Ktm 200 XC

bblack-22

May 10, 2007
I have an oppourtunity to buy a 2007 Ktm 200 XC with low hours for 3k. Im a newbie to dirtbikes and i was wondering if this was worth it and anything i should look for?

GreyMatter

Apr 21, 2010
KTM's are Really Cool Bike's and Ive owned only 1 and Had minimal problems with it.The Only Complaint I had was That Buying Parts for it is a "Bit" more expensive than Jap Bikes,Other than that It did everything very well and was for the most part a great bike.If It were me I'd Pass On It and Buy A Yamaha Or Suzuki Or Honda.....Stick to the Jap Bikes Is my opinion.The guys around here will offer more info but that's my 2 cents lol

Last edited:

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
For woods riding I prefer the KTM200 to ANY of the current jap bikes, period. 3k is not a bad deal, but not a great deal either. The KTM200 is a great bike. Comes very tricked out in stock form as compared to a japanese bike. It's a great bike for a noob too, although it can be a bit hard hitting.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
They're MUCH better trail bikes than any japanese MX bike. Much smoother engine, better off road suspension, wide ratio tranny and 18inch wheel. If it's really clean and truly has low hours 3k isn't bad. I always like to take a new to me bike apart and look the it over so I KNOW what I got. It's easy to slap lipstick on a pig, ya know?

motodr9

Sep 1, 2003
I ride an 07 200XC (all XC's are close ratio trans-the XCW is a wide) and the bike handles quickly and has a surprising amount of power. The clutch basket is the wear item you should inspect on this bike. Before you buy it, ask the owner if you can inspect the clutch and lay it on its side and have a look for broken fingers in the clutch basket and/or plates. This model was more prone to clutch failures if neglected due to lack of oil movement within the clutch.
Not to scare you off. These bikes are durable and handle well. I got mine to ride in tight singletrack...very happy with it.
If you buy it send me a PM and I can email you pictures of a very simple clutch mod that will improve longevity. I say go for it!

motodr9

Sep 1, 2003
I will also add this...
The powervalve setting and jetting can make this bike into an animal or smooth. Your choice.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…