wade450f

Apr 20, 2003
I'm thinking smaller is better for the woods riding I do.
I'm getting tired of the 4 stroke weight (wr450f).

Will this bike be able to haul me around??
(C senior rider)

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
I faced the same dilemma. It's a tough call. I ended up going with the 250EXC. Not too much heavier and I like the broader power spread a lot better.

Ammo

Oct 26, 2003
we bought a 200MXC for my son and that thing flippen RIPS.

I have been riding a DRZ400E for the past couple years, weight in at 240 before gear, and it hauls me around without ANY problems.

in fact, i just switched the rear sprocket from the stock 48 to a 44 as first gear was totally useless, even for my weight. no matter how steep the hill was, I could start out in 2nd without any thought at all.

dropping to a 44 really helped take some of the bite out of it and it'll still wheelie in 6th gear!!!

ktm's 200 is unbelievable.

Mac

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
I ride with several guys about your weight and over 6' tall. When we switch bikes, they can't believe how fast they can go on my 200.

A little extra info. I have an 03' 200exc. I've done everything from desert racing to MX. I ride about twice a week. I race and practice on this 1 bike. I pulled the cylinder off today and took the piston and cylinder to my dealer. They were shocked at how good everything looked and said it would be fine to put back together as is. The piston mic'd a bit small, so I decided to go ahead and replace it and clean the power valves. I have over 250 hrs on this original piston and rings! I've ridden up to 7000' elevation without so much as touching the air screw. I have done over 20 races without a DNF. I never lost an ounce of coolant even in the tightest woods in hot temperatures. I run Maxima Super M at 40/1. I clean the air filter often with no-toil. I change the gear oil regularly with Rock Oil. I've changed the clutch plates once. I'm still on the stock fork seals. I've replaced 1 rear shock heim joint. I wore out my stock foot pegs and shifter tip and break pedal tip. I've crushed a few pipes, 1 beyond repair. I've broken 2 rear spokes. I've bent and worn out 1 rear brake rotor. I've repacked my spark arrester twice. I change spark plugs every few months, but have never fouled a plug. I broke a throttle cable and clutch lever. This bike is tough!

john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
Dayumn!!!...as a soon to be ktm owner--I just got say, go 'head Angry Jim, tell like it is--now that's some testifyin'!!--woo doggy!!!...I'm sold...john

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I am one of the 6' and about 200 pound guys that has ridden Jim's 200, and he speaks the truth.  The bike rips and it is tons of fun to ride.  Less tiring than the bigger KTMs and most every other bike, IMO.  It handles GREAT. 

My favorite bikes are 200-250 two strokes, and the '03 KTM is one of the best I've ever ridden.

BTW, Jim regularly beats bigger bikes in the D36 Vet B Cross Country class.

Humai

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2000
I'll chuck in my sixpence.

I'm 5'11 and 190 without gear and I have an 03 200 EXC too. It has plenty of power - enough to easily keep up to my mostly 250 MX mounted riding buddies.

I love my 200!

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i'm 6' 215 lbs., had 2 ktm 200s, loved 'em both. bought a 250 this time because it's so much lighter than the older 1s that it is much closer in weight to the 200.

Rick H

Nov 6, 2000
I'm about your size and weight and bought a 200 a few years ago, if your into just woods work then it has all the beans you'll ever need. It's when you open things up that it let's you know that is still a small bore. I also found that on those days that you don't have your "race face" on it was less forgiving.

JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
I weigh 210 without gear and I own an '04 200exc. I've also had an '01 250exc. I loved the 250 but this 200 is by far the best bike I have ever owned! It has tons of rip! It lugs very well but has a wicked meaty midrange and top end. I'm so happy with my 200 I think everybody should own one ;)

Top Bottom