Bill_yz

Jun 18, 2001
My local Yamaha dealer has a used '99 KTM 250 SX on sale for $3,300. Seems to be in decent shape. What is the potential for this being a good woods/trail bike? Or would it be better for me to wait on an EXC?

There is a shop here who does good work with suspensions if that is all it would need. Would the power band of the SX be too much for the woods/trails?

My skill level is not that great and I'm currently rididng a yz 125. I'm really interested in getting a KTM or GG in the near future just haven't found the right deal yet....Thanks, Bill

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
My opinion is to keep shopping for a 250 EXC or a Gas Gas. I've ridden a lot of MX bikes in the woods and they certainly can be ridden on the trails and work decently. But an EXC or a motorcycle built for the woods is much more pleasant to ride. You could make the SX just as pleasant as an EXC, but you would have to put money into it...suspension work, flywheel weight, etc. My advice, for whatever it's worth, would be to wait and shop for a more woods-oriented machine.

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
Actually the SX is not that bad. They always had more down low with less hit than the Jap bikes. For '99 I believe it even had the same porting as the EXC. If you add a flywheel weight and have it revalved it would probably be pretty good, although there is no lighting coil. If its in very good shape and you can perhaps get it even cheaper, don't rule it out completely. Look around first, at least in my area there are many used KTM EXCs available.

If you really want a GG, talk to Jim Cook at SMS. Perhaps he has something available or knows of one in good shape. At my local dealer here in NJ, there is a mint '00 XC300 with only a couple tanks of fuel through it for $4400.

KTMMIKE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 27, 2000
Bill_yz,

I had a '99 250SX that I rode woods with. I did add a 10oz. flywheel weight & did the suspension. All said & done I did like it better than my 250MXC which was a '99 also. Although they were a close comparison. If you can't find a MXC/EXC go for the SX. Just be prepared to do the modifications.

Bill_yz

Jun 18, 2001
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to pass on the SX and wait on a more woods oriented bike due to the need for suspension re-valve, flywheel weight, and lighting. I'm sure a good bike will turn up. ...Thanks again for the insight.

ted jackson

May 18, 2001
Hey, FWIW I am an intermediate rider who just switched from a 250 XR to a 250 SX. It's not modified. I have really enjoyed riding it on all kinds of trails. It has good low end torque and I like the suspension. I agree with the flywheel weight, it stalls pretty easily. My friend has a 1999 380 EXC and I don't like it as much, the SX is more nimble.

Top Bottom