motomadness

Mar 18, 2001
I just called my local bike shop and i asked them about the ktm 200.

The salesmen said $5500 for the ktm 200. Then he said $6150 with taxes. I

then said how much are your kdx's. The salesmen says the 200 is $3500 and

the 220 is $3800. Plus taxes I know the price will go up a bit. My question is

why does a ktm 200 cost so much? Also why would u spend $6000 on the ktm

200 when u can spend $4000 on a kdx and have $2000 dollars left to get

some go fast parts. I know the ktm 200 is a better bike but, with $2000

dollars you can make the kdx a way better bike than the ktm. So why spend

that extra $2000 on the ktm? Why not use that extra 2000 and get some go

fast parts for the kdx?

Last edited:

team-green32

MAGA
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 27, 2001
Chicago
If it was up to me i would buy a used KDX200/220 (dont buy the 250) because i know that people put pipes etc. on there bikes then sell the KDX for a KTM.

You could get a very trick KDX for about $2000-$3000 but, only get 95-01 because then the KDX has the perimitar<sp> frame. you

I got my 96 KDX 200 with 220 cylinder with PC platnum pipe, FMF silencer, RAD valve, ported, polished, honed<sp> stage 5 mods by Jeff Fredette, race tech suspension front and back, renthal bars, Boseen RAD valve reeds, 99' Shrouds, 14/51 gearing. I got all this for $1000.00 :p because the guy was getting married but, the blue book value is around 2500-3000.

teton

Dec 13, 2000
With all the mods on your KDX's, give us a little discription on how it runs and handles, have you had the chance to ride a KTM 200 ?
I would like to get a 200 soon and Im also having a little trouble deciding between the two bikes. All the tests that I read put the KDX to shame compaired to the KTM, but there is a big difference in price as you stated that you could bring the DX to life. I havent seen much info on the modified KDX vs KTM, I dont mind sinking some dead presidents into a bike (kinda fun to create a custom bike) just dont want to sink alot of money on a bike that wont run with a stock KTM (the modified DX might crush the KTM). I would like to here from guy's like you that have a modified KDX.

Thanks, Bob

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
the KTM is harder to push start due to the higher compression ratio and a more finicky bike as are all
race oriented bikes (especially european ones). For instance more attention to exactly correct throttle position
is needed since the motor is more explosive than the KDX. So I'd say that if you aren't a PRO then the KDX would
probably suit you better. With an aftermarket pipe that emphasizes top end power you can really kick ass on these
things. I ride like a mad man through the knarliest stuff and my KDX handles great. All it has is stiffer fork springs
from Freddette Racing,ProCircuit pipe, Boyesen reeds, and good tires (rear Dunlop 739 which is good on hard and dry).

woodchuck

May 2, 2000
Not to be negative, but...

But in my opinion a modified KDX is a great bike, and a stock KDX is an awesome trail bike. One of the things that makes it awesome is the trackable power, something which is generally compromised once its hopped up. For ridding were traction is good this is not a big problem. However it is a big detriment when traction is less plentify and the terrain is loose, slick or steep. The KTM with its higher compression produces a nice trackable low end which isnt lost by mods which are trying to squeaze more juice out of it. As far as a modified KDX :think "crushing" a KTM 200, this mght be a little bit of an overstatement. I have a modified KDX (its my spare bike, and I really like the bike), had a KTM and chose to ride a GasGas.
Just my two cents, enjoy whatever you choose to ride:D

WoodChuck

sparc

Aug 28, 2000
I have owned both a late model KDX200 and now own a KTM200. I had all the mods Fredette recommended.
The motor came to life with the mods but still not as strong as the stock KTM.
The suspension even with Gold Valves was still severley lacking compared to the stock KTM. It is hard to make a 15 year old fork perform as well as current technology. The shock was ok, much closer then the fork.

The real difference in price comes down to older technology. KDX performs amazingly well, but it is no KTM.

If you don't plan on hanging with other KTM's then the KDX is a great bike but you are better off putting your money into a KTM if you are planning any suspension or motor mods. Unless you are as talented as Jeff Fredette.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
It is a not a given that porting destroys low end and tractability. Sure, if you are porting to create a top end screamer you'll lose low end but, there's all kinds of porting. I can personally attest that with engine work by someone who knows what they're doing can really wake the KDX motor up while improving tractability. I installed an Eric Gorr 225cc big bore kit, and had him do the "mo better" porting. The carburation was cleaned up by RB Designs carb mod. The result has been a vast increase in low - mid range and still pulls strongly on top. It delivers the power in a very linear, electric way.

IMHO, The KTM's advantages lie more in it's chassis and suspension than in it's engine. Acutemp demonstrated that with a few mods the KDX 200 engine can out-torque the KTM 200 and has posted his dyno results for all to see on the JustKDX website:

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/dynotesting.html

These "which bike is better" debates are never ending, but really it's not that hard to bring the KDX up to a point where the issue of whether you or your buddy crosses the finish line first will depend more on rider skill (and luck..) than on who is riding the KTM and who is on the KDX. For a good road map on how to do this, check out Canadian Dave's project bike on his web site:

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/projectbike/cdkdx.html

Dave can probably answer this better, but I'm guessing that what he spent was a lot less than the price difference between the KTM and the KDX..

