DerEnman

Dec 22, 1999
Big dillemma... not ready for one of the KTM thumpers yet, though... boy, are they sweet. I want one more 2 stroke before they get banned.

So here's my choice. 250SX or 250MXC. I know a lot about the SX.. but nobody ever does a review on the MXC. And I'm sick and tired of my cramped, slow, fat 2001 KX250.

I do a lot of motocross and track riding, and my KX250 is a little too peppy for trail riding with my bros. Gotta hit up some enduros too.

How's the MXC handle? How does it turn? What's the power feel like? How many HP is coming out? How's the ergos? Is the suspension up to par, or is all the good stuff only going onto the SX?

That's it, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Danke,
Joe "Der" Enman
****ty Ass KX250

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
This year's KTM 250 engine is a freaking rocket from what all the mags say. It pushed 49.5hp on the dyno in at least one test in the SX version. Other posts have indicated that the MXC/EXC motor's are using the same cylinder and piston, although with a different ignition and heavier flywheel, so they have to be rockets, too.

MXC shares it's suspension with the EXC so it'd probably be soft for MX. The SX is the only model to get the new 48mm USD forks and the new shock with the high/low compression damping adjustments. The SX and MXC share the same close ratio tranny.

I think the KTM's turn well. You have to get used to being a bit more forward on the bike to get them to really turn well but it's a short learning curve.

kenkfish

Dec 16, 2000
To me it is a "no brainer". I considered either an exc or mcx 250. I currently have the sx250. Although the mxc and exc 250's are the finest off road bikes made, I will keep my sx and set it up for offroad. Typically most people get their suspensions revalved along with certain other mods, even if they get the "right bike" for their application. So why pay extra for older style layout, older style forks, swingarm, plastic, handlebars, etc.. Unless you want the headlight and other enduro goodies, you will pay less for the sx and still set it up as you need. And yes, the 02sx250 is a rocket. It will need a flywheel weight. KTM even makes a large capacity sx tank that works with the new layout. Good luck

Blue Thunder

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2000
Look out...a blue thumper rider is jumping in here...a few weeks ago I rode BigLou's 01'250MXC back to back w/an 02' SX250. Let me just say that those are two radically different power plants. The feel of the bikes are very similar..ergonomics wise..power though..oof..that SX is mean! For scrambles and playing on a track or even occasional motox the MXC would be the ticket. The SX would just flat wear you down w/o a flywheel weight..2nd gear sends the front end up with very slight throttle openings!! The MXC suspension is wonderful, and makes it a pleasure to ride wherever. The rider that is tossing around the idea of SX vs. MXC should realistically look at the shape they are in and the intended use for their next bike. Hope this helps and I am now returning the wonderful world of thumpers..:confused:

fastboy

Nov 5, 2001
mxc vs sx

I'm with FISH and Thunder. I think you should ask yourself what type of riding you'll be doing the most. I've got the 250 mxc set up for desert and it's a great all around play bike, but has plenty of power to keep up with my buds. The powerband on the MXC is more of a smooth usable power vs the kick in the pants powerband of the SX. If you are looking at competative racing though, ie motocross or supercross, I would go with the SX. The suspension on my MXC is OK for trails and desert, but not so good for the track if you are a real fasr rider who is clearing 90 ft table tops.

Top Bottom