 20w50. You can't go wrong with it either, and it runs about 1/3 the cost of the Mobil 1. The clutch action and shifting is so good that I'll stick with the Mobil 1.

As you read these responses, take note as to the weight of the oils. Whatever you decide on, stay away from the 5w30 oils of any brand. These are marked "EC" and contain big spikes of metals designed to increase automobile gas mileage but are bad on the wet clutch in your bike.

Right now Mobil1 15w50 is in my '99 KTM 300E, '98 KLR650, '78 BMW, and '94 BMW. It was in the '98 WR400F when I sold it. The KLR recently spent 10 hours under load (me, luggage, lots of ups/downs, sand) in 110+degrees, riding thru the floor of the Copper Canyon in Mexico. The temp needle was in the upper range all day. At times like this it felt good to have confidence in my equipment, oil included.

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
I ride with a guy occassionally, who is an "A" class harescrambler. He doesn't race much any more but he has many trophies for his efforts. We were talking about tranny fluid Sunday and he told me he runs regular old Pennzoil motor oil in his bike. To top it off he said he hasn't changed his tranny fluid in about year. As far as I know he hasn't had any clutch or tranny problems. I'm not saying I agree with this! I change mine every other ride or so and have been experimenting with different 2 stroke tranny fluids. My favorite so far is Motul Transoil 10W-30. I am satisfied enough that I don't plan on experimenting any further.

Oh by the way the guy who hasn't changed his tranny fluid in a year is still running on his stock piston and rings also. He rides a 1996 CR 250 and rides virtually every weekend and he can still out run me. I'm no Shane Watts but I'm a decent "B" rider. To top it off he use to run a small motorcycle shop. It makes you wonder if all of this maintenance is over rated, but I don't think I will take a chance.

Neal

Top Bottom