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
The dyno results look to me that peak values of hp and torque are very close but that the KTM has a wider
powerband (above 30 hp for a powerband of 3000 vrs 2000 for the KDX). Also it revs out 1500 more than the KDX.
But for the money (unless I was a pro racer) I'd still go for the KDX.

woodchuck

May 2, 2000
Re: Not to be negative, but...

Originally posted by woodchuck
One of the things that makes it awesome is the trackable power, something which is generally compromised once its hopped up.
WoodChuck

The key word in my statement is Generally. Because BRush, I agree with your statements about porting if it is done right it can make improvements in all ranges. However, this is not what is typically done (from what I have seen) and is not the only mod which detracts from the friendly tractable nature of a stock KDX. The biggest bang, for the buck is a new pipe. Generally resulting in a bike which likes to wheely easier when it has traction and spin easier when traction is less plentyful. Other attemps to make the bike torquier are changing the sprocket to gear it down, makes the bike jumpy in first gear. I have yet to find a modified KDX which has the same curve to its powerband as a stocker, I'm glad to hear they may be out there with the "mo better" porting.

I find that KDX owners (myself being one of them) are always trying to improve there bikes with, pipes, jetting, reeds, porting, airbox mods, suspension work, new handle bars... more than owners of other bikes which are more race ready out of the box. This is not bad, if it is what you want or like to do, and the end result is a very competitive bike and a KDX is hard to beat for reliablity. If you put a dollar amount to the time spent on mods, the KTM /KDX issue would most likely be a wash. Bottomline: Choose the bike based on the charateristics which are important to you and enjoy riding it. :)

regards,
WoodChuck

OLD-N-SLOW

Nov 21, 2000
In my situation the availibility of parts, number of local dealers, the world
of info at my feet from this forum, and I am getting a bike made the same for
5 or 6 years made the difference for me. If something went wrong i have easy access to parts and help. From all I have seen and read, the ktm is top
quaility and makes lots of power, and would love to have one, but for the above reasons and $2000.00 extra dollars in my pocket.
I really like the 520sx! But $7100.00 is just to much for me:(
Besides my KDX is already to fast for my old arse.:)
Steve

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Re: Re: Not to be negative, but...

Originally posted by woodchuck

I find that KDX owners (myself being one of them) are always trying to improve there bikes with, pipes, jetting, reeds, porting, airbox mods, suspension work, new handle bars... more than owners of other bikes which are more race ready out of the box.

I hear you. :confused: To me, tinkering is half the fun. One observation. You know how the party line goes: “the KTM is ready right out of the box”, etc. I don’t even dispute that it’s true; however someone should tell the owners :p - a number of my regular riding buddies have KTM’s and the funny thing, is none are stock! Look them over and you’ll see steering dampers, revalved suspension, aftermarket bars, and an amazing collection of widgets and gizmos from Enduro Engineering. I guess the urge to tinker and spend persists even when you have a $6K euro bike! :)

MN KDXer

Registered
Jun 7, 1999
Motomad-
It's rather hard to say, "Oh yah, you need this blah-blah-blah bike" without knowing what works best for YOU. If you were like me, I'd say "Go get a RM yadda-yadda-yadda." ITYKWIM.

There is another couple of questions that you need to answer. First, honestly, how fast do you think you're going to be? Not trying to a wise-ankle, but that is a very important self-evaluation you need to make. The KDX, simply by chassis design, is limited in its potential. While it has potential from stock, it has limits which fall below the other bikes. But, if you're only so fast and happy with that, then it doesn't matter that you cannot slide up on the bike to stuff the corners hard, nor will it bother you that the KDX becomes very scarey if shoved hard into corners, and so on.

Second question, is a smaller bike for you? Both the KTM200EXC, (I've taken a couple of short rides aboard one) and KDX are smaller framed bikes, at least they "feel" smaller than the GG200 and 250 everythings. (smaller compared to some of the 125's as well) If you're a taller + bigger guy, then maybe you might consider moving on to a larger framed bike, which would be NEITHER the KDX or the 200EXC. Again, my own experiences with the KDX and RM have shown me that I clearly prefer the longer size of the 250.

A couple of side notes; the KTM does vibrate, I rode a KTM with FMF exhaust and it ripped pretty good. The KDX can be improved a LOT with mods, but it does turn into a green science project. A 250 anything (except those 250F's, forget them) will shred any of the 200s.

Back to the KDX/EXC question... Here's what I see at the races- C class = plenty of KDX. B Class = a couple of KDX A Class = about nobody rides a KDX. One B class bud of mine, rides a totally stock 220 (except for lighter shock spring; he's 150#, 5-7ish) and he LOVES the bike.

