MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Ok here is the deal, I have ridden the EXC and was pretty disappointed. It felt underpowered and kinda slow to me. I have NOT ridden the SX but have heard that its does NOT dissapoint. I really want to ride some enduros (need headlight etc). My questions are these:
1: Can you put an SX flywheel on the EXC.
2. Does it wake it up make it feel like the SX?
3. Is there a timing difference like the WR/YZF?
Other than that and the gearing diff's I can't see why they would feel so much different (as I'm told).
4. Is the exhaust on the EXC restricted vs the SX?

B

biglou

Eddie-I'm almost positive that the can is different on the exhaust. Non-spark arrested and a bit more "bark" to the SX one. I also think the suspension is stiffer/different on the SX.

I rode one last summer. I know you don't need the compression release to kick them over. Easy to start. It didn't feel weak by any means, but then again, it wasn't like "OMG, my arm sockets!", either. :)

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
The KTM 400 comes geared way tall..Like 100mph tall.
The bike feels weak until you make yourself stay in first gear when you'd normally be in 2nd, etc. It's definitely not a rip-your-arms-off bike like Lou said, but it's not a slow turd by any means.
The one I rode was a '02 400SX.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Hmm.. maybe I wasn't very clear. I was disappointed in the EXC. I haven't ridden the SX but have heard that it feels much more powerful and fun to ride. I am wondering if you can get the EXC to run like the SX fairly easily.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Pssst, hey, try the 520 :eek:

I'm sure Strick(400sx) or Jeb(400EXC) have some idea's. I'll wait for them before dumping the wrong info.

B

biglou

LOL! I was thinking the same thing about the 520. You should have ridden crusty's down at Chadrock, Eddie! :) CAL seemed to really like it. Plus, I think it weighs the same as the 400.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Eddie, when are you thinking on taking the plunge? KTM will have the 450 out in August or early Sept. Also I am planning the make the '02 Spodefest. You can ride mine there. Although I am sending the engine to Eric Gorr in Late November/early December to make it a 450.

MY bike does bark. It may even bite occassionally, but not like a 520 in the powerband. I must tell you that when I went from my 300 to the 400 the first 3 rides I thought I had made a BIG mistake! It felt so underpowered. So, I would agree that a stock EXC must feel doggy. I know a stock MXC does. You do need to rev these bikes a little more than your basic 4stroke also.

On most of the 400's, jetting and pipe is the answer to the hidden potential.

I really wish you had ridden my bike in February. Remember, big 'ole Bundy bought one, and he is happy!

Last edited:

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
TTR, After having ridden the 520's for 2-3 seasons, I can assure you, going to the SX400 was no disapointment for me. The tall gearing can be dealt with 13/52 sprockets, and the jetting mods gave the 400 all the snot I need. It wont pull the front wheel in 5th and 6th like the 520's, but anything before that, I believe It'll hang.
Question is,... to make an SX into a woods bike, or to make the EXC a more competetive race bike. I'm a big guy, so I chose to start with the SX's stiffer suspension, (48mm forks vs 43mm) and soften the dampening a bit for woods stuff. The SX will start off with more power than the EXC due to the flywheel, silencer, and less weight,.. and there is more to be had through jetting, ect. I'm sure the same power can be had with the EXC by swapping exhaust, jetting, and installing an SX flywheel. Not sure if the SX flywheel will work the stator though. But you can always have your EXC flywheel ground to SX weight without sacrificing the E-start and lights. I believe the cam timing is the same, so no sacrifice there.
OBTW, the power gains are relatively cheap;
Silencer- $240
Jetting - EMN or DMN needle, 170 main, $10
1~ sec a/p timing - $free
Flywheel groung - $100

Last edited:

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
Strick if the Gorr 450 kit works like the EE450 kit you will not be dissappointed, my EE450 kitted MXC absolutely RIPS!

Coach in ND

Mar 19, 2001
I have never been disapointed in either of my 400's. Both my '01 SX and '02 MXC have impressed me right out of the box. Of course it depends what you are comparing it to...... and what level you are riding at. It also depends on the terrain and soil you are riding in. For sandy terrain, I prefer a 520 to my 400.

