ktm 400 EXC suspension Setup

bobby

Oct 24, 1999
I'm about 180 pounds and ride mostly trails. My scoot has stock spring - clickers firmed up 3 clicks from stock on the compression side. It bottoms on jumps but otherwise isn't too bad. Any of comparable size re-sprung? Recommendations?

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
You are right on the edge for needing a PDS3 rear spring. I just sold my 400 but if I kept it I would have put in the PDS3. I weigh 185 w/o gear. Try some .44s in the front also. Keep us posted.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
I'm 205 in street clothes. I went to the PDS3 in back and .46's up front. I'd think you'd need the 3 in back and .44's, as bobby suggested. My suspension is now the best I've ever ridden on for single track woods riding.

rickshaw

Sponsoring Member
Sep 24, 2000
thanks for the posts on the suspension setup. I had a problem with the front tire washing out or sliding out. My first change was to set the rear sag. The front end is better, but I still think the stock tire is junk and plan on using a 756 or Michelin S2.

I ride northern michigan soft stuff. Any advice or comments?

I thought to make this change first then change the front springs.

Thanks,

triplephatmx

Jun 5, 2001
Hey RickShaw!! I have the same bike, weigh 190lb. and ride northern MI sandy trails and here is what I did:

Tires - Dunlop 756 fr & rr (you're right - the stock Bridgestones are junk for our kind of terrain)

Forks - Raised 10mm in clamp, revalved for better Low/High speed compression and I like the .44's (oil height you'll have to set to your type of riding)

Shock - Stock! I set the sag and ended up being happiest w\ 105mm. Static sag is good with this setting, so I haven't gone to a different spring, but I could if I wanted. it's right on the bubble.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!! :cool:

rickshaw

Sponsoring Member
Sep 24, 2000
Michigan Spodefest

triplephatmx, why don't you join us for a trail ride in October??? check out the "Places to Ride" Michigan Trailfest - great bunch of guys from all different riding abilities.

thanks for the reply on suspension setup.

triplephatmx

Jun 5, 2001
Thanks Man! I've been talking to MWEISSEN about going. Sounds like a great time. Hope to see you there!!! BTW, where you at in Howell. I used to live in Novi and have friends in Howell!!

rickshaw

Sponsoring Member
Sep 24, 2000
I live between Brighton and Howell. Brighton schools, Howell mailing address, and Genoa Township taxes. My coordinates are the corner of Brighton Rd. and Chilson Rd.

Watch out for Mark!!! see you in October???

SlowJack

Jul 27, 2000
Rick -- I was having trouble with a twitchy front end also, and it didn't seem to want to stick. The answer turned out to the compression settings... two clicks softer solved the problem, and at BillZ's advice, I sped up the rebound just a tad.

Top Bottom