BarkBuster

Feb 8, 2001
I am looking for a torquey not twitchy 2 stroke. Ive ridden a 380 in the desert and woods twice and loved the smooth power, suspension. Would the 300 be similar? I see a some 300s around, but not many 380s. I do mostly midwest enduros, few HS. any info would be apreciated.
bb

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
The 300 is a solid bike, although it doesn't have the bottom end (obviously) that the 380 does. Both are wheelspin kings - it's all about throttle control. Dad went through both before settling on a 450EXC. FWIW, he wanted the 380 back after he got the 300, but he's a pretty good sized young 'un. He said a flywheel weight and a couple of extra base gaskets to lower the compression on the 380 and it would have been "right". He also had some jetting issues on his 380 and had to run 50/50 race/pump gas to eliminate bottom-end blubber. Once it was dialed in though it was a beast. One thing he said he liked about the 300 was that in 3rd gear, you could go from walking speed to haulin' without shifting - great in the woods. Now that I've thoroughly confused you I'll hush ;)

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
I love em both. The 300 is shy on big torque, think about the 300 like a big bore 250cc motocrosser. It is torquier than a 250 but still pulls really well in the revs. The 380 is getting more like a typical big bore with more low end grunt and the ability to lug up hills. I actually prefer the bigger engine for the tight stuff, as it has enough torque to plod along slowly up a technial hillclimb. The 300 has more than enough power, however the torque is just not quite enough to lug my 230 pounds up the technical hills. That makes the 380 an easier bike to ride for me. I also like the fact that the bigger engine does not work as hard during play rides.

Chris

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
As mentionded above, I think size (lbs.) has a lot to do with getting a 380, or if you are an old school open class 2-stroke junkie. A KTM 300 with a Delta II reed cage on the low setting is an absolute tractor. The 380 is faster on top by about 5 mph with similar gearing. If you are looking for total power get the 380. If you are looking for the 'perfect' bike (Which is still produced and easy to sell) get the 300. But YOUR body weight is a factor.

BarkBuster

Feb 8, 2001
Thanks guys for all the info. It's really hard to get any info on the 380 around here cause everyone's scared of em! I think this is why it's harder to sell one also......but better for a buyer like me that can get a good deal.

FYI, Im about 185lbs currently ride a frp kdx220. I love the bike, It has great low end but you have to have the revs just right for those technical hills and corners. It seemed to me that the 380 had a little more power on low end and was a little more forgiving where more power is needed and in choppy stuff. I'm a B- enduro rider. I would use both bikes depending on which one is better for the terrain.
bb

BarkBuster

Feb 8, 2001
I decide against the 380 after the enduro yesterday. It would have been nice on the hills, but It would've been too much everywhere else. I think I'll look for something lighter with smooth power like the 200exc or 250exc. I think the 300, 380 are excellent for desert or general trailriding or enduros,HS for heavier riders.
bb

Top Bottom