KTM 300 EXC one of the best all around bikes ?

desertfox

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 12, 2002
I am thinking about buying my first KTM. One of my local dealers, who rides alot himself is adviseing me to go with a 300 exc. I would like to know what you guys and ladies think. How would this compare to the 450 exc and 250 exc . I will use this for trail riding and maybe a few hare scrambles, I have a CR250 for MX. Also how reliable are they, this same dealer who rides a 300 himself is claiming over 10,000 miles on the origional top end, can this be possible?

enmerdeur

Feb 10, 2002
Can't vouch for the 10,000 miles but I have had my 300 for one year now and it has been the best money I have ever spent on a bike. Haven't had a bit of trouble with it. It still has the original spark plug. I came off a YZF when I purchased the 300 and have never regretted it. The one thing that a four stroke gives you is a higher center of gravity. I didn't realize what a difference this made until I went back to a two stroke.

Get the 300 you will not be disappointed.

Tin Man

Mar 2, 2001
Had a 98 300MXC and had no trouble at all with that bike. Purchased a new 2002 300 MXC in the spring of 2002. Other than some jetting troubles in the begining I have had no trouble since. Wanted to get a 400 4 stroke when I purchased the 300 but could not justify the additional purchase and maintenance cost of the 400. Rode a 2001 400 SX, and found that the engine felt very similar to the 300. If you don't mind a 2 stroke, the 300 has got to have the smoothest power delivery of any I have ridden.

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
Really great bikes! Pretty much all I've ever owned were big-bore XR's (500, 600, 650), so it was quite a change when I got the 300 in June of '02. I miss the four-stroke motor every now an again, mostly the low RPM roll-on torque. The 300 is a friggin' tractor compared to 250 MX bikes, but still isn't *quite* as tractable as a thumper. They haul the mail on top end too. I've yet to have any trouble with mine.

My best friend has an '03 450 EXC, I've ridden it quite a bit. The motor on that bike is really good. Lots of low-mid power but it doesn't fall on its face on top. Without a doubt its gotta lot more torque than the 300. In a flat straight line drag race, its hard to say, they feel about even.

I can really feel the higher center of gravity and extra weight of the 450. It just feels weird coming off the 300. With the 300 I feel like I can flick the bike anywhere and throw it around with no effort. The 450 just has this dead planted feel.

The best way I can describe the 250 EXC is that its pretty much like a detuned 250 MX'er. Doesn't have the grunt of the 300, is more rev-happy, etc. Still very nice machines though, with plenty of power.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
If you ride the open stuff the 300 is a tough act to follow. For tight woods the 250 was the ticket for me.

The 250 has enough power to haul me around anything in the wet side of WA and has plenty of power for the forays up the slopes of the Cascades. I've never run low on power.

Either one is a great choice

DEGBERT

Jan 30, 2001
The 300 is a great bike. I rode my 00 for two years and it still looked and felt brand new. I wish I could say the same about the YZ250's I have owned.

scooter1169

Jan 28, 2002
I'm getting ready to buy a new bike, and am trying to decide between a 300 mxc and a 450 mxc. I've been riding thumpers since I was a kid, and am currently on an xr400. But I'm getting into racing (HS/Enduro, maybe some MX), and it's obvious the XR isn't the best bike for this. I'm starting to think the 300 might be the way to go. I like that it's lighter and a little cheaper than the 450. But how big of an adjustment do you guys think it will be? The last 2-stroke I rode was a late 70's Husky.

Also, are there any major differences between the '02 and '03 300's? I've seen a couple new and nearly new '02's out there for a little less $$'s than the '03.