You can get some noticable gains from jetting and exhaust. I doubt there is much of a horsepower gain, but it makes the bike much more responsive. The only performance things I have changed on my MXC are the jetting, including re-timing the AP, installing a Pro Circuit T4 exhaust, and opening up the airbox.

Coach

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Thanks for the reply's fellas. I have ridden the 520 (although it was in Reno - Desert NOT tight woods). I have recently been thinking that maybe the 520 would be too much for me in the tight trees, so thats my main reason for thinking about the 400 EXC vs SX. I haven't been riding long enough to have the talent that someone like Endoqwest so I think I have to try and 'muscle' the bike around more. I realize ALL of these bikes are lighter than my TTR but after running a 2 hr HS recently I definitely need to get something lighter and faster. Strick, how does your SX compare to your 300? If it has 50% more power than Aimee's 200 then maybe thats what I'm looking for. Probably won't be able to trade up before DW02 :(

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
The 400E is a bit soft on the bottom, no question. Same kind of enduro powerband there that my 99 250EXC had, too. Gearing it down and working the clutch is the way to go there. I've also done some jetting tweaks, the AP timing thing and re-routing the crankcase breather. All of those give you a bit more lowend power but it's never going to be like a 426 or 520, thank goodness. I used to race a 98 380M in the tight woods and it would tire me out and then jump up and down on me. A soft lowend, in my experience, pays big dividends in long technical riding. I've not ridden a 400SX or a 520 so I can't make any comparisons.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Eddie -

50% more than a 200? I dunno. My 300 I think had 50% when you consider the entire powerband, but not 50% more in the meat of it. Keep in mind a 300 will pull around 42-43hp. The 200 stock was rated by DB at 33hp. A 380 was rated at around 51. The 400 pulls 41-42 based on the results I have heard. My 400 pulls harder than a 200, not as hard as the 300, but give a lot more down low, and is very friendly in the tight/twisty stuff. Jeb's 400 is probably even better in the tight stuff than mine, I'm sure.

My SX also has a 52t rear sprocket (stock is 50), that made a big difference as well. I still think if you stay in the powerband like I do (I ride mine more like a 2-stroke in the desert) that it reminds you of a 2 stroke. My bike is VERY snappy. A lot of 4stroke guys don't like it, because it is more like a CRF or YZ.

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Eddie,

I havent ridden a 400EXC or MXC only my SX and Stricks, so I dont have a good comparison between the two. But I can tell you the reasons behind my getting one.
I have had YZ-400`s and still have a WR-400 and my 250F.
I basically like the 400 for the same reason that I love the 250F. You ride it all day and have a grin ear to ear with out tireing out.
It feels alot lighter in motion than the 400F`s, almost as light as my 250F.
It still has a 6 speed, so mph is not a problem.
But pure raw horsepower is not its forte. It gets the job done with smothness and finesse.
Last time we all went out to Phelan, Desert Racer and I raced up the big sand hill. He got me on his 520, but I actually got the jump and he could not make it up untill the last third of the hill. ( note, this hill climb is about a quarter mile long, and at a steep incline ) And I spot him a good 50#.
But dont confuse smoothness with being slow. My bike doesnt " feel " no where near as fast as a 426F, not even close, but guess what. You have to ride the snoot out of it to pass me on one, and then when the guy is tired I`ll get him back.
This whole thing got started for me because at the WORCS race at Lauglin last year, I was on the 250F. I got a good start but could only watch as all the riders on the bigger bikes waved By-By on all the straights (this race was almost like a full blown desert race ) . It was extreamly sandy and my bike would only pull 4th gear down the straights. but you know what, I ended up winning my class. I never really got tired and I just out lasted them.
So I got to thinking that the 400Sx would be a good compromise, light but with more power than the 250F. And so far it hasent dissapointed.
Its like this Eddie, the 520 probably make for the funner PLAY bike, but the 400 I think will make the better race bike. Especially for enduro`s and H/S racing.
Just to sum it up, Mike Lafferty himself told me, 400 TO WIN-520 TO GRIN! :p

Bundy

Top Bottom