KTM 200EXC Not so good now! 520 or 400 ?

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
I loved my 200EXC in the dry. It was light, handled great and went like stink. Now come the throws of Autumn, wet weather and new trails with rocks, hardrock, tricky ascents and decents it aint so good.
Was it a brave (read stupid?) step to go DRZ400E to 200EXC two stroke?
Probably.
This is a lesson in right bike for right conditions. The EXC struggles for grip on wet stony ascents but if you give it a bigger handfull, it wants to wheelie then flip.
Rode a fellow riders KTM 520EXC...........next bike meethinks....or maybe the 400.
I sometimes wish we had America's decent temperatures, but at least we don't get hurricanes and earthquakes! Anyone live in the perfect State with sunshine all year round?

flea

Oct 8, 2001
I wouldn't write off the 200 just yet. Most of the tractability issues can be cleared up with proper tuning. Sort out the jetting and gearing first.
I would agree that the RFS are a no-brainer with regard to rocks and wet stuff, but generally the extra weight carries more issues with it. I love both bikes but regard the 520 as a fun bike. Much faster in the open, but for endures and tight technical stuff the a properly set up 200 gets the nod.

setra200b

Nov 12, 2001
KTM 200

the 200 is awesome! If you are looking for a fault with that bike then you have too much time on your hands that should be used for training or riding. In other words, Shut up and Ride!

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
The 400rfs is a pretty forgiving ride. You want to climb without the Gorilla power fear (520)? Climb aboard a 400. The 200 is a very good bike in our riding areas. I can normally make it up just about anything on a 200 that I can on my 300. However the rfs' are in a different league when it comes to climbing and holeshots!

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
excuse me please...

What is the yahoo group for the 200?
I am wondering what the needle of choice is.
Thanks in advance.
Bill

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
I've wimped out with more expense and messing about-I just wanna ride!
The 200 has gone back to the retailer for him to sell. I don't know whether it'll be a 400 or 520. Depends what he can get. Still big issues with supply in the UK even though we could throw a stone into Austria from here!
Some unscrupulous dealers are charging £300 ($500) over list price for both models. Very naughty!

I need a no-brainer bike cos I'm a .........

:ugg: soon to be:)

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
Its the 520 !!!!!!

Ordered and due for delivery in January 2002.

My dealer spoke to KTM's 2nd in command at the Birmingham Bike Show but he can't get any extra 400's or 520's. The factory must be flat out !

woodsripper

Dec 10, 2000
Change your order to a 400 EXC if you can. Your concern over rideablity in rocks and slippery soil will not be solved with the 520. You may have difficulty in slippery conditions because the 520 has very noitceable power pulses at low RPM and it really has too much power for anything except for open trails, desert, sand, etc. The 400 is much easier to ride in nasty conditions, although a properly jetted and geared 200 EXC would probably be even better.:scream:

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Hmmm, I understand there was a handling issue with the stock tires on KTMs which is why KTM was giving away a set of Michellins with any new bike earlier this year. What tires did your 200 have and what tires will the 520 have?

I haven't rode a KTM 4-stroke, but for me the best woods, mud, rock, and all around bike I ever rode was a KTM 250 EXC.

Last edited:

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
I rode the 520 on the trails I will be riding. It made my mind up to buy the 520 rather than the 400. I can't afford to buy a 400 and then change to a 520. I need low down lug which 520 gave in heaps. A UK mag criticised the 400 low down compared to the DRZ and WR426. The 520 also wheelied on the trails without effort :p

All KTM's in the UK come with Bridgestones Gritty enduro tyre. Watts and Lafferty apparently both use Michelin S12 front and M12 rear in all competition. In the UK, Gritty front and Barum C11 rear (cheap and cheerful MX tyre) have been recommended to me.

Tyre change will be first on my agenda when the 520 arrives.

clw

Dec 29, 2000
It's the other way!

M12 front, S12 rear

The S12 front doesn't cross over to a firmer base near as well as a m12 front does to sand.

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
CLW
I read the piece again and you are right. I was going to correct myself tonight but you beat me to it !!!

Do you know what size Lafferty uses on the back ?

A friend downsized on his 520 but he's not sure about 'feel'.

ToddHawaii

Apr 3, 2000
Too Fun! You will HAVE to let us know what you think? Your riding conditions sound similar to here in Hawaii. I ran S12s on my HuskyWR250, outstanding tire, but went to Pirelli Garacross - incredible! My S12s were 140/80/18.

Aloooha!!:)
TrailTramp
98'87'74'Husky

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Originally posted by drz mick
CLW
I read the piece again and you are right. I was going to correct myself tonight but you beat me to it !!!

Do you know what size Lafferty uses on the back ?

A friend downsized on his 520 but he's not sure about 'feel'.

Guess what Lafferty rode his last 2 (or 3) races on? KTM 400:D

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
Lansing Cycle (owned by Lafferty's mechanic, Alan Randt) recommends 130/80-18. I'd think that comes from their experience with what works for Mike.

Top Bottom