KTM 450sx, 525sx, 300exc/mxc or Honda 450F?

BellevegasB

May 15, 2002
Hi,

I'm looking for a new bike. I currently have a 02 DRZ400S which I bought for my first bike mainly because I wasn't sure if I would be doing more dirt riding or street riding. It turns out I do more dirt riding, and I would like a lighter, more focused bike. I think I'm most interested in the bikes listed above. Coming off of a 4 stroke, I think it's a better bike for the kind of riding I do (mostly woods), but I am open to the idea of a 2 stroke. So.... I really like the KTM 450/525sx bikes the most, but I'm worried about them only having 4 gears. I would like to be able to wind the bike over 75 mph. I'm not willing to consider the 450/525exc/mxc because of weight. Any ideas/suggestions/opinions? Thanks in advance!

Nordegg

Nov 5, 2002
There is a pretty easy solution to your problem. You can easily (and cheaply) add the two extra gears to an SX. That should give you a top end WELL over 75mph (try 90+) on the bike you want. The gears from the KTM six speeds go right in.

As for comparing the CRF with the KTMs, the 450s are pretty close, just depends on your flavour of choice. The 525 is great, just be prepared when you twist the loud handle. Many people find the 525 requires too much throttle control in tight situations. The power comes on smoothly, but there is a LOT of it. Most people will actually be faster in the woods on a 450.

Have fun!

BellevegasB

May 15, 2002
Thanks for the info, Nordegg. I was not aware that you could add the gears to the SX. Would you have to adjust all the ratios, or can you just add the gears? That might be the way for me to go. Any other opinions out there?

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
Hmmmmm, KTM or Honda, that's a tough one. I tend to lean toward Orange myself, so I'm ever so slightly opinionated, so my advice probably doesn't count. Actually, I have owned both and either would be an excellent choice! Good Luck.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
You dont have to be able to go 90 to ride trails. On the 2 stroke side theres the KDX200/220. The tests say 69mph on flat roads. For 4 stroke Id get a 300EXC or a 450SX if you ever feel the urge to race.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom