ktm 450sx street comfort/enduro conversion/title question

kremecheze

Sep 18, 2008
does anyone have a pic of there ktm title

i am about to purchase a ktm,i have head there titles are easy to register,my title for my honda sais for off road use only,i have heard that ktm's do not say this,so they are easier to get a plate for,any info on making them street legal is helpful,it is a ktm 450sx 05,and it is either gonna be titled in new jersey or new york

kremecheze

Sep 18, 2008
ktm 450sx street comfort

i have a cr250,but i'mm tradin it for an 05 ktm 450sx,i was wondering if anyone knows this thing would handle on the street,by that i mean will i be able to take a 2mile hike down the road to another trail,the bike has 4 gears.any help is appreciated

Nickbob43

Feb 1, 2005
05 KTM450SX converting to Enduro

I want to make this bike Enduro legal. I want to put a headlight on it and a stator that will handle a head light. I don't need a Baja light, just the bare minimum to make me Enduro legal. I'd also like to put a bit larger gas tank on it.

Any recommendations for a cheep lighting kit and gas tank?

Point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Nickbob43

Feb 1, 2005
I wouldn't try and make the bike just for the street. Comfort? No. I have riden mine supermoto and it does pretty good but the close ratio 4 speed gear box gives trouble when you gear it tall. I smoked my clutch because I had too tall of a ratio.

Nickbob43

Feb 1, 2005
The KTM title does not say "Off road use only" on it. It all depends on what state you are from and how the local authorities deal with this kind of thing.

My friend bought a XR650R in Michigan. We live in Illinois. He bought the bike with the Baja designs light and blinker kit and before he left the dealership they signed the bike over as a street legal machine and he was able to transfer the title as a "Street" title back in Illinois. If you try and buy the same bike in Illinois is very difficult to get it street legal. We found a hole in the system and the bike is legal.

You should be fine making the KTM street legal. Make sure the bike has properly working, street legal lights and take it to the department of motor vehicles for their approval.

On that note I am trying to do almost the same thing with my bike. I want a stator and light kit for it. Where do I go to buy this kind of thing? I want it to be Enduro legal.

sloopy

Feb 16, 2004
if you are going to ride this bike on the street and then trail buy a extra rear 18"wheel with a 52 tooth rear sprocket and some knobby tires for the trail riding, that will gear you down enough.

Nickbob43

Feb 1, 2005
I just checked Enduro engineering for a lighting kit for my 05 KTM 450 SX and they do not have one. At least they don't have one on the website.

Any other ideas?

sloopy

Feb 16, 2004
call enduro engineering they are super nice guys and will guide you in the right direction. you will need to install a stator, i do know that much. good luck.

kremecheze

Sep 18, 2008
i decided to keep my cr250,and just buy a ktm some time in the future,i got to good a deal on my bike to trade it for sumthin heavier and slower,but i will street a ktm soon

Hevster1

May 2, 2000
If you want to title any bike which is not street legal in NJ it can no longer be done. The state has a list of "illegal" bikes. Now I have heard of a few riders getting them through but it is next to impossible.
NY offers a trail plate.

The CR is lighter and probably as fast or faster. Emissions regs are causing the changeover. Big 4 strokes have an advantage in long outdoor mx. Besides the best racers race the bike the factory tells them to.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Check out Baja Designs for a lighting kit for your bikes.

The newer KTMs come street legal if you get the EXC version.

The SX does not have a battery, so it will require more modifications.

The MXC version has the wiring loom, but is missing the lights.

Good luck with getting them licensed. Maybe if you buy one from out of state that is already licensed in another state. It is relatively easy here in Texas.

Top Bottom