GASGAS18

Apr 25, 2002
looking for someone who has ridden both of these bikes and understands them. i have a 2000 gasgas ec200, looking to update. i want a ktm because its much easier for me to get parts. im looking at the 04 ktm200 exc. Ive heard this bike is much more powerful than the gasgas. Is that true? How do they compare.

I was also considering an 04 husky te250, until i rode my brothers ktm250exc back to back with my cousins ktm250rfs. Its very hard to go back to 4-stroke. I know the te250 is a much better bike than the rfs, but its gona take a ton of convincing from someone who has ridden the rfs250 back to back with the husky. Unless its like night and day difference. especially that i ride a 2stroke 200, it makes it tougher to decide. I cant ride a te250 either. If i buy it and dont like the power im screwed.

Old WR Rider

Mar 3, 2003
I rode em all and ended up buying a 2003 GG ECO 300 DE. Unless you have to have a 200 to run a certain class step up tp the 300 GG. It has tons of low end like a 4 stroke, is very smooth and a big smooth top end with the LTR jet kit. It also feels like a 125 due to the light weight and GG superb handling.

GASGAS18

Apr 25, 2002
I love gasgas. But I was having problems getting parts. I kind of wanted to go with ktm, or at least husky. Ktm was the brand i was more geared toward because there are dealers everywhere.

I duno if a 300 is a good bike for me.The 200 seemed perfect for the type of New England riding i do. Mostly tight woods, but also love the open powerlines! and felids! hah
I wasnt looking for more power because i dont think i need it. Im not a hardcore rider, just a weekend rider with my freinds , brother, cousins etc

Im 19 5 7, and about 135-140 lbs. I think its more bike than i need. Maybe im wrong though. How much do they go for?

Last edited:

GASGAS18

Apr 25, 2002
6600! ouch. i would also have to have the bike shipped. Add on another 300 on top of that lol. Unless you know a dealer that is offering that bike for about 5600 otd lol. theres no way i can afford it
YIKES!

I can get an 04 200exc shipped here for 5300! including shipping.

Last edited:

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
Problem getting parts for you gas'er?? Hmmmmm. Have you talked to Jim @ Smackover motorsports or Steve a Moto West?? I have had my 99 EC200 for several years and have never had a problem with parts.

This shootout between the KTM & GasGas has been brought up here many many times... Try doing a search......

Good luck.....

Rick
AMA
D-36

GASGAS18

Apr 25, 2002
No, smackover usually has everything i need. Its just easier to get parts from a local dealer than to ship them.
I guess thats a sacrafice to be made when you want a better bike like husky or gasgas :)

Id like to know what the new gasgas ec200s are going for. i know they retail for about 6000, but i duno if thats how much dealers are asking. My uncle and i both have them, and i think i should keep with it. ive heard the ktm200 is too much bike to be called a 200 and the gasgas ec200 is much more tameable. Proly better suited for me.

Only thing, is that i can get a ktm here for much cheaper than the gg.Way cheaper! uness someone has some good deals going on! Let me know, and ill consider another gasgas!

Heck, i might be able to convince my bro and cousin to go to gasgas. In fact i am almost positive i could, but we'll see.

GASGAS18

Apr 25, 2002
Did a search, basically everything i could want to know was answered. This topic has been discussed a gazillion times heh. most are from 02-03. The 04s are different tho hehe.

Like I said before. The one thing holding me back is the price. I dont think the gasgas is overpriced. I think its a great bike for the money. I just have to ask myself, is the weekend riding that i do worth the extra money, and having my parts shipped? I think If the price is right on a new gasgas maybe its a possibility.

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
I've had 2 KTM 200's and 2 GasGas 200's over the years and I really don't think the KTM's have that much more power. It's just the GG has a wider spread of power. You have to tune the hit out of the KTM. The KTM is lighter and the parts are easier to get. They both handle great, just different. I have ridden the KTM's for longer with much less maintenance expense than the GG. I don't think I'll buy another GG until we have a good local dealer close by. All the local GG dealers here have closed shop.
The GG will be harder to sell for sure.
At your weight, I'd get the KTM 200.

GASGAS18

Apr 25, 2002
coming off an ec200 do you think it would make much of a difference switching to the 200exc? Ive heard guys say they had to get used to it
Considering i ride for fun basically and dont take it too seriously. Unless im trying to beat my brother or cousins heh.

why should i chose the ktm over the gg because of my weight? jw why u said that. I just figured it'd be close to the same for both.

I have ridden my brothers 99 ktm 250exc a few times. His is modded tho. It has a strong hit to it. Its a powerful bike, but i dont like it compared to my gg at all. I love the smooth power or my gg. Its a great bike.

My bro also has a trials bike. when My buddy came over he rode the trials bike. (He rides 125's.)
I went up this very steep section of a hill on my 200 (family is very trials oriented heh- as well as enduro)
he couldnt believe i made it up it, and he tried on the trials and couldnt.hes a good rider too, but he flipped the damn thing over backwards. I remember goin up that damn hill on my yz 80. duno how the hell i did that lol.

anyways, im still debating the 2.
we'll see

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
I meant to say at your weight I'd stay with the 200 as opposed to any 250 or 300's.
The KTM does feel lighter and smaller than the GG. The GG 200 is based on their 250 and the KTM 200 is based on the 125 chassis.

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Hey, if you really like the GG for the smoothness, stay with it. The KTM 200 MXC hits hard. Not sure how the EXC is. Try before you buy but if you ask me, a used GG is a steal.

Top Bottom