DougM

Oct 12, 2001
I am a new rider. Started in Aug 01. Been riding mountain bikes for years. I am 6'3" and weigh 190lbs. With gear I weigh 203lbs and with water 208lbs. I have talked to a million people and have gotten a million suggestions. Common theme is a PDS 3 rear shock and .44kg fork springs. I ride tight single track in Northern California with lots of roots, rocks, hills and ruts. Starting to love it.
I like the stock springs (.40kg) and I haven't bottom out yet. I just installed the PDS 3 spring and will try it out on Sunday at Middle Creek. I bought a pair of .42 springs from Holeshot and a 8.6 straight rate rear spring. The 8.6 shock spring with a static sag of 30mm gave me a race sag of 114mm without water and 116mm with water. Denny led me believe he had answer for me when I called about handling the bike through tight trails. I never rode with the 8.6. I started learning this subject and the other day I bought a pair of .44 WP springs at cost from a Club I'm in. Now I have been thinking of putting one of these sets of springs in. .42 for a soft ride (probably better for rocks) or .44 because everyone says I should. Or how about leave stock in because I like the way it is now. If I don't try I won't know. Race Tech web site says for 205lb I need a .436 spring (.44kg)
Also should I try to revalve with race tech and if so should I choose novice/intermediate or advance settings. I ride the advance trails on maps for Northern CA. They are marked beginner through Advanced.

This is my first post and lets see what I get

Doug

Montana300

May 4, 2000
Doug, I also have an '01 300EXC. I bought it in August to replace my '99 300EXC. So what did you want to change about the suspension? Did you go to the heavier fork springs? I think the forks are harsh, but that it is a valving problem which I intend to change with the revalve kit I ordered. I like the stock fork springs for now. So do you have any conclusions to share with us?

Top Bottom