KDX- kid#11

Apr 19, 2002
I have a KDX 200 and was thinking of getting a KTM 2-stroke enduro bike. I was wondering which would be the best a KTM 250 EXC or KTM 300 EXC? I ride in southern IL., Indiana, and Kentuky. So you could say I ride in fairly tight woods. I have heard a lot of good things about both. I really want a bike with an awsome amount of torque.

I would appreciate any info you have to offer.

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
For what its worth I was set to trade my trusty 400 MXC for a brand new 250 EXC. After much discussion I was persuaded to buy an '04 300, much of the discussion centered around the bikes ability to produce low end power. I am willing to bet you, however that most will tell you to go the 250 route.

trucktramp

Dec 15, 2002
I have a 300exc and love it. Many call it a 3 stroke and I always grinned at that until I took a weekend trip to Upper Michigan. If I needed the power hit of a 2 stroke all I had to do was drop a gear, twist the throttle, and hang on. If I wanted to use the torque of the bike I would run it in a higher gear. It never ceased to impress me. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a 300. The only thing that I have ever ridden that was more of a torque monster was a cr500 that used to belong to Jeff Stanton. If you get the 300 you won't be disappointed.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Vortex(Oldschool) said:
I am thinking about buying a Exc 300 Probably a 2000 ( im not rich like you all are) are there any points i need to know about them before I make my decision?

I had a 2000 model, now I have a 2003 model 300. Many people talk about nuts and bolts loosening on KTMs which I have never had that experience. Don't get me wrong, I have lost the occasional one here and there, but make checking nuts and bolts part of your regular maintenance. Check the kickstarter and shifter bolts. A little blue loctite on ones that seem to loosen a little should solve any problem.

The only complaint I had on the 2000 model was that my boot caught the radiator shroud near the seat. I took a utility knife and cut a little of each side and rounded the tip or it and no more problems.

Just be sure to check normal things when buying the bike. Quality of nuts and bolts will(rounded/missing, etc..) will tell you alot of someones mechanical ability and leanings. Color and condition of oil, what shape are sprockets and chain in and if they cleaned the air filter. Check suspension adjusters, are they rounded off. I don't know of KTM instances of having cracked frames but try to inspect for that closely to as well as bent sub-frames.

I have had 4 KTMs now and all have been excellent bikes and posed now particular maintenance problems. Make regular inspections on your scoot to prevent mishaps and a good thorough inspection on buying a used motorcycle. If you have a buddy that rides KTMs, take he/she along with you to inspect a potential purchase. When I look at a used bike I generally take another well versed dirt bike buddy with me too to notice anything that I may overlook while talking with the seller. Maybe someone else will jump in here and mention some other things to note while buying a used bike.

If you choose to buy a 300, I don't think you will be disappointed. :cool:

Jun 1, 2004
Thanx man. I dont know anyone that rides pumpkins exept for my cousins old 2stroke mxc550 (a humbling experience to ride). But i do know someone who works on them that wouldnt mind to take a look.

I hear that ktm's have bad resale in SEUSA anyone know about that?

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I agree with Moteaux on all the above. KTM's are just quality machines, with standard Brembo brakes (ala Formula 1), braided stainless hoses, powdercoated frames, x-ring chains, etc.

I suspect your info of poor resale is dated. Most KTMs keep their values quite well. Most people look at my '99 300exc and can't believe it's more than a year old. BTW, as others noted, you won't be disappointed with a 300 E/XC -- if you can find one. The M/XC's are cheaper on resale since they're not as popular (main difference is mxc has close ratio, MX-style gearbox vs. the exc's wide ratio).

Chris_S

Nov 25, 2002
I rode Doug's 300 and loved it! Previously I had a negative mental impression of them as overpowered beasts, but nothing could be further from reality. Felt plenty light and agile, but w/ 450 thumper-like power.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I had a 95 KDX200 and now have a 98 KX250. I was able to demo ride the 05 KTM's at Dirtweek. I rode a 250 and a 300exc. My preference was the 300 for the kind of riding I do. It was fast but smoother than my KX. I would consider the 250exc if I was serious about racing enduros because I could ride it hard for longer without wearing out but it didn't seem as exciting or fun. Both bikes felt light and super model thin.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
I ride a KDX 200and had a KTM 250EXC but could not for the life of me handle that 2x4 seat! I couldn't find anybody who sold as soft of foam as I wanted. If it wasn't for that and the fact that I almost killed myself on it because of the awesome power delivery and my lack of throttle control, I would be riding a pumpkin too! :)

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
KTM listened and the '05s have a new seat that's supposed to be quite nice compared to previous years. I believe it's EE that makes a soft seat for older KTMs. I like the one on my '99 just fine, but it's an aftermarket seat cover and the previous owner could have changed the foam, too.

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
It seems i read somewhere that when they put the larger engine (300 from 250) that there are some concerns of getting hot with the larger motor. I cannot personaly confirm this however.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Nope, nothing else. And bolts coming loose hapens on all dirt bikes, especially 2 strokes that vibrate a bit more. My 300exc has never puked any coolant out and I live and ride in Texas. Well, I do go through rear tires a little faster with my 300, and some people don't like to ride too close behind me on rocky trails....

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Early this week I got to ride an '04 200 EXC back-to-back with an '01 300 EXC. Like most people, I would have expected the 300 to require a disciplined throttle hand. Not so. The 200 was far more hyper...I think frantic would be a good description. It has a punchy power delivery and razor handling, but there's a lot of shifting in the first 3 gears.
The 300 pulled hard, and required a lot less shifting. First gear was kind of optional. At one point I came into a corner way too hot, leaned it over, rolled the throttle gently, and it just tracked around in a ridiculously fast arc...no breaking loose of either end. Very impressive. If I didn't weigh 120 lbs I would put this bike at the top of my "must have" list. Ironically, it doesn't feel like a big bike, probably because of the smooth power, and I found the lower seat height a real treat compared to my MX'er.

Jun 1, 2004
Wow, if all this is true im gonna buy one 4 sure.

I am going to have to sell my 99 to be able to afford it,

I am hoping the 300 will be as durable as the 200 i have (which i can vouch for as more durable than i thought after being stuck in pitch dark with failed headlights and a overheated engine and still making it to the truck with only one handlebar mount completely broken off)

Well, only 2 more questions i guess.

1.how is it on gas( ill be riding with four strokes and sometimes forget to check it twice as mutch)

2. how is the aftermarket support?

3. anyone want a kdx200 ?

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
After it being overheated , a broken headlight and a broken handlebar mount???? :think:
You need to work on your selling skills! :laugh:

Jun 1, 2004
I also have some concern for the trails i ride. The woods around here are not only rediculously tight, they are stocked full of small lakes, downed trees, and gravel pits.

Thx,
vortex

Top Bottom