DH Dad

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2003
I'm probably getting lazy but I've decided to find a 4 stroke with an electric start, I want to enjoy this sport not fight with a kick start on a bigger 4 stroke.

I like the WR250 but it's very high at 39"+ seat height. I think the 2004 Honda CRF250X will be nice but it's late fall at best for availability. So I found this used 400 EXC that was never raced and is not overly $$$ as a new KTM would be.

All the specs. I've found online for this bike state that it had (no longer sold after 2002) a 36.4" seat height which isn't bad since I've sat on a KLX300R with that seat height, a 246lb. dry weight which again isn't bad considering it has an electric start which to me is worth the 14 lbs. dry weight over the KLX300R kick start. I've also found some very good reviews on this bike.

I'll be using it for mostly trailriding, some single track and technical rocky terrain, as well as power line riding and I'll be registering it for the street since I'm planning on riding to the trails. Probably a 10/90% street/trail breakdown. Any thoughts on this bike?

Looks like it might be a good option for me. I'm checking it out tonight.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I pick up an '02 400 tomorrow afternoon.  My racing days are over and I will using it to trail ride.  I have ridden a couple of 400s and I loved the engine.  It will make power at a twist of the wrist and is forgiving if you find yourself in the wrong gear.

I am going riding on Saturday with some buddies here in Michigan. :flame:

DH Dad

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2003
Sounds like it's a good bike option and may actually feel shorter than the KLX300 due to the narrower seat. Assuming it's in good condition when I check it out (owner said he it's never been down, never raced and he changes oil every other ride plus replaced the chain/sprocket each year) does $3900 sound like a good deal? It does to me but that's simply based on how much these bikes are new.

It's a 2000 and he's upgrading to a 2003 450exc so he obviously likes it.

DH Dad

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2003
Just before heading up to check it out I called the guy and he told me that as he was getting the bike ready for me to check out the clutch went. Said the price would come down but I'm not looking for a project, simply a bike I can enjoy on the trails. I've got enough projects at home.

Back to the drawing board. Guess I'll just keep riding my wife's TTR125LE around the yard, it's a perfect size for our land.

dirtfreak

Feb 16, 2003
Hey man, don't give up on a great bike like the 400 just b/c the clutch went and you'll have to replace it. Trust me man, it's not that big of a deal replacing it (it is a little pricey), and there are a lot bigger things that could've gone wrong, especially on a four stroke. See if the price he's asking for it now is what you'll be paying to replace the clutch, then decide. A little work never hurt anybody.

--dirtfreak

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I went on my first trail ride on my new (well, it is an '02) 400 EXC.  I had a great time.  My conclusion was...I should have bought the bike sooner (I made the switch from a 300 EXC).  I would recommend to anyone who may be undecided on whether to buy this bike would be - do not hesitate, find a good deal and buy it.

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
DH DAD -

a blown clutch is no biggie, seriously. its almost axiomatic with dirt bikes. replacing clutches is like replacing tires: you never know when, and its different for everyone, but you know those tires will wear out sooner or later.

the good news is that on a bike like the EXC400 your clutch replacements should be few and far between unless you are somehow freakishly abusive to them.

repeat, clutch replacement is no big whoop.

jeremiah

ocechap

~SPONSOR~
Sep 12, 2002
fatherandson, I am lookin at a 450exc vs a 300exc. I know you have the 400 instead of the 450 but how does the 400 handle compared to the 300? Does the 400 have any more power than the 300? Just curious why you like the 400 better unless its the estart and low end power?

Thanks,

Jim

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Jim,

I typically trail ride and I feel I was faster on the 400.  Most of the guys that I ride with mentioned that I was moving quicker than last year.  The low end power was great.  If I found myself in the wrong gear, a quick slip of the clutch and I was flying to the next corner.  I think both handled the same.  The bonus was the e button!

Mike

ocechap

~SPONSOR~
Sep 12, 2002
fatherandson, thanks, sounds like the 450 would just be easier to ride although a grand more expensive is a lot to pay for electric start and a little more torque. Hey, it's all what you want anyway. Good luck with it.

Jim

Top Bottom