JKM

Feb 26, 2000
Looking for last minute advice.I'm pretty sure I'm going to by a 2001 200 EXC.and was wondering if there is anybody out there that has regretted not buying the 250 instead.I've been riding a KDX 220 for a couple of years in enduro type trails and some desert areas.My brother rides a 300 EXC and I have rode but it has too much power in most applications.He out weighs me by about 70lbs.The KDX has been absolutley reliable and I spend most of the time in 2cnd and 3rd gear.Can the 200 be lugged around like the KDX.I realize it will have alot more power than the KDX.I plan on riding one tomarrow but the dealer is located in the city. Any help would greatly appreciated. p.s. I did do search in hope of an answer Thanks again, Jeff

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I doubt you will regret anything about the 200, and there is no lack of power! Now admittedly I’m a 135-pound female C- or maybe even D-class rider who had an XR200 for a year, but I really think—as do others who have ridden the bike—that bike has some serious power. It makes ponies from idle all the way to the top. It is pretty smooth, as long as you jet it (and it probably won’t be from the dealer). I can run it in second even on steep hills and clutch it and never have a problem (other than my lack of riding skill). Check out www.motorsportsnews.com for MY KTM 200 review in the bike review section—a little more realistic than the various SoCal glossy magazines bike tests, as far as I’m concerned. Things to watch out for: everything will rattle loose. Check everything, including kickstand and kickstarter bolts, bar mounts, seat bolts, and everything else. Tighten spokes. The kickstand is wimpy—I took mine off.

2nat2

Jul 15, 2001
I would let your test ride be the guide.I own a 200 exc and wouldn't trade, the low end hit is very strong.I've read the 250exc is actually a little more mellow as far as how the power is delivered.The bike is very light and IMO handles very well it's also a good jumper.I used to clutch my bikes alot but with the 200exc I hardly use it.One thing though, this bike likes to be ridden hard, it doesn't pamper you if(when) you cruise.Hope this helps.

JKM

Feb 26, 2000
Thanks for your replies. I guess there is no substitute for test rides as everybody has a little different riding style.It sounds like it will be a great bike .I am hoping for more power without losing the tractability of the KDX. Firecraker ,I had forgotten that I had read your reveiw in the Motorsport News on the 200 a couple of weeks ago. Great article ,and good to hear from a fellow Washingtonian ,I'm from Chimacum,WA. Thanks again

Bullwinkle

Aug 25, 1999
From some one that is at least 70 pounds over weight Ive found it helps to get traction on the starts. It also helps with momentum over logs. The extra 70 can also be an advantage on head butts as I demonstrated on one of our last rides. As far as the 200 I'm sure it will rip. I'm just not sure I will like it. I will have to get used to you dogging me. I'm sure you would be happy with either bike.

Your heavy but faster brother Jim

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
JKM--thank you. That was a horrible picture of me in there but we didn't have any action shots of me actually RIDING it. I wanted to download the jpg of the new bike off the ktm website but my boss said no, he wanted that one. :silly: oh well.

Where is Chimacum? Where do you ride?

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i'm on my 2d 200 exc, & i've ridden a bunch of kdx's, incl. at least 1 with the full fredette treatment. imo, 1 of the places where the kdx edges the ktm (at least stock) is in tractability in really technical going. it has smoother power, esp. right on the bottom. it also has LESS power, which can be better if you are in a really hairy spot. on the other hand, imo, the ktm trumps the kdx in pretty much every other way, & you can add tractability if you need/want it with a steahly flywheel, for about $100. if, after you jet it right, you want smoother power, lower in the rev range, the fmf gnarly pipe will get you that. you can make the bike into pretty much whatever you want.

i also have a ktm 250, a '97 model i keep for a backup, & it just gathers dust while i thrash the 200 every weekend. i've ridden/raced the dickens out of it for 18 months, & it's had no problems or repairs other than ordinary wear items.

if you are looking at 200s, you might also consider the gas gas. i've ridden that 1 too, & it's kind of between the ktm & kdx in its state of tune. depends on what you like.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
So even with the already heavier EXC flywheel, the extra weight helps? Hmm. Until I learn some throttle control (talk about an acclimatization process, I’m used to an XR200!) I like the idea of smoothing out the power. That sounds like a pretty good plan. All of this makes a big difference? I’ve been kind of resisting the idea of "de-tuning" my bike as I feel like I should learn to ride it as is, not compensate for my lack of skill . . . but we do ride LOTS of nasty, gnarly technical stuff and my learning curve . . . well, I don’t seem to have one. :think

I think I may add the weight and pipe to my "wanted" list.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
fc, you & i have discussed this some on the 200 e-group, you just didn't know it was me! i have a flywheel weight on my bike, which is set up for tight, gnarly enduros. i put it on there at the rec. of some guys on the e-group. i like it. it takes away some of the wheelspin, makes the bike easier to control in tight spots & esp. when it's slick. the only thing it takes away is that if you let it fall off the pipe, it takes a fraction longer to rev back up. a buddy, a better rider who has the fmf pipe on his bike, hates the weight. it's a preference thing.

as for getting used to the bike's quirks, my philosophy is that i don't work for the bike, it works for me. why should i adapt to it? it should adapt to me!

JKM

Feb 26, 2000
KTM 200 EXC

Well,I test rode the 200 the other night,really liked it ,and ended up with it in the back of my truck.It is going to take a little time to get it dialed in ,suspension ,handle bars position ect.but I think it's going to be wicked fast.One problem I have in the first 4 miles is the fuel petcock is leaking with the gas turned on.It doesn't leak at the hose or the tank but at the valve itself.I'm sure there will be a few little gremlins that pop up that need to be fixed. Firecraker ,Chimacum is on the Olympic Penninsula about 10 mi. N.W. of the hood canal bridge.I have ridden most all of the areas over here ,Belfair,Shelton, Capitol Forest,and Vantage in E. WA.and there are a few good trails that are off power lines around here .Poker runs are a good way to find new areas and everybody on the trail should be going in the same direction.Happy Trails and maybe we'll run into each other,well l not literally I hope.JKM

Top Bottom