Duneman

~SPONSOR~
Jun 16, 1999
I know everyone is different, but I love having a custom bike. my bike is a 91 KDX with inverted kx forks and shock that have PC mods on them. kick starter and shifter are off a kx 125 cause those are aluminum parts. I also installed a 97 kx 125 aluminum subframe,airbox,seat,and plastic. A Clarke green CR125 gas tank they made it custom for me using kawi green plastic with white shrouds. and a complete PC motor and a 97 PC kdx pipe.with all my mods including the price of my bike when I baught it new still cost less than a KTM, and had a blast putting it together. And I have smoked 4 KTM 200's stock and modified, and I say smoked.......:p

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Woods Rider & Dirt Bike Dave,

You guys is crazy.

The $ per hour cost of dirt bikes is free compared to any other motor sport; ask any weekend warrior at the dragstrip or road race track! Racing alcohol powered Briggs & Straton go carts cost way more than dirt bikes (and I never had the freshest tires or engine). And compared to $ per level of excitement, bikes are way cheaper than women, gambling, or other heart racing, dangerous activities. I think it porbably costs more to get smashed at a good bar than to take a KDX out for a good thrashing.

I still think that if you put $1,000 in a new KDX (pipe, silencer, suspension, carb mods, bars, etc.) vs. a new KTM; both with low miles, the KTM sells for more $ on the used market.

As far as which bike is more competitive; who cares? A great rider (you guys keep mentioning Fredette) can & will win on anything. I think the cool thing about a KDX is that you can buy nice, updated, used bikes for cheap, can get parts easily, & they are reliable & forgiving. That's why I love mine.

Now I'll just get off this soap box & take my medicine.

Your pal,

Jim

:D

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by Jim Crenca
...compared to $ per level of excitement, bikes are way cheaper than women, gambling, or other heart racing, dangerous activities....

No argument there :) , but in the real world, the enthusiast KTM owner is just as likely to have sunk $1000 in aftermarket goodies for his bike as a KDX owner. All the KTM riders I know have. Was it "necessary"? I don't know, all I know is that they did. So, let's just say that I would be highly skeptical of any claims that the cost of ownership of a KTM is less than a KDX. My gut feeling is that over the course of a few years it would be a wash. :cool:

Duneman

~SPONSOR~
Jun 16, 1999
I don't have anything Fredette on my bike, it is all Pro Circuit. I gess the reason i built my bike the way I did is because i like motocross but don't care for screaming a 125 when riding, and I don't like 250's, for some reason i'm faster on a 500 on a motocross track than I am on a 250, for some reason 250's scare me and 500's do not, go figure. One thing I do know is That i love the power of a 200, for me it is perfect..........:scream:

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
Like some others have said, you've got to be true to yourself about your ability. I previously owned a Husky WR 250. It was a very quick bike. But to be honest I found it to be a bit of a handfull at times. If I made a mistake on the bike, it was usually very punishing. I now own a 2000 model KDX 200, and love it. Admittedly it's not as quick, but that actually makes it easier to ride and I have become a better rider because I have more confidence.

The KDX is a great bike for an average / above average rider.

1A

Jul 9, 2001
I rode KDXs from 1986 to 2001 in both the 200A and Senior A class of the TSCEC. They are great bikes, inexpensive in today's world, and have plenty of power and handling. I switched to a KTM 200 EX/C this year primarily because (a) I needed to replace my 5 year old unit and (b) I can afford anything I want.

The only real dislike I had with the KDX was the hanging down forks. Sometimes they get hung up in ruts. My solution was simple - always ride row 1 and there won't be any ruts.

The KTM is also a great bike. It has a taller seat height that takes a little getting used to. Also there is less flywheel effect and low gear seems to be a little taller. The result is that you need to slip the clutch a little more to get rolling.

I would advise most folks to save their money and ride a KDX. I'd still be riding one if Kawasaki would wake up and make some meaningful attempt at keeping it updated.

Pick one - green or orange, don't worry about it, and have fun.

Baked

Apr 6, 2000
Now you guys are talking... I see a guy riding a STOCK Husky 125 over-all a lot of races... so don't say you need loads of power... just useable power! (although I rode a new CR250 for the first time the other day... HOLY COW!! That sure is a fun bike")

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
The $ per hour cost of dirt bikes is free compared to any other motor sport
Jim - I don't know where you took economics, but in my book free usually means zero expenditure. I'll admit it is probably the least expensive of any motorsport. Especially since I came from drag racing where every week it was $200 minimum. If you add up the original cost of the dirt bike, tax, insurance, license/registration fees, aftermarket components, replacement components (for the one's that break), service costs, labor (even if you do your own wrenching, it's still not free), entry fees (if you race), travel costs (unless everything is five minutes from your house), support vehicles (truck, trailer, motorhome, etc.), special tools, etc., etc., you're still parting with some serious cash. Granted the smile per dollar ratio is much higher, but that's about the only return you'll ever get on that investment. However it does give us adults an excuse for acting immature. ;)

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The $ per hour cost of dirt bikes is free compared to any other motor sport

It's a figure of speech for crine' out loud.

A local rider gets a new ktm about every year. And every year before he even RIDES the thing he takes it all apart and replaces everything..bars, tires..even revalves the 'excellent' suspension!

And on a recent outing my riding buddy ('00 kdx 200) rode with him for awhile..said he could outpull, outpower him anytime, anywhere.

Which isn't to say the ktm-guy wouldn't be in front in most races. He is GOOD!

I'll bet it's the odd situation that a rider consistently and greatly outperforms his ride. A great bike does NOT make a great rider. A decently prepped kdx is a wonder.

Oh..and I think it's meant to be 'tractable' ..not trackable. Words DO mean things............

Top Bottom