sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
Just figured I would ask here before I proceeded with anything. Locally there is a 00 KTM 300 for sale but the whole engine is disassembled and the cases split. The owner said he was riding one day and the bike pretty much just died out. He had the motor pulled completely apart and was told the rod for the crank was bad and was once seized at one point. Upon looking at the bike the crank and rod seemed fine but I'm not sure if I missed anything. The ROD has no movement really. Maybe very little side to side, like a mm if that. All the gears looked good as did the cylinder and the piston. Everything also seemed to rotate freely with no bearings seeming seized up from what I could tell. What else is there to really check, I don't see how the rod could of been seized up like the dealer told the owner, nothing looked out of the ordinary either. Just looks like it needs put back together but what else should I check since everything is fully apart? The price was ok, I offered a little less due to the fact I don't know exactly what the issues are and not trying to drop a butt load of money into it but overall the bike itself was in good condition. I would really like to try out a KTM and thought this was the perfect bike since I could put the whole thing back together myself knowing whats what and not guessing at what the previous owner did to the internals before buying it.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
ttt, anyone have anything for me on this?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Just so we're clear, you basically want to know if anyone here thinks it's a good idea to buy a basket case of a bike you know nothing about that has a potentially bad crank. Does that about sum it up?

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
the bike itself is in great condition as it seems so are all the internals for the motor but I was interested to what I should look at for the crank as someone told the previous owner it had seized up. The crank and everything moves smoothly and I see no issues with it but wanted to see if I am missing something so I can look at it again.

Just like any other bike I have owned, I never knew much about them till I pulled them apart which I have no problems doing, it has always worked out for me in the past. Only difference is on other bikes I have owned where the bottom end went out, it went out big time and took many other parts with it. This bike seems to be all there with no issues so I'm not sure if I'm overlooking something obvious or even the possibility the shop tried that the guy took it to tried to tell him it needed more things that it did for more money.

Tamean

~SPONSOR~
Jan 27, 2001
If the engine is sitting disassembled in his garage, for the reason that the bike died on him there's probably something wrong. Make sure the ignition works and if not negotiate that into the price.

If you say that the bike is in great condition and can see it being a great bike with it running. Spend the few hundred dollars on getting the crank rebuilt, new conn rod, piston and new bearings/seals all around. Now you have a fresh engine, and just ride it worry free.

Hope this helps

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
well I picked the bike up last week for a very reasonable price so I'm not sweating it. The crank has been looked at and is true and in fine working condition. All the pieces for the bottom end look brand new with no marking or any wear really. Just waiting for the manual to show up so I can get some specs on a few things and re-assemble the bottom end for further testing. I am use to tearing into the bottom end of my banshee which is a little different plus a lot easier as the cases sit on top of each other and not side by side. All in all, I should have this bike back together and running fairly soon and hopefully keep my total price under the $800 mark including the purchase of the bike.

Top Bottom