I need to sell one of my other bikes before the wife will let me put money into another toy. Anyone interested in a '00 Triumph Daytona or a '98 Harley Sportster? :-)

thanks

mainer

Jun 4, 2000
The 300EXC is an awesome bike but it's probably not the best for wannabee's or whiney rookies who don't want to take the time to master it's capabilities. If you have the skills to manage the power then the 300 will reward you with thumper like tractoring in the nasty and arm streching power on tap when you want/need it. KTM 2smokes are super reliable. The 250 is a super bike the 300 is just more of a good thing. Since you mx a cr250 I think you'd appreciate all the 300 has to offer.

mainer

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
I dunno mainer, I'm a whiney rookie and I loved it ;)

Seriously, inexperienced riders should beware of the 300, but if you've got at least a year of seat time you ought to be fine. Just keep it under 1/2 throttle unless you're pointed straight, standing up, and leaning forward.

scott brown

Jun 2, 2002
the 300exc would be a good choice. i have had my 2002 300 for 8 months and have not had any problems. it took me a little while to dail in the suspension. i really like my bike, it has smooth trackable power. it is good at climbing hills which we have plenty of here in tn. i mostly trail ride for fun but sometimes ride an enduro or h/s. i have had a wr250f, 400exc, and a 200exc and these are all great bikes. the 400exc has more low end but is heavier and not as quick. i hope this helps, you won't be disapointed with either bike.

desertfox

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 12, 2002
Thanks everyone for the great response to my post, I can't believe how cool the forums are at DRN. I have another question about the stock suspension, some of you talk about getting it dialed in, what are you doing? I have been reading on this forum that a few people are haveing alot of problems with the 03's. If there is already a good thread let me know where to find it. Thanks

evelknewins

Feb 13, 2003
The 300exc is the best choice for the woods here in Oregon, its light so it lifts off you easily. It starts easy in tricky situations and always holeshots at he harescrambles. I have House of Horsepower in Cottage Grove, Oregon dial my suspension for the tight woods. An FMF Gnarly with spark arrestor. Rejet a tad leaner. Moose tall seat, pro tapers, WERA dampener, M5b on the back, Trail Tech wireless odo, Steahley8oz flywheel for hilly, rocky, muddy stuff. 50\50 race, pump to avoid hat and pinging and that should keep you fat and sassy in the woods! They take a heck of a crash and require only routine maintanance. Crazy huh?
Good luck on your decision...

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by desertfox
Thanks everyone for the great response to my post, I can't believe how cool the forums are at DRN. I have another question about the stock suspension, some of you talk about getting it dialed in, what are you doing? I have been reading on this forum that a few people are haveing alot of problems with the 03's. If there is already a good thread let me know where to find it. Thanks

IN your manual it describes how to set up your rear sag. Although the book says to set static sag at 35MM, try 25 MM. Then check race sag and if it falls into the 90-105 MM range you are good on spring size. Front forks require about 40-60 MM sag when sitting on the bike if I remember. Use a zip tie on the fork tube and sit normally on the bike. Measure how much it moved. That will give you an idea if you have the right springs up front and preload is set right. My measurements on the forks may be whacked but you can find out from your dealer. At least the process is correct. Clickers settings are a personal thing. Chances are that you can take compression in a few clicks on both ends to start. I like to click them all the way in and measure how many clicks I am out. I keep that information written down so I know what I like in certian situations. For revalving and suspension help I use Enduro Engineering. www.enduroeng.com Lots of cool trick parts there too.

mainer

Jun 4, 2000
Pump high test no pinging on mine even jetted pretty close to the edge. CM, I see you made the switch to the thumper, how'd that go? Reason I ask is my new 525 just came home the other night. Power is great but am pretty sure I'll have to re-think some riding habits compared to the 300. Might switch to a short pull throttle cable to make it more 300 like. :)

maine

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
Originally posted by mainer
CM, I see you made the switch to the thumper, how'd that go?

I've only ridden the 520 once so far, but I can tell already that it's better suited for me. I really like to just lug the motor around for the most part, and this is an area where the thumper excels. I'm not really happy about the extra weight, but I'm working on a carbon and titanium diet to see if I can improve that.

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
So, short of re-valving, what is the trick to smooth out the suspension on an '03 300 EXC? I've only got about 160 miles on it so far, so I'm sure it has a ways to go to break in. I think it has about 6-7 actual hours on it. Just wondered where everyone else was starting.

Top Bottom