RMcommando

Aug 19, 2003
hi guys

i need to decide what ktm to get. I like the 525 but wonder if it will have too much power and the 450 a better choice. I will be using it for roads, trails and **** tracking. what is the maintenace like on the 450 compared to the 525. what is the best bike to get? i am an experienced rider and i like the power of a good thumper.
any comments would be much appreciated.

cheers

zoran :yeehaw:

knobbiethrower

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2000
Can't go wrong with either. My opinion is if you are going to race it, 450 is the way to go, if you are going to just trail ride or dual sport you'll want the 525. Maintenance would be the same for both.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I've got the 450 and it's more than enough power for me. I haven't ridden a 525 yet but I've heard that they are both the same weight. I rode an XR400 before the 450 and the 450 feels like it's 20 pounds lighter, but it's not. It's just that the bike is laid out so well that it feels much lighter than it actually is. I think knobbiethrower is right though, you can't go wrong with either. I can say that I've not once ever kicked myself and thought I should have gotten the 525. Maintenance should be the same on both. Just keep the oil clean and you'll be good to go!

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I was talking to Larry Roeseler at his KTM shop a couple of months ago and he said between the 2 he prefers the 450. Larry is a full on WFO racer so I think this tends to support what knobbythrower said---450 if you're gonna race, 525 for trail. Personally I prefer big CCs' for tackling those monster hills!

Dan Post

Oct 21, 2000
I went from a KX 500 to a KTM 450mxc and never looked back. Even with my size and weight 6'3 225 lbs it has been a kick....... :yeehaw:

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
Im a light guy but I prefer the 525 over the 450 because of all of that weight. The 450 often times it feels as if there is not enough spunk, but there is enough to get the job done. I would rather have the 525 to get it done easier.

HeavyC

Apr 21, 2004
I've got a 99 KX500 and an 04 KTM525MXC. They're both a blast to ride, they just lay the power down a bit differently. Like they say, "there's no replacement for displacement". LOL

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
Maintanance, lets start there. I have a 04 450EXC. oil change every other ride. check valve adjustment every 5 rides. intakes get tighter. clean oil filter every 5 rides. replace jetting. 45 hous on the motor, and 625 miles on the bike. both bikes will make more noise than you can imagine, but thats just their nature.
As far as what bike? RAHRAH, you weigh less than me! a 450 is plenty for the woods, and plenty of spunk if jetted right. the 525 is more suited for WFO both weigh darn near the same.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
Ahh... I'm having a similar dilemna as I can't decide between the 525 and 450 EX/C. Maximizing durability is important to me, and since the bike will be taking up dual sport duties the 525 may be the better choice. Offroad, the bike will be used on high speed fire roads and open trails.

Then again, I only weigh 165lbs..

It may just come down to availability. Motorcycle brokers have some nice deals on the 525.

Top Bottom