Aug 3, 2007
I have a 99 300 mxc that until lately started on the first kick but now will start either the first kick or not at all. Sometimes if it sits it will start on the first kick, but most of the time it doesn't. I can get it started sometimes but only after draining the carb and replacing the plug, and even after that it won't start sometimes. If anyone can give me some advice it would be appreciated. The manual calls for 95 octane, but locally 91 is all that's available. It's a head scratcher for me, behaving like an electric short but it always has juice in the wire. :bang:

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
check your kill switch, plug cap and then if that all is good look to the stator and CDI

Aug 4, 2007
you said you have spark,when it doesn't start pull the plug check that it is getting gas, if the plug isn't wet then you most likely have a pluged up jet in the carb.gas these days is
really bad,Iv'e had bikes sit for 2 months without draining the carb and had to tear down the carbs.If this is your case I would replace the carb gaskets,clean the jets with a fine
wire(i use 1 strand a 12 ga.speaker wire,veryfine strand)also remove all air\ gas screws let carb soke in carb cleaning solution .If you have never done this before take it to a shop and have them do it.good luck! ps;allways drain carb after every ride!

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
a plugged pilot jet will do the same...although the bike will act like it is running out of fuel at idle (similar to when to when the bike leans out when running on an an empty tank)

weak spark due to loss at kill switch or CDI/stator can still show up as good spark when doing a plug test, then when you put it under work load or heats up it cuts out

KaTy M

Aug 1, 2007
powerban

can someone explain to me in layman terms the powerban? SEE can't even spell it!! If I ask my husband AGAIN he's gonna go nuts!! I DO know it's not an actual object. So you can go from there. The guys at the dealer just said watch out for the powerban!!! Sounds scary and not sure if I've found it!!

Last edited:

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
The powerband is the rpm range (band) where an engine pulls strongly. Before 2 strokes had moveable exhaust port mechanisms, you had to size the ports for either low OR high rpm power, you couldn't get both. So some designs worked well at lower rpm, but ran out of breath (called a low-end powerband) or had large ports that didn't work well until high rpm (top-end powerband)- like most 85's.

KaTy M

Aug 1, 2007
powerban

Thanks so much!!Still dont know if I've found it or felt it but I do know sometimes it does feel ALOT faster when I'm really on it! Throttle monster!!! :ride:

Aug 3, 2007
I changed to a hotter plug and it starts now, but its really underpowered and revs up kind of jerky, almost like a rev limiter. it acted like this before and i forgot to say, but now it's worse. Could it be the timing?

Last edited:
Top Bottom