TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
LawmanNV, I'd be interested to know how much time you spent on both bikes. When I had my WR400 and would switch between it and the KTM 300, it would take me 45 minutes to an hour just to start riding the 4 stroke well. The bikes are so different that it takes a spode like me quite some time and miles to figure out how to make it work. At least with the Yammie, as I spent about 4 to 1 more time on the KTM and just rode the WR when the KTM was down (which was not very often).

45 minutes to and hour seems to be what it takes for me to adapt. Right now I ride the trials bike 3 days a week and the dirt bike maybe once every 3 weeks (and throw in the KLR and BMW in between for good measure) so it takes me that much time to get the KTM working under me.

Initial impressions are one thing, really riding a bike in a variety of conditions is another from my experience. The WR400 was an OK trail bike when the trails were cut ATV width. Get it into "real" trails and it became more of a handful.

The only exception to this I've experienced lately was going between my 300 and the 520 EXC. I rode a small enduro on the 300, then jumped on a bud's 520. Transition time was zero, zip, nada. The 520 turned just like my 300, steered thru the pegs the same, and the motor worked surprizingly similarly. The biggest differenced was to not stay on the loud grip too hard 'cuz the 520 would hit warp speed in an instant with its extra HP over the 300. A subsequent ride on the 520 in a more open area brought out its higher center of gravity, but overall the transition was remarkably easy.

Top Bottom