motomadness

Mar 18, 2001
ktm 200 mxc/ exc?

Now the question is should I get the mxc or the exc 200 ktm. I m 5'9 134lbs. I currently ride a ttr 125L and I m beating the hell out of it by jumping it. But anywho, I will ride about 70%woods and 30% on a practice track with 3 nice big jumps. not very big though. I will also get into racing harescrambles at budds creek maryland. So which will better suit me, the exc 200 or mxc 200. I learn very very fast. I learned to ride on a ttr125L and knew what i was doing in 10 mins poppin wheelies. So getting used to the bike will be no problem. But Which is better and will be good for my riding thank you.

Last edited:

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
You didn't say what part of the country you're in (I don't know where budds creek is). However, it sounds like the E/XC due to the wide ratio transmission and a little more tame engine that is better in the woods/trails. The lights could also be a plus if your hare scrambles require them. They're both great bikes for sure and both have the suspension to jump very well.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
uh Doug,

motomadness

Joined DRN:
Mar 2001

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Here is my opinion. I had an xr100 and I bought a 00 cr125. I have no complaints. The suspension works great. It has more power than you'll need for a while. By a cr, you won't think you made a mistake.
PS. I've done a hare scramble at Budd's, have an xr100 and a cr125, so feel free to ask me any questions

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I don't know how I missed your location - brain fart! Anyway, E/XCs are generally regarded as a better bike than M/XCs for East Coast riders, so that reinforces my original statement. And though I currently ride a KLX300, it's only because I got a really good deal on it. My next bike is an E/XC and I'm struggling between the 200 2-smoke and the 400 or 520 thumper.

Nothing wrong with a CR125 in the woods if you want to ride really aggressively. In fact a cool setup is a CR or YZ125 that has been bored to 144 or a little larger for more bottom end torque. A friend of mine who rides hare scrambles here in the senior class has a 200 E/XC and he calls it a 125 magnum -- once again KTM has done it all for you from the factory and you're ready to race. He says he can ride his 200 E/XC all day without getting tired since it's such a light, nicely suspended bike.

(Prior to this he had an XR400 -- said he was worn out after about an hour due to the extra weight. And before the XR400 he had an XR200, if that helps you get a feel for where he came from).

Last edited:

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
That cr looks nothing like the newer ones. I would try to get more money and buy a newer one. Also that has the stress mark on the rear fender. Don't forget if the pipe looks like it does, he might take care of other parts of the bike in a similar fasion. On cycletrader, did you see the 00cr125 in Bristow, VA? That's the one that I bought

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Just curious what happened to the KTM 200 since you started this post off saying the decision was made for a KTM 200 (while the title was KTM250!). Did cost now become the real issue?

Again I've never known anyone who bought a KTM 200 (or any KTM for that matter) with buyer's remorse. In fact, you may want to check out Firecracker 22's posts and her Web site review of the bike in other threads.

Last edited:
Top Bottom