I hope this helps. Good luck with the decision. :)

teton

Dec 13, 2000
Just a small side note, Kelby Pepper won the National Enduro Championship a few years ago on a modified (Moose) KDX200, but that is one out of how many years ? (one is better than 0, right!!)
Does a modified KDX want to take off if you grab to much throttle like a 250 ?

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
I would have to agree with Brush in saying the biggest difference is the chassis, compared to a worked over KDX engine. The KTM is stiffer, harder seat, and really set up for agressive riding. If you're NOT riding it agressive, i.e. sitting on the seat, it'll beat you up a lot faster than on a KDX. Neither of the bikes will launch out from under you if you blip the throttle but if you hammer the gas Hang On! :) A guy would have to be a pretty dang good rider to say the KDX wasn't enough bike for him (better than Fredette). But we don't always get just what we Need do we. :p The KDX is definitely a cheaper bike to maintain, buy, and modify. I've already bought my $50.00 shifter levers, and $30.00 clutch lever for my KTM. I guess it all comes down to where your riding level is and how much money you got. ;) Either way they're both great bikes.

motomadness

Mar 18, 2001
thx Guys for all your help. Now I talked to my big brother about the next bike thing. He says go for a 250 and get it setup for woods cause you will wanna bigger bike evenually so grow into the bike just take it easy until u can control it. After he said that it just made me think should i go 250 or stick with the kdx. I m 135 5'9/ 5'10 15 years old. i know i can handle a 250 and all, but the questio is should i go for it or stick with a kdx? I will just recreational ride, jump, ride in the woods, and play race. Also i will do some hare scrambles.

Jeff Roberts

May 5, 2001
KDX/ktm

Danny: I hate to say this but the site is KDX..... I just bought a 01-220Kdx and for the gnarly stuff we ride in here in northeastern Ct, My stock 220 does everything I need it to do and do it with the ktm's and yz's . If you want to rip buy a suz rm 250,if you want to get dirty,get the 220KDX. My .02. Jeff

motomadness

Mar 18, 2001
Ok. I wana get dirty and have some fun. So kdx it is forsure. Now the next big question is do i want 200 or 220? Which is the better bike? which handles better and which is lighter in the woods?

Baked

Apr 6, 2000
Alright... I'm not usaully mean or anything, but I'm just tired of reading about how a KTM is SOOOO much better than a KDX. Give me a break guys... I'm riding Fredette's KDX 220 ISDE Bike from last year, and let me tell you... I had a 98' KDX for the last couple of years in the "C" class, and was about a mid-pack rider. Since I purchased this bike, I moved into the "B" class and have only had one race I didn't trophy at (due to a punctured front tire). This is rediculous... what do you mean that anyone who owns a KDX is always looking to make it better. If you want an affordable bike... that's relatively cheap to maintain... buy the KDX for $4200, take the extra 1100-1500 dollars that you'd have spent on the KTM... put it back into the bike, and you'll have one of the most reliable bikes (minus the XR400) on the market. Race Ready. I read one of you said, "if you want to keep up with the other KTM's you ride with"... that's funny I've passed, and been passed by plenty of KTM's but it was nothing more than the rider's confidence making them go faster. anyway... Hell... if the KTM could make you that much better of a rider... I'm switching to one of them.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I think one issue everyone is missing is return on investment. I have a really clean, tricked out 94 KDX that I bought for $1500 one year ago. I doubt I will ever sell this bike. On the other hand, I would much rather buy a new KTM with a known, solid, re-sale value over a similarly priced hopped-up KDX; if you were to sell them, in the short run I believe that the ROI on the KDX would be lousy. The other side of the arguement is that if working on & improving a bike makes you fell good, than forget about the money or the absolute performance; just do it man, because life is too short!

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
ROI for a dirtbike??? Give me a freaking break. You get a higher return just by flushing money down the toilet. :scream:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If you try to figure out the true $ per hour this hobby costs, you'll be too depressed to enjoy it!

Back to the topic, both bikes are excellent for what they are designed for.

KTM's target is racers of any age, as well as 30-55 year old, affluent, experienced enthusisasts with decent riding skill. Guys who don't care so much about getting the most bang for the buck, but will pay a premium for what they think is the best.

KDX is targeted toward play riders of any age, teens and adults that want their first real dirt bike, under 30 year old racers on a budget, non-racers that still want some zip but can't justify (or afford) a big bucks bike.

Both are well suited to their target audience, and the KDX is certainly good enough to allow a better rider to pass his buddies on their KTMs. Now that's fun!

JoeAverage

Jun 22, 2000
I was recently in the market for a trail bike and had the "tough" decision of choosing between the KDX and the KTM's... I went with the KTM... Yes, my wallet hurts BUT the difference is worth the money... I'll never have to modify my KTM... Everyone modifies their KDX's to the limits and they spend more time and money "improving" it that before you know it, you're close to the 2k in mods and YOUR own time spent alone... I ride with a content smile... Others ride with a pondering question: "Hmmm, maybe I should have...." You get what you pay for when you buy a KTM.... :p

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom