katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
OK, new thread as requested:
Comparing the 'new' KTM to my last KTM (04 200EXC) probably isn't fair but I have also spent a little time on the 06 KTM 200XC-W so maybe I can make some reasonable comments.
I now have just under 100 miles on the 250XCF-W and 1st off, I'll say that I AM Impressed. I didn't expect it to be as good as it is. Since I am also keeping my 05 YZ 250 (2 stroke) that I really like in the woods - I bought the KTM as a 2nd bike that I plan to street legal title so that I can ride it places the YZ 250 can't legally go (connecting loops, dual sporting the U.P. etc) - I really didn't plan on it as my primary off-road mount but now I can say it could easily be THE off-road choice.

But then I am supposed to be comparing it to the other KTM's aren't I?

here goes. The suspension on the 04 was - well, not the greatest, the 06 is much better, the bike likes to turn whereas the 04 isn't near as natural, feels top heavy, doesn't want to 'lay' into a turn.
The 07 XCF-W is everything the 06 is and more. After riding the YZ, jumping on any stock KTM (except the SX's) felt like "mushy" suspension to me - I prefer the somewhat stiffer YZ hitting stuff at speed.

The new XCF-W fork is very plush for the 1st few inches of travel, you hardly notice the small logs, rocks, roots, etc. (lots better than the YZ or either of the KTM200's) but for bigger hits the new KTM will also handle it without upsetting the suspension like the earlier KTM's (one of my biggest reasons for going to a YZ in the 1st place) the front end turns similar to other KTM's, once you are used to it - no problem but jumping off a YZ, it does feel a bit "lazy" - not bad just different, if you ride a KTM now, you probably won't notice any difference.

Shock/rear suspension: Wow what a difference here - set up exactly like my 04 (114mm race sag-4 clicks softer compression, 2 clicks harder rebound) this thing is sweet - handles the small hits similar to the front end but it's the big hits (like with the front end) that impresses me the most - again this is where I felt the earlier KTM's (stock) had a problem - not any more.

Balance front to rear is excellent - whoops, no problems at speed, neither is the slow technical stuff, this is a very nice handling bike. weight is a non-issue. it feels every bit as light as a 200, weight must be low because I know it does weigh more than the 200, it just does not feel like it.

Motor: what can I say? this thing flat out hauls butt - it does not sound or feel like a 250cc. You can easily run a gear tall, short shift all day long if you want, just keep the rev's up over idle and you'll be fine. Slow speed turns in 3rd gear (like the 200's) no problem - in fact I think it'll pull the taller gear without as much clutch (and RPM's) as the 200 needs under the same circumstances. Riding Long lake with those long (and very sandy right now) uphills - I was upshifting to 3rd and even 4th (I would have been in 3rd with the 200 - or the YZ)
There is enough engine braking to be noticeable, especially when I let Larry try it and I jumped on his RM250 and proceeded to 'blow right thru that 1st corner' - I guess I was already beginning to use the engine braking with the KTM without realizing it. Some guys do not like engine braking with a 4 stroke - personally I think it's one of their advantages if used properly - I like it, the 250XCF-W has enough to notice/use but not enough to bother you or slow you down.

Larry commented that the rear suspension was THE best feeling of any bike he has ever ridden, he liked the fork too but felt the bike turned 'weird' (remember he's been riding RM's for a while now so KTM's will feel different). I'm not sure that I'd call it the best handling bike I have ever ridden (I really do like the YZ, except for the small hits) but it sure is head and shoulders better than any of my old KTM's and I'm sure that you won't be at much (if any) disadvantage anywhere.

Ok, there you have it - Oh ya, the motor likes a few hours on it before it wants to idle real well. Plus I'm told that the real power shows itself after 10 hours or so - it's got plenty right now.

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
Thanks for the write up Randy. I just got a call from the dealer and mine has arrived. :nener: Can't ride for awhile but I'll be able to sit in the garage with it and have a beer. All of the write ups so far seem to be very impressive. I'm happy.
Denny

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Don't fall off it on the stand in the garage there denny.

I'm stoked about my 2007 250 XC-W (smoker) as it will have the same suspension and a new and improved lighter motor. Al has been riding his already and he says it's pretty good.

I get mine Thursday. :cool:

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Denny,
if you want I could pick it up for you & break...........it in for you this weekend at Roselog!!!!!!!! :yikes: I just love those thumpers as you know! :ride: Let me know if this will work for you and we can work out the details.
Your bike treating right friend, :nener:
Don

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Don Marsh said:
Denny,
if you want I could pick it up for you & break...........it in for you this weekend at Roselog!!!!!!!! :yikes: I just love those thumpers as you know! :ride: Let me know if this will work for you and we can work out the details.
Your bike treating right friend, :nener:
Don

Don, that would be a dangerous move as once you go orange that blue just ain't as pretty.

Ward

Jan 23, 2006
TCTrailrider said:
Thanks for the write up Randy. I just got a call from the dealer and mine has arrived. :nener: Can't ride for awhile but I'll be able to sit in the garage with it and have a beer. All of the write ups so far seem to be very impressive. I'm happy.
Denny

Now that your new 250F is in which bike are you going to sell the 450 or 300? Or are you going to bring all three to the trail head and decide which to ride then?

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Ward said:
Now that your new 250F is in which bike are you going to sell the 450 or 300? Or are you going to bring all three to the trail head and decide which to ride then?

I already saw his 4 fiddy is fo sale, if I were a richer man I'd buy it for a D/S mo sheen, but thats not in the cards.

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
Ward said:

The 300 is for my son to ride. The 450 has been sold, only need one thumper. Listed it on KTMtalk, worked out well.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
TCTrailrider said:
I think the HP is around 85, but I read that on the internet.

That was the estimate for the 990 SuperDuke. ;)

I would guess 35HP would be more realistic.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
TCTrailrider said:
I think the HP is around 85, but I read that on the internet.

I see you are still on the pain killers yet huh Denny? Well you still got your sense of humor though! :nod:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Very well done Randy! THanks.. Hey, if you get a chance will you please weigh that puppy? IF nothing else, take your wifes bathroom scale out, weigh the front and back - add together and let us know what it actually weighs..
Also, is this motor a completely different motor then the one that YOung Ted has in Inca (earlier four-stroke) and if so any idea how they differ??
Thanks again!
Woodsy

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Woodsy - It is an entirely different bike, from start to finish. The biggest motor difference is in the valves operation. It ends up taking less energy with less cam lift - or something in that neighborhood. The weight should be close to that of the 2 stroke.

YT2

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
I haven't weighed mine but there are others (on KTMtalk) that say they did weight theirs and they say 235 - 236 - in that range (this is also what the book says).

Like I said in the write up - I don't question this as actual weight but she does not feel that heavy - feels no heavier (maybe even less) than the 200KTM's. So the weight has to be carried quite low in the bike based on how easy it is to "flick around"

Larry had similar comments after riding the bike - he said he expected it to feel heavier too.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Does it have an "O" ring chain?

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
Fred T said:
Does it have an "O" ring chain?

NOPE - no o-ring chain - no lights - no spark arrestor - and a straight thru muffler
all things you will likely need to buy - KTM says it's gov regulations - I say that KTM is trying to cheapen the final price (or maintain their mark ups) and this is how they are doing it.

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
A question for you orange bleeders-
Does the W on the end of XCF-W mean that it is for Women and when does the Man version come out? :laugh:
Don

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
"W" is for the sound you hear when they go by the WR 250 Yamaha- "Whooosh!" :moon:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Katoomer.... In the past 2-3 years I've seen you go from a CRF-250X to a 200 EXC to a YZ-250 to a 250 XCF-W, each one seemingly better than the last. You go through bikes like DW goes through polish. You're killing me!

silver

May 16, 2006
The SX-F was the hands-down winner in the power category on the track, which is why we were mystified with the dyno numbers. The KTM reached peak power at 11,500 rpm pumping out 34.8 horsepower (the YZ-F made the same peak horsepower 1000 rpm sooner). The weird thing is that 250SX-Fs, like WB's own test bike, regularly make 37 ponies. :cool: After being disappointed by the KTM's dyno run, we made a swap to another WB dyno to confirm the numbers – with the exact same result. However, the combined impressions from our track testing and the notable dyno numbers we've seen elsewhere tell us the SX-F has a top-ranked motor, regardless of what our dyno chart says. We were surprised to see that the max horsepower for the KTM was so low. So surprised in fact that we ran it on two different dynos just to be sure. The guys at White Bros were suspicious as well, since their own testing had revealed almost three more ponies. We suspect a dirty air filter or a weak clutch may have hampered its performance on the dyno. Regardless, all the bikes were tested in under the same conditions.

nzambon

Apr 19, 2003
Don the W is for wussy that is something you know to well since it seems you cannot even finish the LM. The best enduro in the country. Fred the XCF-W is not the bike for you it is a aggressive bike that has to be ridden like you stole it. I recommand a 200xc-w a nice girly bike for a guy like you . See you on the trail

Top Bottom